Why did the US put lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people in jail or prison before?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Bubble99, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

Why did the US put lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people in jail or prison before?

Before the hippie movement the US would put lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people in jail or prison. The police would raid people homes and places they thought they may be.

What was it like in the 50's and 60's and before when the US was more bigot country.

Why was it so common in the 50's and 60's and before the hippie movement to put lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people in jail or prison.

If it was not for the hippie movement and civil rights movement in the 60's and 70's would they still be putting gays, bisexuals and transgender people in jail or prison today?

Why where they so bigot before?

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Any sources for this at all? More importantly, how about you focus on the countries that are throwing gays off of roofs TODAY and killing lesbians TODAY instead of looking back 40-50 years. 50 years ago is irrelevant today.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Because we weren't sure if when visiting San Francisco we had to be sure to wear flowers in our hair.

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Nah. That's no fun.

It's more interesting for some to bitch about the ego of the United States, and simultaneously suggest the U.S. is the only country out there.

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

It isn't ?!?!?!??! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::oops:

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

We never did? Sodomy and buggery laws were common but the charges weren't easy to stick to people. Though the mere rumors would ruin a person. Juxtapose our outlook then in history to the UK or most of Europe before and after the great wars. Legality of being gay was never an issue in the US, it was the idea of being persecuted, refused service and being charged with a sodomy law which was also applied to straight people. Much of Europe began to repeal their laws against being a gay person in the late 60s through the mid 90s.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I imagine it's a religious thing. The US has a "separation of church and state" thing going on, but it's pretty funny because that isn't the case at all. Quite the opposite is true.

I mean I'm not religious but I didn't see the point of "trans" stuff at all until I spoke to a male-to-female transgender person at my college. It's late and old but the gist of it was "Growing up I thought all boys wanted to wear dresses but everyone kept it a secret". It was a simple line but the whole concept of it just fell into place. I'm pretty stubborn so I'm hopeful the hardcore Christians against non-binary gender stuff will learn to mellow the f**k out over it.

8. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

The fact is in the 1960’s gay people were rounded up in bars and loaded up in paddy wagons just for dancing with one another. Do all of you really not know this bit of history? I don't expect people to have heard about the Black Cat, but I find it hard to believe that people haven't heard of Stonewall before considering the news reports and movies that have been made about it.

But for those somehow still out of the loop, here you go:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/the_gay_bar/2011/06/the_gay_bar_4.html

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's unusual for someone to randomly launch a question like this. I find it difficult to believe that they are sincere.

10. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I guess if one is cynical. Sometimes people just have questions. This is afterall a "social issues" forum too.

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Except those people were then released with BS charges. That behavior from the police is what led to the Stonewall riots that occurred years later, if I'm not mistaken. The OP is talking about long term imprisonment, which is what other countries did before repealing their laws against being gay. Turing for example was given a choice between chemical sterilization or jail. He picked the former and that among other things drove him to end his life.

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

There are probably whole books written about the topic but I'm sure any full understanding of it would take account of the way oral and anal sex between heterosexuals was also illegal.

13. 5684697, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Meh, the question is badly set anyhow; it asks about a previous period in time utilizing exclusively today's thought and values.
    The question is : "why after centuries of standard behavior, which spanned different cultures across the globe that never got in touch one another, we suddenly changed on or about the 1960's?"

15. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

Are you sure??? I understood the internet was invented in 1910 after the Titanic sank.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Not sure, as Lincoln said don't trust the Internet

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

That's not all. Psychosurgery was attempted on a small number of homosexual patients in the 1950's and 1960's to try to 'cure' them of their homosexuality (see for instance Moan & Heath (1972) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0005-7916(72)90029-8). It was not uncommon for people to be confined to mental health institutions against their will due to their homosexuality.

Meanwhile, in the UK, only now has the Parliament passed a law pardoning thousands of gay men posthumously (source).
    [​IMG]

18. RedOrchestra Suspended

Al Gore was a Titanic survivor, I didn't know that.

19. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Al Gore is 150 years old. He always breathed crabon free air. That's why he's still around. He knew about global warming way way back.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The absolute refusal to accept that this is a legitimate question, that those types of events occurred, and to instead refer to the OP as a troll really shows you how far we've come in this country.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You would admit that the question was badly posed. Honestly yes, it felt like major trolling.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Honestly it just reads to me like someone asking a question without having a firm grasp on English, which is no reason to just assume a person was trolling.

Even then, the topic is interesting as clearly many posters here don't know the history of violence and oppression towards the LGBTQ community that was commonplace not that long ago here.

Frankly I'm disappointed in this community for being so reactionary and just mean in this thread.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I disagree, and I also attempted an explanation in post #14 of what I think the problem of his question was. Look especially at the very last line of his post, and how US-centric it was (Oscar Wilde wasn't American...).

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I assume you mean how little we have come. :(

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's hard to capture sarcasm in text. :(