Why didn't Apple do this? (Pics inside)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphone5preorder, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

I truly feel offering a selection of colors on the 5S would have driven sales through the roof. Especially if they did it so beautifully as they do the silver, champagne, or even black like they did on the 5.

I'm not sure I will find an answer to this on here but looking to hear your thoughts. Would you guys have preferred a selection like this? These colors look amazing.. I would almost want to buy two just because!

(Phone won't let me add two attachments so posting second pic in second post)

Thanks for the discussion!

Attached Files:

2. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Second pic

Attached Files:

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Same reason why (maybe) electronics like the wiis only come out at first in one or two colors and then later on "special" colors....So people who can afford to, might buy another one later on to get a better looking device.

4. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

Love what I see those images. I personally feel the iPhone 5C would look a lot nicer if they had the look of the iPod Touch 5th generation.

5. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Daaaaaaamn, I'm liking the looks of the ones in the first pic. Well, the hot pink/red, orange, yellow, and green ones. Had they offered those this time around, this would have been an extremely difficult decision for me.

6. darster Suspended

The reason why Apple won't is cost and uncertainty. What if they made 3 million of the orange metal and only sold 100,000? It cost more to produce the colored iphone 5s models vs the plastic iphone 5c model, thus they can take a few more risks with the 5c. However, I do think the 5c colors are a test run for the 6. Apple will be able to determine which of the the 5c colors are most popular and perhaps introduce those colors in the more expensive 6 model. We just might have to wait another year.

7. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I had a nightmare about Apple releasing 5s's like that last week.

8. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good point. But, they never make more than what they can sell initially. In the long run, sure, but they could easily have their forecasters figure out the numbers. That's what forecasters are for.

9. bdrake47 macrumors regular

This.

If they had done colors on the 5S, I would have been torn too. But they can recover production on 5C without much overhead, but machined, anodized aluminum just isn't ever going to be cost effective if they made too many.

10. jamesapp macrumors 6502a

Those phones look delish hahhaha fruity hahaha

11. swish2351 macrumors 6502

12. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

I thought Apple would have done colours a few years ago? and yes the pics look good my opinion is Apple will suck it and see if the new 5c is a hit then i think they will roll out more colours in the future

13. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I like the pink and the purple and it may have made the colour choice much harder than the current 5S choice is. Who knows if they may bring out another colour in the middle of the 5S cycle, as they did with the pink iPod nano (I think) 3rd gen. I've got a feeling though that they wouldn't look as premium as the current colour choices.

14. Harvey Specter macrumors regular

Most likely the reason that their Mac computers and Macbook Pros haven't really changed color scheme. It would massively lose its look as an all premium device, which is why it makes sense they would incorporate that in their cheaper lineup of devices.

If you have a strong desire to personalize your anodizing I'd recommend checking out these guys to add that finishing touch you're after :)

15. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

They didn't do that because people like me would be pissed that they don't make a black one.

16. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good answer. I think you hit it on the nose. But I don't care, I want my colors!! Wahhhh

17. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Thats exactly what the iPhone 6 will look like!

18. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I can't agree with this. Look at cars and trucks....

19. iz2sick macrumors 6502

iz2sick

Someone was right on the money. There's no denying that Apple designs the iPhone with premium parts. As much as haters love to bash Apple, you rarely hear them bash the actual design itself (other than screen size). This doesn't come cheap for Apple in terms of production. Putting out too many colors is risky. This is the same reason why only their cheaper iPods come in many colors.

Now, I think it would be cool if they started allowing custom orders like that Moto X phone. People who want a special color can order it and eat the wait time and upcharge.

But let's face it... most of us here are going to cover up our phones. Many of you are going to spend hundreds to do so. You want a different color? Just skin it up.

20. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

What I said earlier defeats his point. " they never make more than what they can sell initially. In the long run, sure, but they could easily have their forecasters figure out the numbers. That's what forecasters are for."

----------

I've never put a case on any of my iPhones. Thats why I'm so interested in the colors hence why I made the thread. But you are right, the majority case it anyways.

----------

Wow! I'm doing this !

Edit: 250 bucks?! Never mind :)

21. billycuth macrumors 6502a

The 5c clearly isn't that cheap of a device to make if it's $500 off contract... And yet it comes in colors... Not seeing your logic.

22. Omen87 macrumors regular

Omen87

Haha, yeah it's a little steep. But if you REALLY need a different color, it is possible.

23. Iphone5preorder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I like the option and the colors look sweet! I might do it one day. Thanks for the link

24. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike