Why didn't Apple just make the Black iPhone 5 two-tone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orange42, Sep 26, 2012.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

note - This isn't a complaint. My black iPhone 5 doesn't have any scuffs or scratches out of the box, and if it gets some from normal usage than so be it, that's bound to happen when using something often.

Why didn't they just leave the sides and the back silver like the white one and not coat it? They did that with the 4 and 4S and it would match their MacBooks. Even the original iPhone had a two-tone back. I feel like they had to expect people to get mad at this scuffing.

I don't know about you, but I'd still think it was good looking and still would have purchased a black one. After all, it's what's on the inside that counts.

(if this was brought up, sorry, I didn't see it)

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

The silver is going to scratch too, it's just not going to be quite as noticeable. Phones are going to scratch, that's just a fact of life. Some are going to scratch easier than others. I've heard some varying stories of the durability of the iPhone finish. A lot of what I'm hearing is making be start to think some of the first batch didn't get their anodizing applied correctly.

Anyways, the reason they didn't is the look.

3. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I wondered the same thing. Why aren't they like the white ones where thy have white lines instead of black like the 4s. I wonder why they didn't mad the white one white all over as the black is

4. alexander25 macrumors regular

because black looks better. i always wanted an all black iPhone, finally my wishes came true :D

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

To give it a different look. Making it silver would make both colors (black and white) too similar to the 4/4S counterparts.

The black and slate is nice for a change.

6. Ahonen macrumors 6502

Ahonen

I really wish they had. Black and silver would have looked really slick. As it is, in my personal opinion the white phone is the better looking one now.

7. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree the all black looks better but doing silver could have fit right in with the computers and possibly saved a bunch of headaches. But who knows I'm sure people are gonna find things to complain about either way.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I agree with this. But at the same time, I love my iPhone in white.

9. xak macrumors regular

Someone should photoshop the non-anodized aluminum onto the black iPhone 5 so we can see how it would look. If it looks like the first iPhone, that'd be nice.

10. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

yes the white iPhone will scratch but white paint will not scratch away to reveal another color like the Black version...because there is no white paint covering the aluminum

11. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Too bad you got a black and dark gray one instead.

12. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I also wonder why they went with aluminum for the band instead of steel. Is the band not an antenna anymore?

13. tired macrumors member

I know the black goes at the bottom on the orignal one but these were the best photos I could find.
    [​IMG]

14. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have no problem with the way that looks. I'd sort of prefer that over all black actually. Both are nice.

15. reputationZed macrumors 65816

techically black and slate

----------

to cut down on weight. the band an back are all one piece (uni-body)

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There was actually a leaked photo of the black strips at the top and bottom with non-anodized aluminum; however, it has the white iPhone 5 front panel. Could've been a prototype.

[​IMG]

17. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

I really don't like the look of the silver with black...it contrasts too much, and I was hoping Apple would make a darker aluminum for the black one and they did. But you're right, it would match the MacBook Pros if it were silver like on the white one...I realized that later. But hopefully Apple will make their future MacBooks and iPads in black/slate and white/silver to match the iPhone.

In the end, everything scratches. My silver aluminum MacBook Pro is scratched in some places. You just notice it more with black and darker colors. It's given. But the black is so sleek looking, I hope they continue to make and perfect it on their future products.

18. retinarob macrumors regular

I love it. It's a throwback to the original iPhone, and would sit next to my rMBP looking fresh.

19. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Am i the only one that thinks up close the "slate" looks almost gun metal blue?:confused:

20. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I could see that a little bit.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Several people have remarked that so you're not alone.

22. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I also found interesting that the GSIII came in white and blue. ;)