Why did the US put lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgender people in jail or prison before?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Bubble99, Feb 1, 2017.

1. PracticalMac, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Because of 2 repeated lines in the bible
    Leviticus 18:22: " Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."
    Leviticus 20:13:" If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

The word "Sodomite" and "Gomorrah" is also often refereed to homosexuals, but those are actually names of cities, not an action. Going further, strictly literal, all reference is with men and implied anal sex between men, so anal sex does not apply to women. Much of the laws on sexual behavior where created centuries after the original Biblical writings.

All of this is forced the leaders of then chaotic and anarchic Biblical societies in to some strictly defined and sometimes ill conceived order.

But despite greater understanding, a much more balanced set of laws, and tolerance, sexual ignorance is still rampant.
    In 1998 a gay couple was arrested in Houston, TX, charged with centuries old Biblical based laws.

It went to SCOTUS where law was struck down, overturning a 1986 ruling.

Because so few (3~5%) of people have unique sexual orientation it is easy for them to be bullied by the normal sexual orientated people, yet history is full of great homosexual people who are known for massive contributions to humanity.

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I wonder if many posting above recognised Turing....

3. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Titanic sank because Russia hacked it while the radioman was accidentally downloading malware.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2017 ---
    Those events happened long ago. It doesn't matter today. Lets ask the Swedes about why the Vikings used to rape and pillage and murder for fun. Lets also imply that they still associate with this type of behavior today. Its crazy.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

So you acknowledge the homophobic practices and laws were wrong? if so, then good. Now consider that there are people alive today who were subjected to that kind of discrimination, and that we risk returning to those days.

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Cos otherwise it would be a rather boring TV show.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Sure. As long as we acknowledge that there are still people alive today who were attacked and mistreated by BLM protesters. That there are black people who are racist against whites. And lets also acknowledge that there are women who treat men poorly and falsely accuse them of wrong doing. Lets also acknowledge that women accuse men of shady things during divorce proceedings.

Every group of any people you can mention have done horrible things to others and have been horribly mistreated at one time or another. So what? Lets put it to bed already. "150 years ago blah blah blah". "50 years ago this and that and this".

BFD!!!!

What matters is today. Christians aren't rampaging across Palestine decapitating people. Jews aren't slaughtering Hittites by the thousands. KKK isn't marching in Alabama. Did these things happen? Yup. Are they still happening? Nope.

Lets look at what is happening today.
    Who is throwing gay people off of roofs?
    Who is gunning down gays in night clubs?
    Who is mowing down groups of random people in trucks?
    Who is throwing rape victims in prison?
    Who is slaughtering and imprisoning Christians?
    What country's are calling for the death of Jews?

These are the real serious issues and questions. Not a history lesson about 50 years ago involving people who have evolved past these issues. There is a whole group of very aggressive people who haven't evolved past the 13th century. This is what maters.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Your whole post is spot on, the only quibble I have is the use of the word "normal" in there. Because I think there is a range of sexuality much like a gradient between two colors of paint. And because I think it is quite normal for part of any population to be homosexual, part to be heterosexual and part to be bisexual. This is observed in other species besides humans as well.

The thing that hasn't been normal, has been the concept of condemnation and persecution of others due to one's particular religious beliefs. Normal for humans perhaps (unfortunately) but not normal from a bigger picture perspective.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Got to love somebody entering a thread talking about historical perspectives and then demanding the topic of discussion is changed.

I think we've got enough threads on here covering what you want to talk about. Start a new thread if you like.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Because religion was ingrained in our culture much more than it is now and in Christianity gays are bad. They rub off on people with their gaydom and we needed to stop that ****.

10. decafjava macrumors 68040

decafjava

I certainly did and what happened to him was tragic and an injustice.

11. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Are you a moderator? No? Didn't think so. I'll keep my own council on how I comment, thank you.

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

Call me a bemused observer who notices a trend of turning threads towards Islamic cultures when criticisms are too close to home.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

You're a bemused observer.

It's not "close to home at all". It's never discriminated against gays. The issue from 50 years ago pales in comparison to what's happening now.

And yes, I want people to focus on the dangers of today, because the dangers of today are the threat to our way of life, of the dangers of 50 years ago that we've already overcome.

Get it?

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

So start a new thread then, this one is a historical topic about America 50 years ago.

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

No.
    it's all a rich tapestry. It's all connected.

Also, I want my people focused on the right things so we can survive the new threats of today.

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

For what it's worth, the gay rights struggle has been going on for quite some time. The 60's they had the Stonewall club raid, at the end of the 70's and through the 80's they had to fight the stigma of AIDS and educate people that the disease didn't discriminate based on sexuality, in the 90's it was don't ask don't tell but legal discrimination was there, lately gay rights to marry have largely been settled, but it's still an ongoing struggle some times just to be recognized for more than their sexuality.

P.S. Club raids have occured much more recently than 50 years ago, in 'Murica too no less. So maybe 8ish years ago is close enough for some to focus on.

17. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Raiding a club sus
    pected of illegal activity is wrong....how?

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Read the link, it's not just there to look pretty.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I scanned it. I'm in the car right now.

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

As long as you aren't driving! :eek:

21. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Of course I'm driving. I have a 1 hour commute each way to work. I mostly use Siri to read the messages and dictate the responses vocally.

22. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

You must be pretty addicted to this place to go to that length. I listen to Radio 2 or Oasis on my commute lol.

23. iDemiurge macrumors 6502

iDemiurge

Leviticus also explicitly calls for adulterous people to be put to death, yet Jesus stopped a mob from stoning an adulterous woman to death by reminding them to mind their own sins. There is nothing in "religion" that is intrinsically hateful, there is just the desire to wilfully misinterpret words that are not convenient to our little egos. In Christian morality sensuality is seen as a negative thing because it distracts people away from the love of God and truth, not because because God is particularly offended by what people do with their body's orifices. The sensuality of a gay person would be no worse than the sensuality of a heterosexual libertine. But of course, try to understand things is bothersome and it's easier to hate religion wholesale.

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I would disagree about the sensuality. It's a blessing within marriage, but it's just frowned on outside of marriage.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

you really live up to your nickname... as a practicing imperfect Catholic I am shocked to see how many Catholics are ready to judge based on scriptures (and we don't even base our own faith on sola scriptura, and not even on literal interpretation), and even if they go to church every sunday they don't even know the very basics. How many facepalms when I hear talking about the immaculate conception or Mary Magdalene, often confused with the woman you talked about in your post.