Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
i thought Blush Gold was a popular color and they made it for the 8, so why not the X?

And why did they do away with the 128gb config. Is it just so all those people have to go to 256gb and they get more profits? That doesn’t seem like an Apple thing to do, specially when they don’t need the money. Is it just the first ever Trillion dolor compnay feat!?

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
The color thing was probably for ease of production. They were already facing production issues and having a third or fourth color would likely just increase the issue. Next year I bet we see more colors.

The storage thing likely has something to do with production as well but they absolutely should have started us at 128gb on a $1,000 phone. It was slimy to force people to decide between 64 or 256.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Did they have it for the stainless steel AppleWatches? No. The faux gold colors are for less premium, cheapo aluminum devices.

Apple watches aren’t there bread and butter that makes up there business.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
They’ve also reduced the storage tiers too.

I suspect that over the last few years the number of sku’s in iPhone has grown considerably and this is their chance to simplify it a little.

The watch is the real sku minefield...

Reactions: ziggo

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Did they have it for the stainless steel AppleWatches? No. The faux gold colors are for less premium, cheapo aluminum devices.

The 8+ size phones aren’t much cheaper then these and they have blush gold.

Reactions: Caliber26

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
I expect the 2018-2020 successors will get more color options as time goes by and it becomes easier to manufacture the iPhone X design template.

When the 4 was released, they only had 2 color options. By the 5s, they had 3 and SE offered 4. When 6 was released, it only had 3. By the 7, it had 6 color options (Product Red included).

Apple adds more color options as years go by. Just another reason to keep buying the same-looking product but in a different color.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
The color thing was probably for ease of production. They were already facing production issues and having a third or fourth color would likely just increase the issue. Next year I bet we see more colors.

The storage thing likely has something to do with production as well but they absolutely should have started us at 128gb on a $1,000 phone. It was slimy to force people to decide between 64 or 256.

That would be nice if they had more colors next year with the X+..

Ya it was a very slimy thing to do, how dare they..
[doublepost=1509547767][/doublepost]
I expect the 2018-2020 successors will get more color options as time goes by and it becomes easier to manufacture the iPhone X design template.

When the 4 was released, they only had 2 color options. By the 5s, they had 3 and SE offered 4. When 6 was released, it only had 3. By the 7, it had 6 color options (Product Red included).

Apple adds more color options as years go by. Just another reason to keep buying the same-looking product.

That makes sense, but by doing this for the last 10 years how do you not have production down pat no matter what tech you make up... They start 2 years earlier!

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
With the average user, they are using a case and that gives them the option to add some color. Also the popularity of skins are rising, which is the closest thing to a color change.

Those who like to use the phone without either are forced to pick two right now. Personally I'd like to see a new bold color like a blue or something. The gold, rose gold to me is ugly but to each their own.

Bagaholic

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2014
Maybe iPhone 8 band is Aluminium so they've mastered the coloring but for stainless steel it'd be different and can push back production? They said specifically that the stainless steel band on the Space Gray model had to be engineered to match the color of the glass.

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
I actually thought they were harkening back to the original iphone and its color scheme. just a hint of nostalgia for the 10th anniversary

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
i thought Blush Gold was a popular color and they made it for the 8, so why not the X?

And why did they do away with the 128gb config. Is it just so all those people have to go to 256gb and they get more profits? That doesn’t seem like an Apple thing to do, specially when they don’t need the money. Is it just the first ever Trillion dolor compnay feat!?

Apple does need the money. To take care of it's stockholders.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Apple does need the money. To take care of it's stockholders.

Lol greedy bastards
[doublepost=1509550154][/doublepost]Well then, the question is did they start out with more colors on initial production and decide to ditch the rest so they could make sure they have product for Holliday shopping season.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Nintendo does the same thing. Sony does the same thing. Limited color options early until a few years later. All companies do it.

Remember all those funky colors for the Nintendo 64? Nintendo was probably inspired by the iMac. Or how about the PS Vita being available in several colors by the time the slim models were released?

ps_vita_1473772644994.jpeg

If companies give the consumers everything they want early on and make it so perfect, they won't return. They need something to hold back for the next iteration. Adding different color options is for the consumers to double down on essentially the same product.

Remember how many different color options the first gen iPod nanos had? Two. By the 4th gen, it looked like this...

ipod-nano-4th-gen.png

Reactions: noteple

Renho

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Nintendo does the same thing. Sony does the same thing. Limited color options early until a few years later. All companies do it.

Remember all those funky colors for the Nintendo 64? Nintendo was probably inspired by the iMac. Or how about the PS Vita being available in several colors by the time the slim models were released?

ps_vita_1473772644994.jpeg

If companies give the consumers everything they want early on and make it so perfect, they won't return. They need something to hold back for the next iteration. Adding different color options is for the consumers to double down on essentially the same product.

Remember how many different color options the first gen iPod nanos had? Two. By the 4th gen, it looked like this...

ipod-nano-4th-gen.png

Ya it makes since. But this isn’t 2007, production has come along way or at least should have. How can't production technology get better with technology..lol

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I won't be surprised if they announce a gold version around Chinese New Year.

If anything, it could be a possibility where we see the 'Blush Gold' that was heavily rumored back in July and August. So that color could surface or some other color for a limited time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.