Why did Jesus have to die on the cross?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Merkava_4, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Before you accuse me of being an Atheist troll, please let me assure you that I have no such intensions.
    Every year around Christmas time I start asking myself the very same question that's in the thread title.
    Yes, I know Jesus died because he had huge nails driven through his wrists and feet and as a result probably
    lost a large amount of blood which ultimately contributed to his fatality, but WHY was he on the cross in the
    first place and WHO put him there? All you Christians are probably shocked by such a simple and absurd question,
    but I would genuinely like to know the answer to the question that I've been walking around with all my life. :eek:

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

It was one of many cruel ways to torture and kill a person back then. It was an especially humiliating and painful one so I'm sure that was precisely why they chose it for the alleged "son of god". Jesus was far from the only person to go that way.

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That's one of the ways they killed people back then. In fact, at that time wearing a cross around your neck would be today's equivalent of having an electric chair hanging from your neck.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Religious types like to assign everything as part of a Grand Plan. The religious hierarchy of the time saw the Rabbi Yeshua as a John the Baptist style troublemaker, so they convinced the Romans to nail him up as the Romans did with all their other criminals and troublemakers. The special significance assigned to it by Christians who followed makes it sound as if it were a unique event that had to happen, and that the death provided them with some great absolution.

It didn't of course. It was just local authorities preventing the core of an uprising before it took hold. After 2,000 years or so of retelling one side of the story a lot of people still believe the mythical version of events, but you have to remember that it is only validated by the same people who thought he was something special in the first place.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

He was the Julian Assange of his day, exposing the secrets and lies of the hierarchy, though with a little more philosophy thrown in. Naturally they had him silenced. Crucifixion was a standard Roman punishment.

6. ComputersaysNo, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

On a sidenote: The nails where driven thrue his palms in order to force him to 'receive forgiveness' or show gratitude. When you show your hands with the palm visible, you're basically saying: 'you see, nothing to hide, i am honest'. The very same reason is used by magicians to show that they really can make stuff dissapear.

In your subcontinous you still do the same (making a reference with jesus, after all those years, religious or not) when you see people nowadays using their hands like that, to receive trust or to show gratitude:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the cross-reference is clearly visible:
    [​IMG]

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Actually, dehydration was likely the cause of death. The location of nails during crucifixion misses major arteries. If nails were driven in tight to this cross, pressure would have prevented significant blood loss.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Perhaps the OP means what kind of all-powerful father requires his son to die in order to save the people he supposedly made?

Personally, I think it was so they could sell books. If you know what I mean.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Probably why Jesus is against the death penalty. Except that if he didn't become a martyr, there'd be no Christianity.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There certainly might have been a lot less FUD if he'd been around to edit.

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

If he had died of dysentery, Christians could wear tiny colons on their necks.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If they weren't quite committed one way or the other, they could wear semi-colons.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Are you asking why this was God's plan? No idea, but it makes for an inspiring story as long as you don't critically ponder it's significance. Such as Jesus died to forgive man of his sins. I've never understood this. If this was God's rule, by this act why would it allow men off the hook for their sins? And how long do you think this no-sin status lasted? A couple of seconds if that. ;)

I've read an article that implied there was doubt that Jesus died upon a cross. It kind of turns into whoever you want to believe. ;)

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

:)

I would choose to wear an ascending colon, just in case. ;)

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They could all get together and form a colonial government.

16. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Not really; you don't give Christians much credit here. I, for one, know that the Romans executed tons of "healers" around that time. It wasn't Jesus' death by crucifixion that is heralded as a "unique event that had to happen." It's rather the Resurrection that is the unique event.

They didn't do a very good job, did they? Odd that they were successful in every other case but this one.

I don't want to start a debate over the veracity of Christianity, but your dismissive post ignores a whole lot and deserved being called out.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Your Roman history is somewhat lacking, I fear. :)

18. bobr1952, Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

You should watch the HBO series Tudors--being nailed to a cross would seem almost pleasant compared to some of the methods used during that period of time.

Then as it is today, it can be dangerous to have opinions contrary to popular belief.

(Thanks for the spell check, arkitect)

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

[​IMG]

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't know of any other religions they failed to squash, but I'd be glad to know more if you would be so kind as to help me out here. I know that you are quite knowledgeable in Roman history.

21. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

God is perfect. Man is sinful. The two can't interact. Jesus is God in the flesh, God in a human body. He lived a perfect life (sinless). He died under the wrath of God as a substitution for sinners. He faced the wrath of God in death that we should face because we don't meet the standard to have fellowship with God. In turn, his perfect life is credited to a believers account, if you will, so that that person can have fellowship with God through Christ. A believer is someone who recognizes their sin before the Holy, true God and repents of it. He also trusts in the Christ's death as the payment for his sin. So, Jesus died to pay the sin debt we owe to God so that we could have a relationship with God.

22. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

The OP's question is why, he didn't ask whether or not you believed the reason. Nor did he ask for sarcasm. If you don't believe, that's your business. OP just wants to know.

The reason is this:
    According to the Bible, the punishment for sin is death. Adam sinned bringing the penalty upon all of us. The price has to be paid. So, Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for the sins of humanity. If you accept that sacrifice, His righteousness becomes yours.

As I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. The above is the reason. And I am sorry that those who profess to know God do not act in a way that lines up with what they (we, me) profess. The actions of a follower does not invalidate the truthfullness of their leader.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There were quite a few non-Roman religions which flourished, like Mithraism, Sol Invictus, and of course Judaism. There were also uprisings they failed to crush, as in the Civil War, and various other events after which the winning party was declared Emperor.

24. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's nice for you. :eek:

Anyway, always look on the bright side of life...

[​IMG]

25. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well it is a bright side, I have a relationship with the God of the universe, the ultimate Being, the Creator because Jesus died on a cross like your pic. :)