Why did Steve Jobs have to return to Apple? Why didn't he make the iPhone at NeXT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retina MacBook, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Retina MacBook macrumors regular

Why was it so necessary to go back to a nearly bankrupt company? Why didn't he just Make the revolutionary products at NeXT?

Apple was a great company, with poor management. Steve Jobs could have left it alone. He could have made the iMac, the iPod, the iTunes Music Store, the iPhone and the iPad at NeXT. But why didn't he? Why do with Apple?

2. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

NeXT wasent exactly doing well either, so its not like NeXT would of been a better option.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Not sure if you remember or not, but NeXT was bleeding money as well and wasn't too far from going under.

4. Retina MacBook thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but his ideas could have lived with NeXT. He could have lifted NeXT from near bankruptcy just like what he did with Apple.

----------

And so was Apple.

5. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Having the resources of a publicly traded company is much easier to do things that you envision.

The reason Apple was doing so bad was because they had too many products in way too many different areas. NeXT just didn't have a product that people were willing to pay for.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

... And I believe his heart and mind was still hanging with his first company :apple:

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Apple was Steve's baby and it seems obvious to me that he wanted her back.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

NeXT wasn't that great of a company for several reasons; after agreeing with Apple not to sell consumer-grade machines they were left with selling $30k boxes to universities. Beyond that, it just wasn't the same company as Jobs had created with Apple. sure, Apple had lost their way, but they had more resources and ability to move into different spaces than NeXT did. And at the end of the day, Jobs couldn't leave Apple alone, could you have done so to something you built from the ground up and then was ripped away from you? Apple and Jobs were like root beer and ice cream, NeXT was just a flirtation with pie along the way.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not like Steve had all these products designed and just needed someone to build them. The talent already at Apple had a lot to do with their success.

It was over a decade later that the iPhone came out, after all. A decade where Apple clawed its way up from the bottom on a mountain of iMacs, iBooks, and iPods. It was a slow, methodical journey where they not only gained the consumer's trust, but gained experience in making portable consumer products.

Do you really think Steve could have made that climb on top of NEXTBooks and NEXTPods? At least people knew what a Mac was, even if they weren't super popular. Do you think an iMac without Apple's original fan base could have succeeded?

I'm just not seeing it.

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Millions of Mac users clinging on the to platform made the difference.

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Ironic considering his personal life...

12. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

He couldn't have made the iMac at Next, because he didn't have MacOS 9, and without MacOS 9 the iMac would have been dead from the start, he didn't have the designer of the iMac, which worked at Apple, he didn't have the connections to build a million iMacs, he didn't have the sales channel, he didn't have the right to use the name Mac and so on and so on and so on. That's about where your great idea makes a bellyflop.

13. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Despite the fact that NeXT was the superior platform, Apple had a larger customer base and better third party developer support. Sentimental value might have had something to do with it as well. Anyhow, Jobs brought NeXT to Apple. OS X and iOS are its offspring.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

both. logistics played a major role.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Haha... I know. I had thought about that when I posted earlier and figured I'd leave that one alone! ;)

16. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Apple was still HIS company. NeXT was just a temporary thing. And oh, at the time he sure as hell wasn't thinking of the iPhone. A music player, maybe, but a phone, no.

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Cute that people think Steve Jobs single handily designed, built and manufactured everything that came out of Apple since his return.

Very immature thinking, but cute.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hahaha, I actually find him pretty amazing (and being abandoned at birth can empathize with what he and Lisa went through) and while he may not have not had the greatest personality, most people that change the world don't.

19. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Very true.

20. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Of course not all designed and build by himself but glue (keep) a team together and challenge them to deliver something better is quite some work ...

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well one is NEXT lack the public appeal of Apple and NEXT would of also had to survived until 2007. The technology just was not there until then.

22. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I think many Mac 128/512/Plus etc ex users rediscovered Apple with the iMac G3. I did with a 400Mhz DV (it had a DVD player) running OS 9 that cost over $3000.

23. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

24. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Short answer, yes, they were trying to build their next OS and Jobs offered NeXT for purchase so that Apple could leverage the underlying NeXT OS (such as the kernal) to be utilized in future Mac OSs.

25. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Silly idea for him to build it at NeXT.

He should have built it at Pixar!