Why did Apple choose to not display the capacity on the back of the iPhone 4?

helloimD4NNY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I've been trying to figure this out but no luck. You know how there was XX GB on the back of the 2G, 3G, and 3GS? Why did Apple remove that on the iPhone 4?

MicroApple

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
I've been trying to figure this out but no luck. You know how there was XX GB on the back of the 2G, 3G, and 3GS? Why did Apple remove that on the iPhone 4?
Random Decision to stop displaying it, maybe people didn't like how it stated to other people which version you bought. :confused: Or maybe their planning to let you upgrade your phone with more space. (JK)

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
The more interchangeable parts Apple can use, the cheaper the production costs.

Cheaper production costs = lower iPhone 4 price point = more sales = more profits for shareholders.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
It's actually more odd that the Apple remote has no Apple logo on it at all. When was the last time Apple releases a piece of hardware without their logo on it?

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I always wondered if Jobs makes these decisions himself and the reason behind it. I mean what could be the reason behind putting no logo on the remote?

Stein357

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Rip City
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

j.dstasio said:

Cheaper production costs = lower iPhone 4 price point = more sales = more profits for shareholders.
That's a great idea until you remember that the model numbers on the back are different.

helloimD4NNY

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's a great idea until you remember that the model numbers on the back are different.
I thought that too, they're the same. Me and my friend both have everything on the back exactly the same.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
A few reasons beyond production costs.
To stop people from buying 32gb backs to16gb iPhones and scamming people.
To make it easier to buy replacement backs when yours inevitably breaks.

iAmYou

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Iam sure the reason is to make one part for all.

They will eventualy be swapping out backs and probably able to swap batteries and such at the store level. The same way we saw screen swapping on the 3GS.

Vesian

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008

This argument would be valid if the price point was actually lower.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I suppose the real question is why does it matter? Apple made a design change that doesn't affect how you use the phone.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
To make it easier to buy replacement backs when yours inevitably breaks.

This is what I have been thinking because it doesn't make sense for Apple to also make the back so easy to remove (only two screws and it pops right off) as well as the battery also just pops right out. I think they unofficially answered peoples long time complain about having easily removable battery for those power users who need it. Also incase the back breaks, makes it easier for a repair shop or a DIY from parts from eBay.

my second theory is that when it comes to the iPhone, unlike Macs, Apple doesn't want people to be so concerned with Specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.