Why didn’t Apple get rid of numbering and call the X iPhone Pro?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rogifan, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I still don’t get the 8 vs 10 (X) naming strategy. Especially when on the inside the 8 shares most of the same tech as the X. Had they dumped the numbers and gone with iPhone > iPhone Plus > iPhone Pro it would have neatly fit into good > better > best marketing and wouldn’t have made the 8 seem like an inferior device. And it wouldn’t have made people question why the 8 exists. Eventually the OLED screen would filter down to the iPhone and iPhone Plus and the Pro would get something else that was bleeding edge. To me this marketing is just plain confusing. What happens next year? Do we get an iPhone 9 that is faster than this years X? How confusing would that be? Does the X become XI? Or is it X forever now?

2. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

3. protoxx, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

What logic lurks in the heart of Apple, the Cook knows.

X aka 10 for 10th anniversary ?

8 moniker is an aberration, why not 7s that would be in line with release naming since 3g/3gs, 4/4s

Will X be a moniker for all oled screen iphones? Next Xs or X1 or X.1, X2, Xs2.......?

Leaving 8s,8,9s for the next few generations of non oled screen iphones?

oled screens will be in short supply, likely for years as new plants and production can ramp up and processes with higher yields are developed. Limiting them to highest end phones.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Apple will do and why, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

4. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

I have no idea what Apple did here also. I’m sure they are now scratching their head for the naming strategy of their next year’s devices.

5. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Because after the Xs it will be called the Apple Phone

6. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

Maybe not “Apple Phone” but I guess you’re right. They must have a brand new naming scheme next year if not it’s gonna be a hot mess

7. Stang69 macrumors member

Pretty simple. X is roman numeral for 10th anniversary as others have stated. People over analyze sometimes. Lol

8. MaciMac100, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

Just when we got rid of X in Macs to a better, simpler MacOS... they bring it to iPhones!

iPhone > iPhone Plus > iPhone Pro
    That sounds good and not confusing to customers.

However, iPhone X is still better name than "The new Ipad" in 2012. :confused:

9. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

I think the TS knows that. But he’s just wondering why Apple still went ahead with this naming strategy when they know full well they are, firstly, making the 8 seem inferior because they are seemingly 2 generations apart and, secondly, creating a problem for themselves for next year’s iPhones.

10. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Because naming a smartphone ‘Pro’ is among the most idiotic things their marketing team could ever possibly do.

11. 358547, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  12. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Lmao. You cannot call an iPhone ‘Apple Phone’. Think about it.

No really. Seriously. Think about it.

iPhone is what it will be for it’s entire existence in this universe. Why? Simple: branding. Iphone the name is worth billions of dollars. Changing it would be categorically horrible for sales.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    I knew it hahaha. I knew people would still think that Apple would one day call an iPhone ‘Pro’ even after this year. So crazy

13. AppleZombie macrumors 6502a

Yeah youre right..

14. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Ask their marketing people. I'm sure they went with what they thought people would best respond to.

15. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

There may be an “iPad for pros” but I don’t see why there should be an “iPhone for pros”. What kind of “pro work” would you do on an iPhone?

16. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

I don’t ever want to hear anyone say it will be called ‘pro’ ever again. People have been saying it will be called that since before the iPhone 6 came out. It’s never going to happen.

17. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Rule #1: Apple won't drop the numbering scheme.

The numbering scheme reminds consumers there is an annual cadence of iPhones. The annual release cycle represents two-thirds of Apple's revenue. An iPhone 8 is superseded by iPhone X. And the X will be superseded by 11.

An iPhone Pro may sound great for some people, but it's terrible from a marketing perspective. To sell new phones, Apple needs to age the old phones.

Do you have an iPhone Pro (2017) or iPhone Pro (2018)? It works in the iPad and Mac because the technology in those products doesn't refresh quickly enough to warrant an annual release cycle. In that case, Apple doesn't want to emphasize to consumers the age of the product.

18. oplix Suspended

oplix

because the iphone X's features are more suited to be called iPhone Kid's Emoji Edition and has absolutely nothing to differentiate itself as a "professional" product compared to the regular iphone

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

But a 10th anniversary phone makes no sense. iPhone X isn’t a special edition.
    Ok don’t call it Pro then. But still get rid of the numbering scheme.
    Then call it something other than Pro. But get rid of the numbers.
    This is the only logical argument for a numbering scheme. But Apple’s going to go from iPhone X (roman numeral) to iPhone 11? And then iPhone 8 to iPhone 9 which will have better technology than the iPhone X (which Apple is referring to as iPhone 10)? And theres nothing confusing about that?

20. frou macrumors 6502

frou

Is the 10th anniversary thing really that interesting to anyone? Seems like 99% of consumers will consider it a mildly interesting factoid and nothing more.

21. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

22. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Certainly it was important to Apple. They created a new phone to honor it.

23. frou macrumors 6502

frou

So if 2017-2007 didn't happen to equal a nice round number they would have given up trying to compete on the high end with Samsung?

24. Mohamad-pro macrumors member

Mohamad-pro

If we count by year Apple is correct, X is 10, next year will be 11, no more 8s, 9 and 9s.

25. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

That's definitely a possibility. Apple has always been very slow and methodical when introducing new tech into their products.