Why did you vote for Trump, neutral question (Trump voter only)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jul 10, 2017.

?

What is primary reason you voted for Trump?

1. Wall on Mexico border (Illegal immigration)

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Trade imbalance (China)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. "Radical Islam" (National Security)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Coal / Declining industrical sector

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. AMA/Obamacare (Healthcare in general)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Taxes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Economy

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  8. Supream Court vacancy (The seat Gorsuch eventually got)

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. "Not Hillary!!"

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Not criticizing anyone or Trump, just want to know the main reason you voted for Trump.

2 rules:
    1. Single MAIN reason, of all.
    2. Avoid the "Not Hillary" unless it was by far, absolutely the ONLY reason you chose Trump. IE: If it was between "Hillary" and "Wall", choose "Wall" please (Hatred of a candidate is common, I want to focus on issues, not a candidate.)

2. v0lume4, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017

v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

The MAIN reason is the economy. You have no economy, then you have no government, and thus you have no country. Though my vote was for "Economy," I lump the trade imbalance in with economy as well. We need manufacturing and FAIR trade again, else our GDP will eventually start to tumble. As a country, we can only be taken advantage of for so long.

I have my other reasons as well, but that's the main reason. Cheers guys!

3. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

1. Why am I being singled out? (Free country)
    2. I didn't answer the poll, nor will I.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

See post 3. Poll is flawed. You go poke people for no reason and they are bound to teach you a lesson

6. darksithpro macrumors regular

I'll be honest. For the most part it was against Hillary, but not really her specifically. It's the elite establishment that I despise. Jeb Bush IMO is the same as Hillary, controlled by the same elites and special interests, just on the other side of the same coin. Even though I'm conservative, that doesn't mean I'm Republican. I frown upon our two party system, where only a Democrat, or Republican has a chance at winning. These establishment politicians are just awful IMO. This pay to play, scratch your back, and mine sort of mentality is just sickening. I actually like a lot of ideas the Democrats have, like Net Neutrality, and legalizing cannabis for medical and recreational use. The things I don't like clearly outweigh the ones I do in comparison to Republicans, like SCOTUS justices that won't become liberal activists and create policy from the bench and take away 2a rights, I want constitutional judges. Donald may be stubborn, egotistical and arrogant with his twitter, but he doesn't hide his wealth like Democrats do, he doesn't pretend to be for the common man, while owning 3, or 4 million dollar vacation homes and a couple 100k+ cars while making less than 200k a year:rolleyes: . Those are the people I despise, not because they have those things, but because they are corrupt and deceive the voters into thinking like they're one of them and know the hardships of life. Trump openly talks about his wealth, which if fine, because he's honest and upfront about it. He's also the under-dog, not liked by the establishment, a newcomer that can't be bought by those elites and he's for USA first, not tying to be part of a world leadership. So you asked for my opinion, not looking to argue with anyone, just letting you know where I stand.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But he's no less corrupt than establishment politicians. He doesn't put USA first, the only thing he puts first is himself. He calls any press reports that are critical of him fake news. He divides the country, rather than bring the opposing sides together. He has no idea what is in the health care bill that is making its way through congress. Despite claiming to be the great negotiator, he has no idea what he is doing, and he just let Putin walk all over him. He also missed a chance to get the G20 countries to come together about North Korea.

I can understand being fed up with the establishment politicians of both parties, but picking Trump was picking someone who is more corrupt and more incompetent than them. It's hard for me to understand how so many people don't see that.

8. PracticalMac, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Poll is flawed only in your midget brain in your midget head. ;) :p

And if people can't get over Trump getting elected then we have a lot more to worry about then Trump.

I am really surprised in the results so far in this highly biased educated group of intelligent nerds in the unscientific poll. No surprise the Econonmy was top (tied with not Hillary).

I am surprised many of the most talked (most Trumped) about issues in the campaign (wall, China, terrorism, even health care) have yet to gain a single vote.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2017 ---
    It is clear as day to me why Trump was chosen, although greater incite was after the results.

"Emotion"

9. chagla, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

i follow up poll should be interesting. question like, do you regret your vote? yes | no
    hatred seems to be running high, even if it's against self interest.

10. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Well said! :)

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Irrespective of their stances on the topics, I saw Trump as the lesser of two non-optimal choices.
    For a runner up, I felt Trump had a better chance at correcting the economy than Hillary.

In hindsight, knowing what I know now, I feel I made the right choice.
    Maybe "he" is..... :eek:

12. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Actually I'm not surprised. Most of these are are on my "top items" list just not in the number one slot.
    At work we like discussing political topics. A good number of my team members are international. Getting to see their view is eye opening at times.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You don't have a problem with Trump calling the press the enemy of the people?

You don't have a problem with Trump claiming Obama wiretapped him, without any evidence?

You don't have a problem with Trump not doing anything on North Korea at the G20 meeting?

You don't have a problem with Trump claiming without any evidence that millions of illegal immigrants voted fraudulently?

You don't find it worrying that Trump chummies up with autocratic dictators like Putin, Turkey, Egypt, Philippines?

You don't have a problem with Trump tweeting about a news reporter's alleged face lift?

You don't have a problem with Trump continuing to deny Russia hacked the 2016 election, and his suggested solution was to form a cyber security task force with Russia?

You don't find it concerning that Trump seems to have no understanding of the details of the health care bill, nor does he seem interested in learning any of the details?

What about those jobs at Carrier Trump claimed to have saved, but they are disappearing anyway?

What about all those trips to his golf courses, when he criticized Obama for playing too much golf?

What about firing Comey, then admitting in a televised interview that it was because of the Russia thing? Even if you agree that Comey should have been fired, it's so stupid/incompetent to publicly admit that Russia was the reason. How can you trust Trump to get anything done when he doesn't seem to understand that he needs to watch what he says?

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. no because it's true.

2. he was wrong.

3. was he supposed to body slam them?

4. no.

5. he has businesses in other countries, did you have an issue with Hillary getting a Russian bribe for the Uranium?

6. no.

7. no.

8. it's oclueless mess so no.

9. what about them?

10 hypocrisy from his side.

11. he should have been fired day one.

15. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

One big piece you missed IMO - when. With DT we get to see everything up front before it happens and we can roll in and sling the muck to our hearts content. With HRC we would find out about it after the fact and it would be everyone's problem but her. I have seen no change in DT's behavior. I have seen no change in HRC's behavior. If anything, Hillary has become even more entrenched.

DT - we can yell / holler / sling / roll / roll eyes / etc... unlikely to start WWIII
    HRC - continuous damage control ... good chance of starting WWIII

As for DT's knowledge level - detailed knowledge - no. If he has a good staff, then all he needs is the summary. It's called delegation. The cessation of not being mired in the details. The hallmark of any good CEO or Project Manager.
    Not saying he will never need that level of detail, rather as needed, not for everything.

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

He could have ralllied the Europeans, Japan and South Korea to pressure China and Russia to place stricter sanctions on North Korea.

I'm not convinced the uranium deal was conclusively proved, but if true, yes, I would have a problem with it.

But what I find troubling about Trump is that he seems to admire autocrats and dictators, and seems like he wants to be one himself. You don't think so? Or you think it's okay for a US President to be a dictator?

You don't find it concerning that a deal he supposedly made either wasn't a real deal or it felll apart almost immediately?

I actually would have no problem if Comey had been fired on day one, but what I was asking about was not whether you think Comey should have been fired, but what you think about Trump admitting on national TV that the reason was the Russia thing.
    Okay, I understand now where you are coming from, thanks. And I almost agree, actually. :D

I think my problem with Trump is that I'm afraid he will try to undermine democratic institutions and turn the US into an autocratic regime. I realize that the US has been slowly turning into an oligarchy controlled by big campaign donors, and Hillary wouldn't slow that trend, but Trump feels like super speeding that trend.

And Trump's cabinet picks don't make me feel confident that he's good at picking good people to delegate things to. Neither does how the health care bill is being handled in Congress. Delegating details sound good in theory, but you still need some degree of understanding of the subject, or you don't know if it's being handled properly.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/...s-pressed-for-control-of-uranium-company.html

18. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

There are a lot of things I find disquieting about Trump. I'd rather know in advance of his attempts.

True. There are a number of his staff that could be much better. In a way I am glad he doesn't know all the details. Then we would have even more tweets, and he would be even further overwhelmed becoming even less effective.

One nice thing, if he really mucks it up we can replace him in 2020.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Moderator Note:

Some posts containing forum rule violations have been removed. A large number of posts that were not rule violations were removed since they were responding to the moderated posts.

20. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I understand the hatred to establishment, a lot of that going around.
    I also liked Trump for that outsider reason, but he lack of knowledge of the topics and twitter rants put me off. For example bashing TPP as an open door for China when it had nothing to do with China is another.

<...>
    Sure Trump flaunts his wealth, wants to show his success, nothing wrong with that at all.
    yet it also looks like he goes to great length to hide is losses, and likely how much he exaggerates his true income.

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, since I can't vote "anyone but Hillary," it came down to the Supreme Court.

22. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

How can you say that without laughing out loud? We definitely don't get to see "everything" "up front" before it happens. Quite the contrary. We also find things out after the fact. Sometimes he changes speeches and leaves things out that even his staff was unaware of. I think sometimes Donald Trump doesn't even know what Donald Trump will do. How is that seeing everything up front?

23. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

This thread has been changed. I guess by Mods.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Does trump tell you how he rips others off to get that wealth? Remember the college thing? He only paid about 1/3 of what he brought in that scam. What about all his other scams that he made money on? Who says he cares about anyone but himself? He owes what over 340 million to a Russia owned bank?