Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
UK
Sorry for the dull question but I have always wondered.

Same question for iLife and iWork.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Because the iTunes Store and the Apple Online Store are not responsible for that.

That's what SOFTWARE UPDATE is for (you don't even need to run iTunes*) and support.apple.com/downloads.

* one step less to update your Mac, just go to the :apple:, then go to Software Update.
With iTunes you might need another two or four clicks.

Btw, why should one use iTunes and the Apple Store for updating one's system or applications?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Cost of bandwidth and storage. Security of these images. Nobody here likely knows.

spinnerlys,

Software Update does not offer OS X upgrades and neither does support.apple.com.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Cost of bandwidth and storage. Security of these images. Nobody here likely knows.

spinnerlys,

Software Update does not offer OS upgrades.

Ah, I seem to have misunderstood the original question, as OS X upgrades are the point releases for me, as I always do a clean install with a new OS (since Panther anyway), thus I thought the OP meant 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 as Mac OS X updates.

Maybe Apple does want to make it easy for the customer, and making a DL-DVD out of a huge Mac OS X 10.7 download is more work than the average user and consumer is able to do in Apple's eyes.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Ah, I seem to have misunderstood the original question, as OS X upgrades are the point releases for me, as I always do a clean install with a new OS (since Panther anyway), thus I thought the OP meant 10.6.3 to 10.6.4 as Mac OS X updates.

Maybe Apple does want to make it easy for the customer, and making a DL-DVD out of a huge Mac OS X 10.7 download is more work than the average user and consumer is able to do in Apple's eyes.

Hmm, well I didn't think about that either. :) I was thinking 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, etc. Either way, I think it's answered.

MrCatMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
UK
Thanks for the reply. I was talking about major releases like tiger, leopard etc. I was just thinking about why I had to wait to get a physical disc not just a download. I just think it is a waste of time, packaging etc.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Thanks for the reply. I was talking about major releases like tiger, leopard etc. I was just thinking about why I had to wait to get a physical disc not just a download. I just think it is a waste of time, packaging etc.

You already need a disc already and Apple really doesn't want to strain their servers by having people download multi-gigabyte (Even larger than HD movies!) discs images which have to be on disc anyway.

The bandwidth is just too much.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I highly doubt the reason is a bandwidth issue. But there certainly is a lot lacking in terms of an easy process for someone to install an OS update over the network at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.