Why do I have to pay full price for the 3GS when I paid $500 for my 3G 16GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JaredVegas, Jun 9, 2009.

1. JaredVegas macrumors member

Had a quick question on the pricing for the new 3GS. I had to pay full price for my 3G "$500" due to it being an early upgrade from AT&T Tilt. Why don't I qualify for the $200 price for the new 3GS since the last phone I got subsidized pricing on was 2 years ago. The apple store is wanting to charge me a full $600 for the 16G 3GS. :mad:

2. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Visit an AT&T store and explain the situation. Maybe there is a mistake on your online account. It would probably be best to go to the store that you bought the 3G from since they might remember you paying the non-subsidized price. Also take your receipt with proof that it wasn't subsidized.

There was a point when my line was reading that I couldn't upgrade when I had NEVER got a subsidized phone from AT&T (I purchased a 2G from a friend). I went in to the store and made sure that they fixed it.

3. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

This makes perfect sense. You should be eligible for subs pricing. No doubt.

4. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I am guessing that you are in the same boat I am.

When you "upgrade" when you aren't eligible, I bet it still pushes your upgrade date further in to the future.

But nothing really adds up for me.

I bought my iPhone 3G in July on Launch Day.

My upgrade date is 3/12/2009.

About 20 months out.

5. JaredVegas thread starter macrumors member

I understand I didn't pay the no commitment price at the time of $600 since it wasn't offered at launch on the 3G. But it is asinine having to pay the full price which amounts to $400 more. So if I get a iPhone next year after getting the 3GS will I have to pay full price again?

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Actually, it does make sense. You say that you payed the "early upgrade" price, which was, if I remember correctly, about $200 dollars more than the lowest subsidy, but still not full price. Thus, you did get a subsidized phone, just not that cheapest out there. Also, in doing so, you agreed to renew your contract, which means you agreed to pushing your upgrade date back again.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you are out of contract then you get the subsidized price. Call ATT and find out whats up with your contract. If you are off and Apple sees you as on buy it from an ATT store.

8. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Very close to being right. Your contract end date and upgrade eligibility are not the same date. The carriers do this on purpose so you're always tempted to upgrade right before your contract ends to extend your contract out again.

Upgrade for most users will be every 18-24 months. Depending on your rate plan, number of lines, account standing, add ons and cost of service you upgrade eligibility could be as short as every 12 months.

9. JaredVegas thread starter macrumors member

I understand it just really annoying especially seeing as I get quoted $499 while other people at launch get quoted $599. So if get the 3GS for $600 will I qualify for the $200 upgrade price next year for the next phone?

10. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I never said they coincided. ;) But you are correct.

If you are willing to pay the no contract/no commitment price then your contract/commitment will not be altered.