Why do cops make up "laws?"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by todd2000, Aug 28, 2009.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

This has been getting on my nerves. I got my car inspected a few weeks ago, and it failed. The shop stuck a rejection sticker on the car, and told me I had 15 days to fix it and get it re-inspected. So everything is fine, until a few days later. Im driving down the road, and there are 2 cops standing on the side. They flagged me down to pull over, and asked me about the sticker. I told them it just failed and I haven't had a chance to fix it yet. They then told me "You know you can only drive to and from the shop to get it fixed with a rejection sticker?" This sounded strange to me, but I just played dumb and said I didn't know. They let me go, but said if I get pulled over again Im going to get a ticket.

So anyway I went home and immediately looked it up online. This is a direct link from the VA State Police web site. Section F. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-60

So Now Im just mad that they pulled me over for breaking a "law" that doesn't exist. So I printed out that page, stuck it in the glove box and kept driving.

So Im at work today and a Sheriff Officer comes through my line, and I said can I ask you something? I told him what happened and he agreed with the cops that pulled me over that I could only drive to the shop. He said "I've been doing this for 38 years and thats how it's always been."

Do they even bother to train these people as to what the laws ACTUALLY are? I mean the last time that section of the code was updated was March of 08, so even if they added section F then it has been a law for over a year. Sorry for the rant, but this just got on my nerves and I type a lot when I post late.

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Don't get me started on the state of today's police forces..

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

mistakes happen. do you have every aspect of the place you work memorized? I doubt all cops have every law and all it's rules memorized.

4. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, but this was 3 different cops, one of which has been doing it for 38 years. I don't expect them to memorize every little law, but they should know the laws for something as common as an inspection sticker.

5. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

this just may have been info that was passed around. reminds me of me when I got a ticket for running a stop sign on my bicycle. H ad not ridden for years and I started again and everyone was running stop signs. I was told by at least two friends/drivers that said bikes only had to treat stop signs as yield signs. well they were wrong but there was a bill that did not quite make it all the way through. so mis information is easy to pass along and it becomes law till proven different.

6. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

they damn well better if they are going to restrict people's freedoms and rights in the name of that law. This isn't the case of the Apple store employee not knowing what a toslink cable is and if an Airport Express can use one. One can't arrest someone for breaking a law then say, "Oops, MY bad!, I didn't know!"

7. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

If you got your car inspected a few weeks ago, how are you still driving on a 15day reject sticker????:confused:

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Many bike riders in the UK cycle through stop signs and red traffic lights without stopping - even though its illegal.

9. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's fixed now. :) They pulled me over a few days after It got rejected.

10. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

I've had my share of cops making up laws. Once, a cop told me that they can't arrest a person who breaks into my home if they used to live in it. So under this made-up law, I'd be able to break into all previous homes I've lived in and get away with it. :rolleyes:

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well lets face some simple facts. Those reject stickers normally go on older cars and many people who get them do not bother fixing it and just keep driving with it on there car. Cops pull them over and check it.

I was pulled over years ago when a cop though my inspection sticker had expired. He looked at my sticker and saw that it was going to expire that month and just reminded me that I needed to take care of it in the next week and that was the end of it.

He did apologized for pulling me over and told me to have a nice day. Did not even ask for DL or anything else.

12. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Fine I have no problem with them checking the sticker, it's them telling me that I can't drive it with the sticker cause it's against the "law" when it isn't that I have a problem with.

13. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Last I recalled, there weren't a surplus of Rhodes scholars applying for jobs in the local law enforcement.

True, I've met about seven decent cops in my life. The rest are a combination of infuriating and depressing. These are the people are society entrusts with guns, authority, and judgment in regards to public safety and wellbeing. In the state I live in, my own right to use a firearm to protect myself or my family in my home is severely restricted, while in the very same law books it releases from liability any officer who does not protect my safety in an armed conflict. So, I have no right to take care of myself, but it is perfectly legal for the police to do nothing to come to a person's aid?

I don't understand it. Just swallow it and live with it, it isn't going to change.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are you saying you can see a cop enforcing a law he isn't even aware of?:rolleyes:

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

There relying on commonsense met with power trip. As a layman it makes sense that a rejection sticker would prevent a car from using state highways. But, the person has to make a living to pay for the part or labor to pass, so it has evolved into 'only to and from work.'

I commend you on educating yourself otherwise.

16. stevegmu macrumors regular

17. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Become a cop, serve the community and prevent the injustices.

18. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

So your familiar with Danville huh? :) Im originally from NJ, and I want to go back.

19. stevegmu macrumors regular

Been through there and ticketed several times.

20. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I cannot stand Virginia's inspection policy it is (in my experience) an excuse for mechanics to lie to you and force you to get bogus repairs, or refuse you a pass.

I believe my family and I have gotten at most 2-3 good honest inspections

21. stevegmu macrumors regular

I went to a shady gas station inspection station once, because my mechanic was booked up and I kept putting off getting an inspection, and the guy tried to tell me I needed all new calipers. 2 days later, my mechanic said I may need new front pads in a couple months.

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I can beat that :)

My father and I were trying to sell one of our cars but it needed inspection so we took it to be inspected.

A few days latter we went back and he told us the parking break didnt work, so we asked him to show us. We tried to turn the wheels, told him they wouldnt turn to which he replied "oh the parking break is on" :eek:.

Then the "mechanic" proceeded to tell us that it was the breaks which werent working (we had just personally replaced the the pads and caliper assemblies). So we told him to show us. I started trying to turn the wheel and couldnt and then the man began lifting his foot off the break (My dad was watching). So we called him on it, the guy got pissed off and failed the car....:mad:

The problem with an inspection process is that IMHO many mechanics are borderline crooks and giving them jurisdiction over the road worthiness of a car is just ludicrous.

23. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I prefer NJ where you can bring it to a state inspection station at the DMV. They don't really have an incentive to reject you unless something is actually wrong.

In this case the car did need front brakes, and I knew it before I got it inspected, but it was over due, and I figured a rejection sticker was better then an expired sticker.

24. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

As a VA resident, I can certainly sympathize. The automotive laws in this state are asinine.

Like doing 20+ over the speed limit = "reckless driving" with mandatory court appearance. Attorney for a reckless driving ticket runs $750 - $1000 plus figure another $500 or so in fines and court costs. They post 55 mph speed limits on major interstates, just because they know they'll catch loads of folks doing 75. Total cash grab.

And don't get me started on the annual "personal property tax" you have to pay on your cars. And the mandatory $28 county tax sticker you have to buy each year, even if your tax liability is $0. So you have to pay $28 for a sticker to prove that you've met your $0 tax liability for the year. Asinine.

At least VA has an annual safety inspection. MD doesn't. In MD, a vehicle only gets inspected when the title changes hands. So you've got tons of poor folks driving around in 20+ year old cars that they've owned for 20 years. That means they haven't been inspected in 20 years. All the tail lights and brake lights are burnt out, the thing is making terrible noises, smoke coming out the back, it's not even road-worthy. But it's perfectly legal in MD. :mad:

25. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Perhaps they do it for the same reasons activist judges do it.
    :D