Why can't I get iTunes to convert more than 1:59:06 of an mp3 into AAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mistyz23, Sep 10, 2007.

1. mistyz23 macrumors member

mistyz23

Every time I try to convert some audiobook files in mp3 format to AAC, it stops at this time. I've tried other files and I just can't figure out what setting is making it stop short of converting the whole 8 hour file. I've exhausted my ideas of how to fix this. I'd appreciate some input. Thanks! :D

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. mp3 to AAC? What kind of digital alchemy are you trying to pull?
    2. Max

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My guess is that it has something to do with the chapters or bookmarks, since you noted that they're audiobooks. I've never tried to convert an MP3 audiobook, though, so I have no idea.

I think in get info, you can force iTunes to ignore some of these features of the audiobook, can't you? Perhaps if you do that, it'll convert.

I'm sure Max (excellent recommendation, above) can do it also, although I'm not sure that Max will preserve bookmarks or anything like that.

But also, why are you converting them? What's the benefit?

Also a quick google search suggested you might like this piece of software...

http://www.splasm.com/audiobookbuilder/

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Ah yes, bookmarks.

5. mistyz23 thread starter macrumors member

mistyz23

Max looks like an awesome app, but it won't even begin to work on my files. The mp3 plays fine, but I think I did something screwy to it. I used Switch to convert to a .wav and am trying an .aac conversion through iTunes. If it stops in this place again I will try to use the unbookmark script by Doug. I also clicked the option in 'get info' to have start time at the beginning and end at the end. There were no odd times inputted into it, but hopefully selecting those will force it to stop and start there, as suggested above.

Thanks for the ideas! I will post up my results in a few mins.

6. mistyz23 thread starter macrumors member

mistyz23

Muahahaha! Thanks for the help. I got it to convert the whole file. I'm not sure which option worked, changing the get info or just re-ripping the file. Either way, I get to geek out to Harry Potter once more.

Thanks again!

7. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

The only audio book I bought from iTunes (iWoz, naturally) comes in 4 parts, with no part longer than 2 hours.