iPad mini Why did you get the iPad Mini Retina over the iPad Air?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by keatth, Nov 17, 2013.

1. keatth macrumors 6502

If you were stuck between the two, what are the exact reasons you chose iPad mini?

2. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I'll answer and include most everything. Size, weight, portability, cheaper, can use prior accessories and it is more comfortable to use for longer periods of time than the Air. Even despite the color gamut which 99% of owners don't really care about anyways.

3. keatth thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you expand that please. Why does the size make a difference to you?

do you ever use and and think it would be cool if i had the air using it like if your playing a certain game or in a certain app?

4. puma1552 macrumors 601

Why does it matter to you?

Not sure why this is so intriguing.

5. RickTaylor, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

For me, the form factor of the mini series is just perfect. I'm an instructor at a community college, and typically wear a jacket to look vaguely professional. :) As a result, the mini slips into a jacket pocket and goes everywhere with me. I'm able to hold it easily in one hand while doing something with the other, and in class often read problems with it and write them out on the board. It is pleasantly unobtrusive, in a way that's hard to explain; it never gets in the way. Earlier today I was standing in the corner of a crowded restaurant waiting for my takeout order, and I was able to stand there with people walking by and read on my mini without feeling at all awkward; it was like holding a small paperback. I've tried out my brother's Ipad 4 for reading, and it actually felt a bit too large; it was like an overly large book, it didn't feel as natural taking in the whole screen. I wouldn't want the mini to be any smaller either; it's just big enough I find I can comfortably read pdf documents in portrait mode (I am comfortable with small type).

Of course the Ipad Air is better for some things. Using the mini, sometimes I need to pinch and zoom to see text clearly on a web-site or view it in landscape, and I think the Air would be more enjoyable for watching movies. But there are always trade offs, and for me the portability of the mini is more important. Also, I tend to use a laptop for watching movies or other tasks that might otherwise be more suited to the Ipad air than the mini.

When the original Ipad came out, I couldn't understand the attraction of it. To me it seemed if I was going to carry it in a briefcase, I might as well take a laptop instead and get a keyboard and a full fledged OS X device. It was only when the mini came out that I saw and experienced the benefit of being able to do so many tasks on such a compact device. Of course the Ipad Air is more portable than those first Ipads, but for me the mini hits the sweet spot in balancing screen size vs portability.

6. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

I think you meant iPad Air, not Macbook Air, correct?

7. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

Very well thought out explanation of why this particular person prefers his rMini.
    His reasons are specific to HIM. He doesn't care about what he MIGHT be missing out if choosing the other. He has a set of needs, chooses a device which meets them, and then simply moves on!

8. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

Yes that's right, I made several mistakes typing that up. Fixing them now.

9. jaybar macrumors 6502

jaybar

These type of threads repeat over and over. When will they ever stop?

10. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

Pretty much never

11. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I think eventually they will start to taper down...but for now the most relevant topic on the forum members' minds is the difference between these 2 newly released devices.

Besides, there are just so many topics to discuss if you left out the ones pertaining to the 2 devices' lightness, portability, weight, screen quality, and value.

12. Technarchy, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Size and weight. The rMini is like holding a paperback book. In bed, on the couch, on the toilet, it just feels better in the hand, more portable and lighter.

Had an iPad 3 and 4 and I prefer the rMini

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

For toilet, definitely the mini. When you're ready to stand up, it's great to have one hand free to finish.

14. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

15. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

I couldn't pass up on Tmobile's free data, so I got LTE. Considering an iPad Air is quite expensive with LTE, I opted for the iPad mini. Plus the size of the mini is more suitable for LTE as a traveling gadget.

16. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Same for me. It's a paperback-sized iPad, so easy to tote and the performance specs are a big improvement from the original mini. I have an iPad 3, but it was just a bit too cumbersome to use out and about, which is important to me.

17. macbd macrumors regular

Size/portability.

If I were looking for a laptop replacement, I would have gone with the Air. The iPad Air is a pretty remarkable achievement to have that size display but be so thin and light as well.

But the rMini is still even lighter and more portable than the Air. And in another year or two it will probably be made even thinner and lighter itself.

Honestly, I'm really looking forward to the potential larger screened iPhones. I think that will be the sweet spot for me and then I will be happy with just the one device.

18. mfr1340 macrumors regular

ipads in the bathroom

I made the perfect holder for the bathroom.
    photo-2.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    photo.JPG
    don't know why it rotate's the pictures!

Attached Files:

19. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

The iPad mini is much smaller and it's nicer to use in bed and around the house. The Air is nice but I just wanted a device that I could incorporate in my existing devices, I have a 11" Air and 13" rMBP. The mini has now replaced the 11" Air but I'm not going to sell that since I still love the 11" Air for classes where more demanding tasks are needed. One handed use is also a lot easier and the specs are almost on-par with the air, so why not?

20. AppleRobert macrumors 603

21. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Bought an Air first for my wife. Then bought a retina mini for myself. I chose the mini because it fits in the pocket of my favorite jacket and we already had a full size iPad.

It's fully usable and it's really comfortable in landscape mode. Holding it in landscape feels like my old iPad in portrait mode. Reading is not a problem either. I turned on night mode and kicked the font size up 1 notch in iBooks and it looks fantastic, 100% readable.

The choice is totally opinion, you're not losing out on anything by choosing either one. The mini is 100% an iPad.

22. jim2011 macrumors member

1) I already own a macbook air. I forget which review I read but they were right on the money. The iPad Mini line is the perfect compliment to those who still want to use laptops. The full size iPad is for those that want to replace the laptop.

2) Games. It is the perfect size for gaming. I love just laying on the couch and playing games on it. Since with games you're always holding it, the lighter weight and smaller size make it much more comfortable. Playing racing games with the full size iPad 3 was a huge pain in my arm. I'm sure the air is better due to the weight difference but I fell in love with the mini form factor/weight since the moment I held it.

3) Portability. I can stick it in my jacket. Great for when I'm on a bus, train, or plane. Don't need a carry-on bag to hold it.

4) Reading. I may consider switching to the mini retina over my dedicated kindle paperwhite for reading (at least on trips). Rather than have two devices, I'll just use one.

23. WashupDawg macrumors regular

Am I the only one who likes the increase in PPI from the Retina Mini compared to Air? 326 instead of 264 PPI is not totally earthshattering, but it's definitely more clear.

I always found that my Retina iPhone screen were more crips than the Retina iPad. Or perhaps I'm just holding my iPad right up in my face...

24. modelbehaviour macrumors 6502

For me it was because I already had a 3rd gen 'big' iPad, and since I was looking for something portable I didn't feel the air offered me any great advantage over what I already had in terms of being able to fit it in my bag easier, it was just lighter. Plus I felt reading and watching videos on the big ipad felt a bit cumbersome on the train, whereas the mini felt just right. I think if I didn't have an ipad at all I'd have picked the air but by getting the mini I got the best of both worlds.