Why can't the '12 15" non-Retina MBP run 3 monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 50thVert, Jun 14, 2012.

1. 50thVert, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

50thVert macrumors regular

The RMBP and MBP have the same CPU/GPU combo, yet the RMBP can display it's screen @ 2880x1800 plus two externals @ 2560x1600 apiece. What gives? Is this a stupid software limitation or do we need that second Thunderbolt port to drive the second external monitor?

2. wmage macrumors member

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Op calm down bro as mentioned above you can run 2x thunderbolt (or 1x thunderbolt 1x cinema display) monitors on any TB macbook pro except for the Air and perhaps the MBP 13" i believe.

4. 50thVert, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012

50thVert thread starter macrumors regular

pgiguere1, I was under the impression that if you daisy chained two TBolt monitors your classic MBP 15 the internal display went blank.

This is what I was going off of, from Apple's Website:

Retina MBP
    Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

Classic 15 MBP
    Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

5. 50thVert thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone tried running two TBolt monitors and their internal display off a 2012 non-retina MBP 15?

6. intermedial macrumors newbie

Yes. It is specifically designed to do this. It has been like this since 2011 when the thunderbolt display was first introduced.

Edit: the built-in display can be on or off. Doesn't matter.

7. VaBeachKevin macrumors newbie

Does that mean with the laptop's lid closed (display off), it will run 3 Thunderbolt displays?

8. d0vr macrumors 6502a

In a similar vein, can the RMBP run three external monitors using two separate TB->HDMI adapters and the built in HDMI out (with the internal monitor on or off)?

9. jcpb macrumors 6502a

It's a hardware limitation. There isn't yet a mobile equivalent of AMD's Eyefinity (up to 6 monitors).

10. VaBeachKevin macrumors newbie

Well look what I found:

Thunderbolt-capable Macs that can support up to two connected Apple Thunderbolt Displays.
    • MacBook Air (Mid 2012)

Also:

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) can support an HDMI-compatible device on its HDMI port while also using two Thunderbolt displays.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5219?viewlocale=en_US#dispnum

I think that was the the final thing I needed to convince me to get a new Air.

11. 50thVert thread starter macrumors regular

Nothing peeves me more than artificial software limitations.

The 3rd gen Core i7 procs and HD4000 graphics can drive 3 displays according to Intel's website. The 650M can definitely handle the load as displayed in the rMBP. The Thunderbolt controllers can handle two simultaneous displays across all MacBook variants. But if you connect two thunderbolt displays to the 15" non-retina, the attached 15" display goes dark. The rMBP will continue to drive both external monitors AND it's attached display.

What a crock. :mad:

12. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I think it's madness to buy a £900 display off Apple anyway, but I guess that's another matter.

Does seem pointless having two tb ports for sure.