Why did apple not make bumpers for the iPhone 5?

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Just curious what you guys think.I always liked them and was disappointed to learn they arent making them anymore.
Apple itself may not make them but they are out there from 3rd parties. I'm looking to pick one up myself :)

Comment

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think it's because they were just Apple's solution to the whole iPhone 4 antenna problems. They seem to think that the coating on the iPhone 5 serves the same purpose.

I am kind of surprised they didn't keep selling them as many people liked to use them as sort of pseudo-case. But I guess it's not a business Apple wants to be in and is happy to cede that market to 3rd party companies.

Comment

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I had the same thought. I was going to go caseless but decided to get a bumper. I wonder if Apple is trying to separate the iPhone 5 from the antenna issue of the iPhone 4.

Comment

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
There's probably just not enough profit in the bumper game for them. I know when the 4 came out they lost money giving them away like crazy. I know I got a couple from apple for free. Maybe the sales for the 4 bumper just weren't that hot.......

Comment

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
There's probably just not enough profit in the bumper game for them. I know when the 4 came out they lost money giving them away like crazy. I know I got a couple from apple for free. Maybe the sales for the 4 bumper just weren't that hot.......
It cost apple maybe $1 to make bumper and they were trying to sell them for $29.

Too many high quality Chinese knockoffs selling on eBay/amazon to keep selling them.

Comment

MrGimper

macrumors 603
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I think it's because they were just Apple's solution to the whole iPhone 4 antenna problems. They seem to think that the coating on the iPhone 5 serves the same purpose.

I am kind of surprised they didn't keep selling them as many people liked to use them as sort of pseudo-case. But I guess it's not a business Apple wants to be in and is happy to cede that market to 3rd party companies.
This.

Comment

bamafever09

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Hoover/Tuscaloosa Alabama

That is along the lines of what I was thinking. I personally hate cases, but opted of a bumper because I felt anyway it didnt take away from the phone much. I imagine it didnt cost but a few cents to make so their profit margin was probably out of this world on them, but like you said I guess they just didnt want to fool with them anymore.

Comment

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
I think they stopped selling the bumpers merely because of public perception. If you sell the bumper, people will get the impression that the phone is fragile and therefore requires a bumper.

Also, as someone else mentioned, I think a lot of people still associate the bumper with the antenna issue problem with the iPhone 4. Apple probably wants to disassociate themselves with that issue as much as they can.

Comment

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Apple's actual solution was the redesigned antenna of the 4S. I do agree that people like the bumper design and apple should have released them as well.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.