Why did I buy the Polaroid 42" WalMart Special?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kgarchar, Nov 23, 2007.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

It sucks.

Dead pixel already and it turns on only when it wants to.

SWEET!

2. kgarchar thread starter macrumors 6502

If anyone wants to help. The tv turns on randomly. When it doesn't turn on. The red light turns blue, the screen flashes, then it goes dark, but it stays blue. :mad:

3. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

had a similar problem with a syntax-brillian olevia (remote only worked sometimes, would mute by itself, and randomly turn off)
    I would check online and see if there is a firmware upgrade that you can download
    but be forewarned you probably need windows to install it if it is available

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Now you know why it was a Wal*Mart special! ;) *in benders laugh* Hahahahahaha.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The joy of standing in line at the Wal-Mart service counter.

Such a holiday treat, I'm glad I did it during the offseason to swap a floor jack.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

haha that's what you get for being a consumer whore and going out to try to save a few bucks with 200 million other people.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

8. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I was almost ready to get this TV, trying to balance the bad reviews I've read and the oh-so-good deal. Decided against it, instead buying the Panasonic 42" at Bestbuy and hoping I'll win that 47" Samsung 1080p $719 Amazon Customers Vote game.

Good luck. If it doesn't work, just have it replaced at walmart when they come back in.

9. kgarchar thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm almost glad it happened now, I'm going to go pick up a better tv. NO MORE WALMART SHOPPING FOR ME!

10. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Damnit, someone beat me to it.

11. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

The only question you should ask yourself is "why am I shopping at Wal-Mart at all?"

:)

12. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

yeah its like they sell stuff from a dump

13. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I was very curious why families had this 2 of these things in their shopping carts and were running out like it was the next tickle me elmo... They had the 32 inch on display on that same day, and the image quality was worse than the SD TVs they had right next to it...

Word of advice, and I am not trying to offend the OP, but just give advice to future buyers. Do it online or wait for open boxed items.

I picked up a 42" westinghouse 1080p at Best Buy for $1050; original price $1799. It was one of the floor models, so I got the warranty since LCD/Plasmas have a shelf life of around 5 years. I figured it being shelf model had a good couple hundred hours already used on it.

EDIT: My friend bought a Samsung 56" (maybe 52") 1080p TV about 8 months ago online, and now stores like best buy and circuit city are selling them for the same price.

EDIT 2: I purchased that Westinghouse last year December.

14. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

You get what you pay for and Wal-Mart is indeed well known for selling off brand crap at low prices to suck people in. I have worked at Wal-Mart for over a year and have seen plenty of advertised special items at the service desk waiting to be refunded or exchanged.

If you go to Wal-Marr they may just refund your money if you kept your receipt. If you have any problems call 1-800-wal-mart and demand to talk to someone who will take care of you. The company will take cars of you only after you give them he'll.

15. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Wow, this is good to know. One of my coworkers went to get what I think is this very model, Polaroid 42" for $799. He got up early on Friday and went to two Wal-Marts and was bitterly disapointed that they were all sold out. He gave up. I guess he saved $799.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Polaroid never has and never will make TV's. What you paid for was the name not the brand. It is the same with RCA, the name lives on but the company is long gone.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Two pieces of advice. Firstly, when you first turn on the TV, wait a minute and give the display some time. To speed up the process, I hear shaking it helps.

18. kgarchar thread starter macrumors 6502

I did the same exact thing. Took the TV back, went to walmart and got an open box Westinghouse 42" LCD 1080p.

19. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Nice. How do you like it? Did you get HD stuff for it yet? I just recently got HD cable for it (wish I could get direct tv) and it is amazing... Oh and playing HD halo is just as awesome!

Oh and I hook up my MBP (which works as a up-converting DVD player FYI) and usually edit with that as a second monitor.

20. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

21. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Well to be fair some cheap LCD TV's are ok. I have a 42" Vizio and it works like a champ. Polaroid TV's are some of the poorest rated there are. Westinghouse also seems to be an ok budget brand from what I have read.