Why did Apple leave Siri out of the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sphinx99, Apr 17, 2012.

1. sphinx99 macrumors member

I'm trying to think of one good reason why, but I can't.

Did they just imagine that people wouldn't want it?

Or did they consciously decide that tablet users should be prevented from having it?

Or was there some deep-rooted unknown technical reason why?

2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

The fact that it needs a data stream in order to work is most likely why. If all iPads had built in 3G/4G radios that wouldn't be a problem, but I think it would be confusing for someone to be on their wifi iPad away from a network and wonder why Siri isn't working.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Probably because they're having enough trouble keeping the service reliable for all of the iPhone 4S users. I still hear people talking about getting an error message when trying to use Siri on a 4S, I'm guessing because of overloaded servers.

Once they have all the server load issues worked out where it's extremely reliable for iPhone users (when they have a connection at least) then I think it will expand to the iPad.

4. sphinx99 thread starter macrumors member

That's a good point, although given the disaster that is AT&T 3G, it's not like you can always depend on data with the phone either. :)

Still, I can see that reasoning, although it's upsetting.

5. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I think it's for both reasons - Siri needing data access and it not being reliable enough on the 4s.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

there are a lot of ipad feature decisions which Apple has made which make me ask why. leaving Siri out of the ipad3 ain't one of them.

Siri requires connectivity to the internet. unlike iphones which are sold w/a data plan, not all ipad owners have that same level of connection availability. also, it's much easier and natural to hold a phone close to your mouth to speak when using Siri. not the same experience when doing it with the ipad.

7. batotman macrumors 6502

Only works about half the time anyways. And yeah, most likely due to people freaking out about it when not connected.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think it's a little bit of everything -- in addition to the two reasons already mentioned (connectivity and stability), they may have thought that Siri experience is not as convenient on tablets as on phones. On the iPhone, using Siri is an one handed move -- you just grab the phone and hold the home button. The iPad you need two hands to do this. I agree that eventually, with more third-party app integration, Siri will be as useful on the iPad as on the iPhone, but right now, for most things I use Siri on the iPhone -- well, the two things I do the most is set timer/alarm, and check weather, which iPad can't do because there's no native clock or weather app (which is another "what is Apple thinking" topic!) -- so as of the moment, there may be some validity to the thought that Siri just isn't as useful on the iPad. I do think it'll come to the iPad eventually, though.

9. seadragon Contributor

Dictation feature only works with a data connection too so....?

10. ipedro, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Siri is in beta. iPhone 4s users are the beta testers. It really is that simple.

I imagine that Apple is working to get it out of beta for iOS6. At that point, devices technically capable like the new iPad and probably the iPad 2 will get Siri.

[​IMG]

11. scottw324 macrumors 6502

Then in that case they should be wondering why they cannot surf the Internet when they are away from a wifi network with their wifi only device.

Or wonder why I can't stream netflix when I do not have a wifi connection. Or download music, movies, tv shows, apps from the stock iTunes and App Store apps.

It isn't a reach to know that if u don't have Internet access you can't use Siri.

12. Frosticus macrumors 6502a

Frosticus

This.

13. bruinsrme, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

yes because it would take an army of MIT PHD's to master a pop up windows when Siri. :rolleyes:

Would something like this really cause that much confusion in the ipad user world?

[​IMG]

14. aoaaron macrumors 6502

Given apples history of holding back software enhancements for previous models, I find this a highly optimistic viewpoint.

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Maybe simple product differentiation. Apple wants you to buy both an iPad and an iPhone.