Why didn’t Apple just do a bezel-less plus size screen??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by UKapple73, Nov 5, 2017.

1. UKapple73 macrumors regular

i was put off getting an X due to the narrowness of the new aspect ratio of screen, which means videos etc will look smaller than on the plus size 5.5” screens
    Which begs the question, why didn’t they simply make a plus size 5.5” screen with the reduced bezels? The ratio is now very odd and all apps need updating etc.....
    I know the latest Android have this ratio but I don’t really understand why it’s popular

2. awaken470 macrumors newbie

because then they wouldn't know what to sell in 2018. GOTTEM BOIZ

3. haqsha23 macrumors 6502a

haqsha23

This. If they offered it this year, i wouldn't have upgraded for 2-3 years. Now, i got the iPhone X, and in September i will certainly get the X+.

4. shooter03 macrumors regular

shooter03

Cause what would they release next year as the big ticket item if the 8,8+ and x, x+ came out this year?

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I think consolidation. Many seem to think the X is a good compromise size. Apple can begin to prune its expansive bloat of hap hazard screen sizes. They seem to have lost their way and focus. Perhaps they are planning to streamline.

6. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I think/hope there will be one next year. I did some landscape usage and it pretty much confirms it. There is no way that apple is going to let that landscape quick message reply stand as the primary. It is borderline unusable.

7. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Apple be like we did the impossible, a bigger iPhone X,[​IMG]

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Samsung's influence with the S8/S8+/Note 8 I suspect...
    Taller for a bigger overall screen, narrower for ease of one handed use.

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Could be availability of screens. If Apple engineered the screen, which is the story, it may have been too much too soon to come out with 2 different sizes. Also, perfect the new device and the software before introducing another model. Just spitballing.

10. exodiusprime macrumors regular

exodiusprime

The iPhone 9 will be the last “regular iPhone” before future iPhones adopt the X look. I think by 2019, we’ll have some 6.4” model (maybe with a notch) before Apple “gets it right” with a phone that has a good aspect ratio along with a 4K display and maybe removal of the notch. For now, this is the price we pay for having the latest they have to offer ;)

11. wood7715 macrumors newbie

The screen on the X is already bigger than the 6/7/8 Plus. Hard to imagine Apple would go for a X+

12. linkgx1 macrumors 68000

Because they want you to spend even more next year. Basically, what Apple is doing is letting their fans justify everything now and then realize the flaws at September 2018s press conference.

13. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

It’s not if you want to watch 16:9 content which is most of YouTube and a lot of TV series. In that scenario, the + wins hands down.

14. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

LOL, the notch isn't going anywhere and the likelihood of them putting a 4K display on an iPhone X+ is slim to none.

15. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

No it's not. Screen area is still larger on the Plus models. The X may be taller, but the Plus is wider.

16. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Thank god then that video content is a tiny fraction of what a phone can be used for eh? Added to the fact that why would anybody want to watch a significant amount of video on such a small screen anyway? I see people on trains/planes or whatever hunched over their relatively tiny plus phones, and I just kick back with a nice iPad Pro. On the odd occasion I might want to catch something on YouTube when truly on the go, the X is hardly a significant compromise. Still, people will use anything to justify their choice.

17. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

True, but most movies are 21:9. So for Netflix, the X is a better screen size for viewing 21:9 movies. Same with iTunes.

18. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

I love the X screen size. It is like the Galaxy Note 8 which I loved.

19. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

I would expect a plus version at some point, but as it stands the X offers video playback at the same size as the plus models (in standard view not zoomed). I’m happy with going down to the X from an 8 Plus. Because the X has dual cameras now they would probably have to offer more of an incentive than just a bigger screen to get me to buy the X Plus.

20. UKapple73 thread starter macrumors regular

It’s not just video that’s the issue though, it’s web pages etc and books that appear much narrower than on the plus. And that’s not even taking landscape mode into account.......

21. Marshall73 macrumors 68000

Marshall73

This is what I thought I would be annoyed by but it’s not bothered me once when using the X over the past 2 days.

22. UKapple73 thread starter macrumors regular

The X doesn’t offer same 16:9 video size though, it’s over 20% smaller on the X. Basically same size video and width for content as the non plus phones

23. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I guess I don't know how people who bought this phone didn't know this ahead of time. All they needed to do before buying is check out the Samsung S8, which has the exact same screen size. If you don't like the size of the S8, you wont like the X size.

24. Faelan macrumors regular

Faelan

I much prefer my iPad Pro for that as well even though its 4:3 screen format is even worse for movies. But that format also happens to be fantastic for letter/A4 sized PDF which I have a metric crapton of. My point is, it all depends on the content you like to consume. Unfortunately, the iPad Pro is a bit hard to squeeze into my pocket. I can just barely squeeze my Mini 4 into the pocket of my jacket. I do that when going on longer trips with public transportation though.

25. LiemTa macrumors 6502

It’s almost like Apple employs well-paid analysts to figure out how to maximize their profit.