Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samuir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
hi there, i have question regarding on ichat.. im using it to call over to dubai, however we are not able to start a video conference, i did some research on this and mostly recommend to the its port server to 443. initially its does wk but however now seem to have problem with it nw...so could anyone out there help me? thanks alot

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
First off, are they using iChat on their end as well? Or do they have a full-fledged videoconferening endpoint (i.e. Polycom, Tandberg, etc.)?

If the latter, iChat won't work. However there is a piece of software for the Mac called XMeeting that will work just fine.

Other than this, you should check and see if there are any firewalls between you and the other end that are blocking incoming connections.

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
I don't know if it's an iChat problem, as I never use the program myself.

I will say that the UAE government is known to censor/filter Internet traffic, especially when it comes to social networking and similar. Could be they've determined a way to block the video content of your chat, which could otherwise be used to share images and sound with ease?

samuir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2008
why cant i use ichat to start a video conference with personnel at UAE (Dubai)?

hi...thanks for ur reply....yeh both party using ichat and skype dnt seems to wk too...i using OS 10.5.2 Leopard so how i know whether am i block by firewall? coz from my firewall setting, the mode indicated allow all incoming, ...thanks

se6git

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
I have similar problems with video and audio within one country (Sweden). The cure seems to be restarting iChat when the other party is online. I think it is a firewall issue. When starting iChat I am asked if iChat can accept calls, which I say yes to but I think it only accepts from those who are online as the program starts. Those who come online after this initial procedure remain blocked by the firewall for video and audio, though not for text.
This seems to work for me but I make no claims as to the validity of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.