Why didn't Apple update their battery case to have a 3.5mm headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by thadoggfather, Sep 9, 2016.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Even though it would be a cash cow, would solve the proble for a bunch. Shoehorned into better battery To restore loss of the port which is a deal breaker

2. iregret macrumors 6502

It would be easy enough to do. Do you think we'll see third part cases that have the headphone jack built in? No adapter that way.

FWIW, I don't care. I use bluetooth headphones.

3. firewire9000 macrumors regular

Poor jet black all covered with this ugly thing.

4. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Because they are trying to move away from it?

5. mtcowdog macrumors regular

I have many complaints about Apple in 2016, but in terms of the competition they still win my dollars. I say that to give context.

Of course Apple is consistent, at least with iPhone peripherals. Headphone port dies. It dies with Apple everywhere. Apple may do better and dumber things, but generally they deserve credit for sticking to their changes. If the new Macs have that port, I will be surprised, but not shocked. They are usually consistent across devices.

6. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Sounds like a good idea to me. Decent compromise.

7. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Well the whole point is that they want people to stop using it. They could have easily put one in the phone itself, but chose to remove it. They're not going to start putting it in accessories.

8. greg99 macrumors member

It's the same reason the accessory manufacturers haven't come out with an adapter that has a lightning port for charging and a headphone plug, just two lightning ports. It would have been equally easy to have both.

As others have said, Apple doesn't want it to be easy to stay with a wired headphone.

9. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

#courage

10. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

SO that's why they include wired headphones in the box?

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I think you meant cash grab. Yeah but one that would make people happy. They should have offered 1st time 7 buyers $50 Airpods. Would have made this less a pain in the ass. Not the apple way though. ☹️
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    They should have included a 2nd charging solution then. Smart connector or 2nd lightning would have worked. SC being the more elegant solution.