Why can't the Verizon iPhone 5 do simultaneous voice and data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Davewithak, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Davewithak macrumors regular

I'm not putting the iPhone 5 down or anything, but a recent ad for the Droid RAZR MAXX HD made me question this. If the RAZR can do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon's 4G network, why can't the iPhone 5? Especially considering it can on AT&T's network. Personally, I don't see much of a need for the feature, but it just made me wonder. Is it the way it's built, or just a marketing thing?

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Back in the day it was because of the CDMA technology! Nowadays not sure why! Prolly the Apple LTE chip does not allow that or verizon frequency!

3. darster Suspended

The Verzion version comes with only 2 antennas instead of 3. 1 for wifi, the other for voice/data. If you are on wifi, you can talk and use internet.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's because the Droid model has two radios for cellular. While one is on a voice call, the other continues to connect to LTE (or a second CDMA connection if LTE isn't available).

It's also a gigantic beast of a phone with a big honking battery to power both radios.

The iPhone 5 on the other hand, has a single cellular radio. If Verizon supported voice over LTE, this wouldn't be a problem, but right now no us carrier does this. So for AT&T, the iPhone 5 drops to HSPA for a call (wch allows voice and data) and for Verizon, it switches to CDMA (which doesn't).

5. mrobit macrumors regular

I hate that making calls and using data is such a 'big feature' that AT&T pushes (or pushed) in their ads. How many times can you realistically say that you'd use that?

6. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

It's actually a very useful feature. One of the many reasons that I always chose gsm carriers over CDMA. It's one of those features that you don't miss I you've never had it.

There are many times when I'm on the phone with someone and need to look up prices, information or something that requires a data connection.

7. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I could not live without simultaneous voice and data. Luckily, I also live in an area where AT&T's coverage is better than Verizon's.

8. PLin macrumors 6502

You can't even receive iMessages while on a call if you're on Verizon and have no WiFi. I believe texting should still work though.

9. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

metro pcs has volte

10. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

For me countless times. Also, others I know on AT&T and those that can do it on Verizon on other devices do it all the time. When you have the ability to do this , you realize how much of a great feature this is. When you don't have it, well, we get opinions like yours.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I've used it while tethering, but since AT&T came out with their shared data plans I just pay the extra $10/mo for my iPad now so I don't personally find it to be a huge feature any more. If you're on an individual plan and tether, though, it's pretty handy.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Exactly. Apple has yet to build a true VeriPhone. The 4S didn't have LTE, which was the tech at the time on Verizon, and now they refuse to do the standard dual-radio design like everyone else.

I've used it maybe a couple of times, and none were particularly critical. That being said, if I was on Verizon, just because it is available, I wouldn't buy a phone without it. It also would be more useful on Verizon, as they have full speed LTE, whereas AT&T has heavily throttled HSPA+ while on a call.

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Every single day.

I lasted 1.5 weeks on Verizon because of that.

Every single day

Several times a day.

In a given day I could be on a phone call with someone needing info that's in my dropbox. Or needing me to send them an email so we can discuss it (or send a document).
    It's my work phone.

14. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

It's a priceless ability and I'm glad I'm on AT&T. People tend to not want our care for a feature they don't have that's not available to them. It's just human nature to justify something you don't can't have.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Actually, it was the feature I wished i had the most when I got the original iPhone, which was edge-only. I use data and voice constantly. I'm lucky AT&T coverage is excellent for me, as simultaneous voice-data is the #1 thing that keeps me away from Verizon. Aside from their total arrogance and ridiculously expensive "share" plans.

----------

Perhaps Verizon should adhere to global standards. Then this wouldn't be a problem, and Motorola wouldn't have to build such massive, power hungry phones.

16. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

A lot, in my case I'm not really a phone talker but people in my life can't stop calling to chit chat n I would say about 96% of the time I'm browsing the web or watching videos on utube while on a call.

17. mrobit macrumors regular

Well, ****. Nevermind then. I can't see myself using it, then :p for those of you that actually have a use for it, I take back my earlier comment.

18. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Ever called verizon and been on hold?

It's nice to be able to surf the web during that time. Or answer emails, or check my bank balance...

19. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

eh I'm not in a business field so it doesn't really mean jack **** to me. I'm usually at home though so I always have wifi.

20. abhinav7333 macrumors member

To save space and battery life, apple decided not include this feature

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Verizon has three main kinds of service - 1xRTT (no data on voice), 3G EVDO (data only), and LTE (data only).

AT&T has Edge (no data on voice), 3G HSPA+ (data on voice), and LTE (data only).

So you see that LTE can't handle calls, so the phone drops to next kind of service that will take calls. That explains why, for example, AT&T can do it.

In the future, they may implement VoLTE (voice on LTE).

22. KPOM macrumors G5

It's the way it's built. Apple included only a single chip to handle voice and data, and they included only one antenna for the outgoing frequencies. Since CDMA itself can't handle simultaneous voice and data, what other phones do is have a separate chip handle the LTE data while CDMA handles the call. The chip in the iPhone can handle only one or the other. With AT&T it is different since GSM can handle simultaneous voice and data. Note, though, that even with AT&T, if you are on a call, data goes through 3G and not LTE.

AnandTech had a good article explaining this last month.

23. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. It seems like my voice calls are mostly to assist someone so I'm looking up stuff on the Internet for them (or me). ;)

24. cynics macrumors G3

I hate that Verizon's iPhones cant do this. I use it so often that when I'm at work I carry keep an LTE tablet near me as a hotspot so I can do voice and data at the same time.

25. ElZeus macrumors regular

The worst part is that even when Verizon does launch VoLTE there is a chance that the Verizon iPhone 5 will not support it if Apple doesn't push an update to enable it.