Why can't I have a week view in calendars?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Am I the only one that works in chunks of a week?

I want a view that shows me a week at a glance, but Apple will only show me a month or a day or some combination on the iPhone. Can't I just see Sunday though Saturday side by side, in a full 24 hour grid?

Am I some kind of dinosaur?

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
The standard calendar app is severely crippled. It doesn't have a proper week view, doesn't allow copying and pasting appointments and cannot be compared with the available 3rd party options. Just have a look at Week Calendar for example.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The standard calendar app is severely crippled. It doesn't have a proper week view, doesn't allow copying and pasting appointments and cannot be compared with the available 3rd party options. Just have a look at Week Calendar for example.
But it has had a week view for some time now (even before iOS 7).

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Why can't I have a week view in calendars?

I love it the way it is, as long as the split agenda view is visibly that's what matters to me. :)

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
it displays only 5 days max. This is for me no week view.
So because it doesn't work for you then you say it doesn't have one at all? Sorry, but who died and made you king of iOS calendar features? You can say that a work week view doesn't meet your needs and that you need a full week view, but that doesn't mean you go around telling others that it doesn't have a week view at all.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So because it doesn't work for you then you say it doesn't have one at all? Sorry, but who died and made you king of iOS calendar features? You can say that a work week view doesn't meet your needs and that you need a full week view, but that doesn't mean you go around telling others that it doesn't have a week view at all.
To be fair, he did say "this is for me no week view."

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
To be fair, he did say "this is for me no week view."
First he said:

This implies that the standard calendar app doesn't have a week view AT ALL. Then once someone pointed out the fact that it does have a work week view he responded:

it displays only 5 days max. This is for me no week view.
In other words, he doesn't consider the work week view to count as a week view. That's a pretty narrow definition of what constitutes a week. When he tells other users, who clearly aren't aware of work week view at all, that the calendar app is "severely crippled" because "it doesn't have a proper week view," then he is doing those other users a disservice. He's forcing his narrow definition of what constitutes a "proper week view" on them by failing to give them all the available information.

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
Don't you have anything better to do?

Most calendar programs have a work day week view and a full 7 days week view.

The iPhone 5S displays 5 days when you turn it sideways, but the iPhone 4S displays only 3 days, so this is not a week view!

The calendar program should offer at least one of the two views, for all devices. There is also no week view in portrait mode.

Is it now clear enough for everybody?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Don't you have anything better to do?

Most calendar programs have a work day week view and a full 7 days week view.

The iPhone 5S displays 5 days when you turn it sideways, but the iPhone 4S displays only 3 days, so this is not a week view!

The calendar program should offer at least one of the two views, for all devices. There is also no week view in portrait mode.

Is it now clear enough for everybody?
To be fair, if you tried to show all 7 days, it would be quite small and hard to make out what the events were for each day. The way it is now, you can easily scroll to the side to see the other days.

Not ideal, but I can definitely see why this is how they've set up the week view.

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
To be fair, if you tried to show all 7 days, it would be quite small and hard to make out what the events were for each day. The way it is now, you can easily scroll to the side to see the other days.

Not ideal, but I can definitely see why this is how they've set up the week view.
Yes, I also can see why they did that, but imagine having an iPhone 4 user trying to find the week view, because he just read this thread...
There are also other calendar apps that do offer a full week view on the iPhone, and size isn't an issue.

----------

First he said:

This implies that the standard calendar app doesn't have a week view AT ALL. Then once someone pointed out the fact that it does have a work week view he responded:

In other words, he doesn't consider the work week view to count as a week view. That's a pretty narrow definition of what constitutes a week. When he tells other users, who clearly aren't aware of work week view at all, that the calendar app is "severely crippled" because "it doesn't have a proper week view," then he is doing those other users a disservice. He's forcing his narrow definition of what constitutes a "proper week view" on them by failing to give them all the available information.
Forcing? Who is forcing anything here? I just explained how I see things. The standard calendar app is just bad, and thank god there are many good 3rd party ones that do a much better job.

dcpmark

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009

That's not true at all. Week Calendar shows all your daily events clearly in 7-day week mode (called Agenda), in both portrait and landscape. Since it only lists the events, and not the hours that you DON'T have events, there is usually plenty of room each day. I have my week starting Mondays so Sat & Sun are slightly smaller than work days, but that works for me. Works on my iPad Mini just as well as my iPhone, and everything syncs.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That's not true at all. Week Calendar shows all your daily events clearly in 7-day week mode (called Agenda), in both portrait and landscape. Since it only lists the events, and not the hours that you DON'T have events, there is usually plenty of room each day. I have my week starting Mondays so Sat & Sun are slightly smaller than work days, but that works for me. Works on my iPad Mini just as well as my iPhone, and everything syncs.
Which is why I was referring to the way in which Apple has implemented it. Sure, if they showed only the events you had that day, that would help, but as it currently stands, in portrait mode, they show the whole day with the events spaced out, not collapsed by when events are actually scheduled.