Why didn't Jobs have an iPhone 3g on stage with him?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by levitynyc, Jun 11, 2008.

1. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Seriously, why didn't he have one on stage with him.....very odd. Can anyone think of a reason for him not to have one on stage? He could show off the 3g network speed as well as the size of it.

Theres no way they don't have a final version of it available yet no?

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I do think something is suspicious about that.

3. majinoo macrumors member

Maybee the production didnt start yet , there's still one month left .
    I find it weird too .

4. sfroom macrumors regular

A few blogs (engadget being one of them) have had hands on time with the new iPhone. It exists. I don't know why Steve didn't have one on stage though.

5. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

I think the pictures were just the prototype. The real one will have many more hardware features.

Just my opinion.

P-79

6. Baron58 macrumors 6502

No need to. It was a developers keynote, and the focus was on development happenings, which did have a live, on-stage presence. He communicated and demonstrated everything he needed to with his slideshow presentation*, and did so much more effectively than if he tried to use a real phone. Having one as part of the on-stage show would have added nothing and likely distracted from what he was presenting. That's why.

*he showed off the 3G speed in a more theatrical fashion in the presentation anyway, so your point is moot.

7. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats right, I did see that engadget played with one. Why wouldnt jobs have it? I thought the demos on the screen looked odd. Perhaps cell reception in the building sucked and Jobs didnt want the 3G phone to be slow?

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Who says he didn't. Maybe he prefers the old case and had them cram the 3G phone into it? He is the boss.

9. isimon1207 macrumors member

great point. I'm sure Apple, like any company, gets a kick out of displaying half of the phone's features, and letting their stock crumble, just to announce that the product really does have everything you need, after millions of people decide to get a blackberry instead.

10. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

notice that the demos for the speed test for EDGE vs 3G used www.nationalgeographic.com (a site that uses flash). so either the iphone 3G will have flash support or it was fake.

11. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

it says on the apple website that

Testing conducted by Apple in May and June 2008 using preproduction 3G/EDGE-capable iPhone units and software and currently shipping EDGE-capable iPhone units and software. Testing was conducted by browsing to http://www.lonelyplanet.com and measured uncached page load performance. All settings were default except: Call Forwarding was turned on; the Wi-Fi feature Ask to Join Networks and Auto-Brightness were turned off. Wi-Fi was enabled but not associated with a network. Throughput depends on the mobile network, location, signal strength, 3G/EDGE connectivity, feature configuration, usage, the Internet and many other factors. Throughput tests are conducted using specific iPhone units; actual results may vary.
    Battery claims are dependent on network configuration and many other factors; actual results may vary.

Did the presentation use a different website?

edit: Just watched the keynote again, the demo was national geographic sorry.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

I can load the page on my iPhone. They probably just cut out the "download flash player" part.

13. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

I think they did use an iPhone 3G to demonstrate the apps, but was in a case. Compare the iPhone being demoed to the original iPhone image on the left to the iPhone 3Gs from the Apple site. You can see that the iPhone demo is wider than the original just like the official images. I think you can also see the tapered back on the demo.

Attached Files:

14. uhhitsjames macrumors member

That's a good point. I wonder what the deal is with that.

15. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

ok so what i dont get then is steve jobs could have picked any site to use for the test but he chose one that has flash...and had to doctor the footage to hide the lack of flash support.

16. Clipse79 macrumors regular

Honestly...Who cares? Is this supposed to be something to worry about? Everyone knows what the thing looks like and what is does. I`m sure there is no conspiracy going on here , so lets all just settle down, and countdown the days until July 11th...

I`m more concerned why he wore Old Spice vs Degree deoderant....

17. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Reasons:

1. He isn't as proud of this one as the original... which was his baby.

2. Everyone knows what an iphone is now, so the new one doesn't need as much of an introduction.

3. He has cancer and his doctors told him to stay away from that crazy thing with 3G cell, bluetooth, and wifi transmitters.

18. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Did anyone even bother opening up the site with their iphones?

The iphone version doesn't feature any of the flash features as on a computer. Did you guys even see the keynote?
    When you open up using the iphone you get exactly what is shown at the keynote. A site sans flash

19. meagain macrumors 68030

Unless the features in your device aren't fully ready/completed yet or you don't want to alert the competition a month before a product is sold. Like the fcc statement thing says. People didn't know the first iPhone would have glass or Youtube.

Decreative guy - urapos. jerk

20. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

Really, I thought you were smarter than this.

1) The only cosmetic different is the back, and since white only comes with the 16gb he would most likely show the black, which looks horrible after being touched(smudges, scratches, etc.)
    2) What new features are there to show off? 3G...could still be getting optimized for the iPhone3G. GPS..."cool, I didn't know where I was." ie boring
    3) This conference was for developers. They weren't necessarily looking for hardware.

21. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Lmao @ the people who think not all the features of the iPhone 3G were shown. There is nothing else to be shown, what we saw is what we are going to get. No video recording, copy/paste, MMS, voice activation, this is it. When the first iPhone was announced, only 3 things changed in 6 months.

1) Use of glqass for the screen
    2) cingular becoming AT&T
    3)youtube app

Apple might add 1 app to the home screen, nothing more. Although I wish they would surprise us, but don't get your hopes up.

22. levitynyc thread starter macrumors 65816

23. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

Omg Maybe He Will Surprise Us W/ A 6g Iphone W/ Remote Start For The Car?!?!??

24. meagain macrumors 68030

25. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

maybe they dont have a completely working version yet?:apple::apple::apple: