Why do I need to unplug and replug USB for External Devices to come back to life?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by welders4mac, Oct 14, 2007.

1. welders4mac macrumors member

welders4mac

I have two of the newest Imacs, they both scratch the cd/dvd media.

I have bought an external Optical kit and everything worked fine the first time, Plugged in everything including USB and it was recognized.

however once I eject media its like the drive disappears. I then tried to play a dvd and nothing happened. UNTIL I unplugged and re-inserted USB cable, then things seemed to work properly again.

Do I need to keep plugging and unplugging usb cables?'

thanks for any help

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

You just have to insert another CD/DVD. The same thing happens with an internal optical drive (there's no permanent "CD DRIVE" icon on a Mac). Once you put in a DVD/CD, the drive will re-appear. No need to plug-unplug.

3. welders4mac thread starter macrumors member

welders4mac

Yes that does seem to happen, unless I power off the unit. Then I power it back on, I cannot locate it...I try another cd or dvd, does not appear.

I go into system profiler-hardware-usb-refresh, does not pick it up.

Im wondering If I have to leave the power on to the unit at all times

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yes, you do. As long as the computer is turned on, and as long as you're keeping the drive plugged in, there should be no need for you to turn the external drive off.

Also, while I'm guessing you don't want to be without your iMac for an extended period, I would recommend that you send it back and get the internal drive fixed, as soon as you get a chance.

5. welders4mac thread starter macrumors member

welders4mac

Well unless they coat the slot opening with some sort of coating I can't see the problem going away. I find if I place the DVD/CD in the slot...EXTREMELY slowly and avoid the aluminum sides, they do not turn out so bad.