Why did Apple "scale up" the bezels on the 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karlwig, Sep 10, 2014.

1. karlwig macrumors 6502

2. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

i agree. why not just make the screen bigger and same bezel. phone would be smaller overall.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I agree. I've always maintained that they need to get rid of the excess space above and below the screen and yes, it's still excessive relative to the home button.

Perhaps they'll fix that for the iPhone 7 to make the 5.5" model more manageable and drive the sale.

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

5. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

I've been wondering that myself. Hopefully the bezels get shaved down with the iPhone 7, but I'm not holding my breath...

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Probably has to do with the width they were shooting for for the phone.

The iPhone is no longer the most intricately designed smartphone IMO. iOS brings me back as a daily driver still, especially with all the improvements over the last two to three years. Apple still know what they are doing with software, even if they are a bit slow to pull the trigger on features.

7. karlwig thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably. You'd think they would sacrifice some of that battery life to at least make it on par with the 6 though. I mean, they already sacrifised it plenty by making it so thin, but those huge bezels... Ugh.

In the end the 6 isn't much better. I just learned that it's taller than last generation Samsung Galaxy S4. And the S4 has a 5 inch display!

----------

That would be awesome. Thing is, 5.5" phones are not that big if made right. The LG G3 is a good example of that.

8. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

The design is dated. Samsung manage to retain a physical home button and still minimise the bezels. Either the home button has to go, or they change the size/shape of it. It looks like Samsung got the shape right the first time...

9. Kurso macrumors 6502

The finger print sensor is here to stay and I believe the 'touch to scan' rather than the 'swipe to scan' is more elegant, meaning the home button won't change in size significantly.

It's here to stay I would guess.

10. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Is the 5.5 6+ taller then the 5.7 Note 4??

XIII

11. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I think you're seeing things.....need to look at them in person. Pictures on other sites (including Apple.com) don't appear to show much if any difference in the size of the bezels....

It's really amazing the huge deal people are making over 5mm in height (while ignoring the few mm shaved off the width and thickness).....

12. bmms8 macrumors 68020

13. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

This way then can scale the bezel back down for the 6S.

14. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Yes, approximately 4.5 mm taller.

It's also about 1 mm skinnier (width) and over 1 mm thinner.

15. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Maybe for higher stiffness requirements and shock modeling? The 6+ is larger and heavier than the 6; I would expect the mechanical requirements would also scale up slightly.

16. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

Way too much gravitas is given to Touch ID. It's a feature for goodness sake, not something to design the whole phone around. There's also nothing 'elegant' about a massive phone with big, dated bezels. This feature could be incorporated elsewhere on the phone and if it has to be off the button then so be it.