Why did you chose the Apple Thunderbolt/cinema Display over other displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Aluminum213, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

My brother does a lot of video editing and I was thinking of getting him a display and I'm obviously a fan of apple products but was wondering why I would chose the Apple display over other like so many of you have

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you have a Mac laptop with thunderbolt, you can use the ATD (not ACD) as a thunderbolt docking station. No other monitor provides that set of features. Trying to replicate that would mean purchasing a Delkin thunderbolt dock ($399) when they are released next year.

The ACD/ATD units have very good sRGB (narrow gamut) screens. Some folks want a less glare. The new iMacs will evidently have a lower reflective screen. With luck there will be a new ATD early next year based on the new iMac screens.

3. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

That one response says it all for me. Bought my 27" ATD at the same time as my MBP because, with all other specs being equal, the additional ports and power supply features bridged the price gap with other brand name monitors. Plus, since they were purchased together, the monitor is covered under the APP.

Does your brother have a thunderbolt-equipped Mac?

5. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

This is covers it all. My desk is tidier as I don't have multiple cables everywhere. All the cables go into the back of the TBD and then two cable (power and thunderbolt) to the MBP.

6. ray648 macrumors regular

I have two thunderbolt displays plugged into my 2011 macbook pro. Got them because it is the only way to run two displays of that resolution from a macbook with a single thunderbolt bolt (which was all macbooks at the time).

7. Aluminum213 thread starter macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

he doesn't now (he has a 2008 iMac) but is looking to either get a retina pro or an iMac

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If he wants to get the current ATD with an rMBP, he can save a few bucks on refurbed ones from Apple. They are $829 and come with full warranty and would be included in any Apple Care purchased for the rMBP. If he orders an iMac, he will not need an ATD unless he needs two screens. For iMac, wait for the pricing to be released on the 27" model...hopefully before mid December.

9. NotAdvisable macrumors regular

NotAdvisable

I just bought my Thunderbolt Display yesterday, and although it's quite expensive at first I just can't believe how amazing it is. When you think of it as a screen, it's priced around the same as a normal 27" display; but we also get the added benefit of those ports at the back.

If Apple bring out a newer model with USB3.0 ports, i'll buy a second on the release day.