Why did you hold on into buying the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chino303, Oct 15, 2014.

1. chino303 macrumors regular

chino303

Hi there,

I've been wondering about those of you who haven't jumped into getting this new generation of iPhone's. I'm not trying to create a big fuss of why Apple vs whatever nonsense debate, just wondering out of curiosity why people have hold back into getting this new iPhone.

Also, yeah I'm a newbie here, but I've been lurking for a looooong time, I was just too lazy to post, so please treat me lightly :D

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. syclick macrumors regular

4. bri1212 macrumors 6502

What makes you think people are holding off? Apple can't keep them in stock.

5. chino303 thread starter macrumors regular

chino303

IMO not everyone will buy the phone, there is people around that skip a generation for whatever reason, and that's why I started this thread, to see the reason behind their decision.

I guess I'm too nosy into wanting to know why?:confused:

6. jaenicky macrumors member

I wanted to see the reviews and take my time deciding between iPhone 6 and 6+

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I decided against it because it's just a bigger screen and Apple did nothing to capitalize on it. And given the marginal performance upgrade, it wasn't worth buying full price for me as my 5s is still solid. Also, the design isn't that great in person - I was going to preorder but decided to hold off till I saw it in store and it didn't feel that great.

The 6s should see a bigger performance bump and hopefully more larger screen iPhones are in circulation by that point so that Apple makes better use of the bigger displays through iOS9. Hopefully the performance is good enough for me to get over the design next year.

Edit: also Apple Pay isn't coming to Canada for a while so that definitely sealed the deal.

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Own a perfectly good iPhone 5
    New phones aren't jailbreakable yet
    Still unsure about which size I want
    ...and, of course, the availability issue means there's no way I can switch right now even if I wanted to. :)

I usually skip at least one generation, which means I'm due to upgrade this year. I'll probably buy when a jailbreak becomes available which is what I did when I went from the 4 to the 5. But I'm in no rush until that point, because stock devices drive me nuts. Might be a more compelling product if they'd gone with 2GB RAM though. Count me as another who thinks there just wasn't an amazing jump in performance specs this time around.

I'd imagine there are also plenty of people on 2 year contracts that aren't switching to programs like NEXT and aren't yet eligible to upgrade. My best friend is talking about getting one with her next upgrade...which isn't until December.

9. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Waiting for the prices to drop in a few months to buy it off contract thru Ebay or Swappa . Looking for the 6+ and paying not more than $500 for the 64gb

10. markusbeutel macrumors regular

Because I work in trades, and after handling the 6/6+ in the Apple store, personally, I felt the build quality wasn't sturdy enough - even if I put a case on it. The mystery glass that may or not be gorilla glass, the bending issues (as limited as they might be), and the unibody casing that makes it super slippery all led me to go in another direction.

And I know, you could say that with a case it's not going to slip, but when you're working in an environment full of drywall dust and wood shavings, invariably, this stuff somehow manages to get underneath the case somehow. I end up having to take my case off and clean my phone every night so - and when I do, I don't want to have to deal with an exceptionally slippery phone.

It's also a little bit to big with the bezels for my liking. If you're exceptionally active at work, these brick-like phones are really noticeable and annoying in your pocket - I had the Note 3 before, and that was bad enough - the 6+ is even worse with a smaller display to boot...

11. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

We skip a generation due to any of the following:
    - stuck in an unlimited 2 year contract
    - some people prefer the S version
    - perfectly working iPhone no need to change