Why can't I get any audio when I use my TV as a monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TezaStone, Jan 9, 2013.

1. TezaStone macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2012
    I have an old model (2010) Macbook Pro...the kind that only transfers video but not audio through the hdmi cable.

I have this tv:

With these terminals:

Component In
    RF Input
    Ethernet (LAN)
    DVI Audio In
    Optical Digital Audio
    Audio Output
    HDMI Ports 2

So I can get video with a mini-dvi to hdmi adaptor and hdmi cable, but I can't get sound.

I didn't know what "in" and "out" meant when it came to terminals ( complete newbie at this!) so I tried an audio cable, an optical digital audio cable and a DVI Audio cable. The audio and optical digital audio didn't work becuse they're output terminals, but neither did the DVI Audio in!

Am I doing something wrong? Is there no way to get sound from my Macbook Pro to this tv???

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
  2. takeshi74, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    You have to use the audio connector for the input you're using. HDMI inputs generally do not have separate audio connections because HDMI carries audio.

I found the manual for your TV but it doesn't have a clear diagram of all the connections on the back. Can you provide a photo? The manual seems to indicate that the only audio input is for the component input despite what you've stated.

I've never heard of a DVI audio connector or cable. Can you provide photos?

What I suspect is that the DVI audio input is for use with HDMI input 1 since the manual refers to "HDMI IN 1 (DVI), 2". Note that DVI is in parenthesis after HDMI 1 but not after HDMI 2.

It also states "To connect the TV to a digital device that does not support HDMI output, use an HDMI to DVI cable and separate audio cables" but it never says where to connect the audio cables. A connector named "DVI Audio In" would make sense if that was the case.

This commonly posted guide

seems to indicate that you can have audio over HDMI with your MBP using a specific adapter from Monoprice.
  3. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010

Btw, it is not Mini DVI what you have, it is Mini DisplayPort.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Feb 9, 2011
    Yep. There you go: