iPad Why can't I STILL get a Retina icon for saving a website to my home screen?

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
You would think that by now, with almost ALL devices running iOS 6 being Retina devices, Apple would offer Retina icons for saved sites on the home screen. But no, I have this ugly icon sitting in my dock.

Since there is no JB for iOS 6 and the iPad 3 yet, am I stuck with this icon?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What icons are you speaking of specifically? If you're talking about generic, random websites on the Internet, the retina icon would be the responsibility of that sites developers.

needfx

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
You would think that by now, with almost ALL devices running iOS 6 being Retina devices, Apple would offer Retina icons for saved sites on the home screen. But no, I have this ugly icon sitting in my dock.

how ugly is it? Post a shot

bearda

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2005
Roanoke, VA
If it's the logo of the company that created the website that can't be something that Apple created. It's probably the favicon of the site or something. Chances are it's the guys who created the site that need to come up with a higher resolution graphic. It's not like Apple has a horde of graphic designers locked in a basement somewhere churning out home screen icons for every page on the web....

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2011
True. I know when I ca JB it, there is a way to make the icon hi res. I just gotta wait till then

needfx

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
Uploading from Tapatalk.

It's the black icon on the left of my dock. It's the website I use for work, so I like easy access quick. It just looks like crap.
that's not too bad

lack of a reflection on top, and lots of pixels, but I believe you can live with it.

Or else, you can create a favicon.png and forward it to your webmaster | Google the specs

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Uploading from Tapatalk.

It's the black icon on the left of my dock. It's the website I use for work, so I like easy access quick. It just looks like crap.

This icon has nothing to do with Apple. You'd need to contact the webmaster of that site and ask them if the would make a retina version favicon for their site.