Why Did I Pay $9,599...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkennethtong

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Still questioning why I maxed out every specification on my impending Mac Pro (coming Tuesday). With tax it totalled nearly $11,000 for me. I do not do anything productive on my machine bar Facebook etc.

Why did I do this?!

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Still questioning why I maxed out every specification on my impending Mac Pro (coming Tuesday). With tax it totalled nearly $11,000 for me. I do not do anything productive on my machine bar Facebook etc.

Why did I do this?!
You wanted a snappier Safari?

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Because you use money like you use toilet paper to wipe your behind? ;)

Nah, congratulations that you are well put off and can afford purchases like that.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013

Why did I do this?!
Just return it once it turns up bro. No harm other than a bit of dicking around.

Use your 10k to pay off your home loan, or a deposit to buy a home, etc.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

Why did I do this?!
A fool and his money is soon parted?

I mean I'm happy for you. I wish I had the cash to drop on a fully loaded Mac Pro and a 84" 4K television, but it seems to me that you are doing the opposite of most of those I know with serious cash: Using the proper tools for the job at hand...

It's amazon how many of my friends with serious cash don't actually blow their money on extravagance.

Either way, I'm Jealous you got to spend 10K on a Mac Pro! I'm still trying to convince myself that I don't need a $3K base model. Maybe I'll replace my wife's 2011 Macbook Pro.....

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
To impress your friends, mate! :cool:
Not sure that's a very good reason; personally I think anyone buying a maxxed new Mac Pro without a good justification for doing so is an idiot.

I mean, I wouldn't even consider an 8-core or 12-core upgrade unless I actually needed the extra CPU power for something; in my case I would only really be able to use that to speed up video transcoding, but even if I had the money just lying around I wouldn't buy the higher end CPUs for just that reason, as the 6-core should be plenty fast as it is, and I could probably upgrade for a lot less in future if I really needed to (potentially) halve the time transcoding takes, but I only spend a small portion of my time doing this, so it's not really worth a large investment speeding it up.

Since the SSD tops out at 1tb I'm not sure I'd consider more than 512gb unless I could definitely do more useful work with the 1tb one; as for a Fusion Drive top tier 512gb should be more than adequate.

The only upgrade I'd consider really are the D700's, as the price is fairly reasonable, and even when utilised singly they're better than D500's are. While they're another part that could potentially be upgraded in future, the cost isn't so high that you really need to, while the CPU costs are much harder to justify.

But yeah, if you're buying a maxxed out new Mac Pro with no reasoning to justify it then you shouldn't be allowed money.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*

Why did I do this?!
More money than sense?

Though I'm dead jealous - but if I had spare cash to splash I would have got the 8 core instead!

motegi

macrumors regular
May 14, 2009
sydney.au

Why did I do this?!
Because now is as good a time as any to learn to edit video :)

chfilm

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2012
Germany
You can never have too much computer. You can only have to much computing power AT THE TIME.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008

Why did I do this?!
To make Facebook snappier?

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London

Why did I do this?!
Because you are rich? You have seem to have bought a few 4K TV's too recently so you have money to burn!

If you just wanted a 4k player, should have just got the base model.

But you will still have loads go 4K 60htz issues... not many compatible tv / displays yet.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
Let us know how well your Facebook runs with this fast, expensive monster.
If successful, I will do the same to enhance my experience reading TMZ.com with a 4K monitor.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.