All iPads Why do i always feel like I'm showing off every time i pull out my Full size iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by x-evil-x, Nov 18, 2013.

1. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

i don't know why i feel this way but I've had the iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad air and every time I'm in public and i am on it i feel like it stands out too much in a bad way. Either showing off that i have it or i feel like its too flashy for the wrong attention(thieves). Does anybody else feel like this? With the mini, if you own it, do you feel this same way?

2. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

bc it looks like you have a cookie sheet with you ;)

3. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

Isn't that a good thing?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never owned a full sized iPad, but I like the fact that I can discreetly pull out and work on the iPad mini in some situations without distracting people around me. I don't worry about "showing off" as its only a tool and not a source of pride, but the screens can be distracting to people in some settings.

5. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No, i don't feel that way.

That could be because I don't give a tinker's damn what others think of my electronic devices...or pretty much anything else that doesn't harm others.

I do try to avoid thieves as best I can...:)

7. x-evil-x thread starter macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

isn't what a good thing?
    standing out when you don't want to stand out? Doesn't sound like a good thing to me.
    its like flashing $$$ in front of some people. we do this with our phones daily but i don't feel like its an as easy target because of size.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like some people are too hung up on what people think of them, which indicates a lack of confidence and self-esteem. I understand peer pressure among the young is intense, but the solution is to rise above it and mature, rather than hide from using electronic devices because of fear that some people may make unfounded assumptions about the user.
    Extremely well said! Now that's a healthy self-esteem!

Good point! If theft is a concern because you're in a high-risk area, I'd recommend you don't expose anything of value that could be a target.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

There are approx 170 million iPads in the wild. 170 million. 170 million.

If you feel like you are showing off or flashy it's you. No one...no one is impressed by an iPad. Go on any U.S. domestic flight and you are bound to find at least one person in almost every row with one.

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Situational awareness. It's a skill that needs to be developed. And risk avoidance. Like stopping at an ATM at 2am to get cash. Something to avoid.

I don't pull it out if I'm in an area that my situational awareness causes my internal alarm to go off. But I generally avoid these places. At work, or at the mall while shopping, I don't feel I'm calling undue attention to myself. Tablets are very common. I remember when cellphones were new. People talking on them looked like jerks to me. Some were, nothing to do with the cellphone.

iPads and tablets are not new anymore. I doubt they will elicit the same reaction.

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

My IPad is in a Folio case and it looks like every other tablet as a result. Secondly every coffee shop I ever visit has so much expensive technology mostly Macbooks that no one would notice.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Depends on what you meant by public. Whenever I'm at the waiting room at the doctor's there are usually at least 5 others (including toddlers) on iPads. And yep, they were iPads (form factor is pretty distinctive). I reckon iPads are pretty commonplace nowadays (at least in the US) that it's not exactly something special. Funnily enough, I've never actually seen an Android tablet in the wild unless you count the Kindle Fire.

Now taking out the iPad in South LA while waiting for public transportation or something, yeah, I'd feel pretty conspicuous.

13. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

It's funny, I always felt the EXACT same way with my iPad 2 after it was released (and even a year after). But now, three years after the launch of the original iPad, everyone knows what an iPad is now. Everyone's used one, and even many, many people have them. The iPad isn't that "new" device it used to be. Tablets are finally a normal part of most of our lives. So it isn't a big deal.

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I actually love doing it - it sends a clear message that I aint some cell-phone slut thats paying out the yazoo for a teeny weeny screen and substandard sound.

Mines bigger than yours..... :D

15. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

"Why do i always feel like I'm showing off every time i pull out my..."

I ask myself this every day.

16. Supra Mac macrumors regular

Quit dancing when you pull it out, life's not a surface commercial.

JK :D

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I'd would feel much more so owning an Apple laptop. I feel lots of folks in B&N or Starbucks using it there just want to show it off. I doubt I would ever bring it there, most don't.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Because you don't have the confidence to use something larger. ;)

19. TwoFive3 macrumors member

I don't know what Im more surprised about, the ridiculousness of this post or the fact no one has mentioned how ridiculous this post is until now.

20. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Sounds like personal security issues to me. Or perhaps a previously buried psychological condition coming to light….

21. typeadam macrumors regular

Is this thread serious?
    Tho TBH, I've seen more people who pull out a pad and pen get weirder looks than those who pull out an iPad... :rolleyes:
    Do they still teach Penmanship at school?

22. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

I feel the same way..
    Finally.

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No pictures....and it's just braggin'!

24. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I know as a rMini owner that when I see a full size iPad I suffer from gamut envy.

25. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd