Why did apple not make bumpers for the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bamafever09, Oct 2, 2012.

1. bamafever09 macrumors regular

bamafever09

Just curious what you guys think.I always liked them and was disappointed to learn they arent making them anymore.

2. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Apple itself may not make them but they are out there from 3rd parties. I'm looking to pick one up myself :)

3. alnova1 macrumors member

alnova1

I got a black one on Amazon for $4 and it fits great. Its made by poetic.

4. bamafever09 thread starter macrumors regular

bamafever09

Im doing the same. I just found a nice one for $2.99 from China. Hopefully it wont take weeks to get here lol.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think it's because they were just Apple's solution to the whole iPhone 4 antenna problems. They seem to think that the coating on the iPhone 5 serves the same purpose.

I am kind of surprised they didn't keep selling them as many people liked to use them as sort of pseudo-case. But I guess it's not a business Apple wants to be in and is happy to cede that market to 3rd party companies.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I had the same thought. I was going to go caseless but decided to get a bumper. I wonder if Apple is trying to separate the iPhone 5 from the antenna issue of the iPhone 4.

7. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

There's probably just not enough profit in the bumper game for them. I know when the 4 came out they lost money giving them away like crazy. I know I got a couple from apple for free. Maybe the sales for the 4 bumper just weren't that hot.......

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

It cost apple maybe $1 to make bumper and they were trying to sell them for $29.

Too many high quality Chinese knockoffs selling on eBay/amazon to keep selling them.

9. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Exactly.

10. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

This.

11. bamafever09 thread starter macrumors regular

bamafever09

That is along the lines of what I was thinking. I personally hate cases, but opted of a bumper because I felt anyway it didnt take away from the phone much. I imagine it didnt cost but a few cents to make so their profit margin was probably out of this world on them, but like you said I guess they just didnt want to fool with them anymore.

12. Vctr macrumors regular

I think they stopped selling the bumpers merely because of public perception. If you sell the bumper, people will get the impression that the phone is fragile and therefore requires a bumper.

Also, as someone else mentioned, I think a lot of people still associate the bumper with the antenna issue problem with the iPhone 4. Apple probably wants to disassociate themselves with that issue as much as they can.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apple's actual solution was the redesigned antenna of the 4S. I do agree that people like the bumper design and apple should have released them as well.

14. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Who knows...maybe they will !

I have one from e bay on its way.