Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clyde Crashcup

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
Its very irritating, my wife and I both have iPhones, we are both on the same apple ID. When she gets a call my phone doesn't ring but when she misses that call my phone shows a missed call icon on the phone app and when I go to the phone app its pretty clearly someone who wasn't calling my phone. Any way to fix this so it stops?
[doublepost=1459035618][/doublepost]
Its very irritating, my wife and I both have iPhones, we are both on the same apple ID. When she gets a call my phone doesn't ring but when she misses that call my phone shows a missed call icon on the phone app and when I go to the phone app its pretty clearly someone who wasn't calling my phone. Any way to fix this so it stops?

I may have found the solution. It has to do with caller ID's..... I use AT&T and have two iPhones on my account. One for me and another for my girlfriend. We also use the same apple ID. I have been noticing recent calls listed on my iPhone that were from her iPhone. This never occurred previously, and there seems to be no solution other than getting separate apple ID's which is not an option for me. So...........I logged into my AT&T account, went to profile/ account users/ then hit the plus sign for my girlfriends cell phone number. My name was incorrectly listed as her caller ID. I changed her ID to Moo Moo (seemed like a good name to me) and I no longer get her calls listed in my recent call list. She still has the wrong ID but at least I get a laugh and don't get Moo Moo's calls listed any more.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I would like to know why you share an iCloud account? Is it to share your iTunes purchases? Your email, notes, calendars etc. Just looking to get an insight as to why you share.

999tommo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2016
We use the Apple ID to sync multiple calendars, so the family are aware of each other's colour coded appointments. Since I removed the option of 'use my Apple ID' in respect of Face Time and iMessage, on each of our phones, none of us have had each other's phone logs and this appears to have fixed the problem for us. So whether we are using the best technique to share calendars or not, is no longer an issue, as the problem no longer exists with us.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
We use the Apple ID to sync multiple calendars, so the family are aware of each other's colour coded appointments. Since I removed the option of 'use my Apple ID' in respect of Face Time and iMessage, on each of our phones, none of us have had each other's phone logs and this appears to have fixed the problem for us. So whether we are using the best technique to share calendars or not, is no longer an issue, as the problem no longer exists with us.

Easier way to sync calendars and stuff, sharing an apple ID will just cause problems.

Clyde Crashcup

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
I would like to know why you share an iCloud account? Is it to share your iTunes purchases? Your email, notes, calendars etc. Just looking to get an insight as to why you share.

I do not use iCloud on my iPhone. I manually backup my iPhone with iTunes to a computer. My girlfriend uses iCloud as her backup. We use the same iTunes account we can share app and music purchases.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
I do not use iCloud on my iPhone. I manually backup my iPhone with iTunes to a computer. My girlfriend uses iCloud as her backup. We use the same iTunes account we can share app and music purchases.

If that's all you share then you can do this under settings > iTunes and App Store. If you did that instead of setting up the Apple ID under iCloud settings you wouldn't get any of each other's calls appearing on each other's phones.

nznative

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
Yes... Same problem with my wife's iPhone and mine. Both running iOS 9.2.1. I hope the next update fixes it. Have called apple care. Their suggestion was to turn off iMessage and FaceTime... But that's not a fix is it. Only just started happening last month. There's nothing wrong with sharing an Apple ID according to the guy at the Apple Store...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes... Same problem with my wife's iPhone and mine. Both running iOS 9.2.1. I hope the next update fixes it. Have called apple care. Their suggestion was to turn off iMessage and FaceTime... But that's not a fix is it. Only just started happening last month. There's nothing wrong with sharing an Apple ID according to the guy at the Apple Store...
Nothing wrong except certain things might not work out the way you want them to.

999tommo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2016

Try going into iMessage and FaceTime settings on each phone and turn off the feature to 'use my Apple ID'. This means you will no longer have lists of phone numbers / email addresses to tick, with only one phone number remaining as contact for each phone. It worked perfectly for me and none of us now receive each other's call lists. I've no idea what has changed in recent updates that makes our previous settings useless, but that appears to be what Apple do. They come up with bug fixes, which then cause other bugs. The end user is the beta tester. I'm sure someone come back with a claim that "it's not a bug, it's how it's designed to work and you're just doing it wrong", but that' just garbage. If it wasn't for the fact that in 99% of uses, Apple products are simply brilliant, I'm sure many users would dump them. The odd inconvenience is a hurdle worth jumping (so far).

Reactions: koolmagicguy

nznative

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
Try going into iMessage and FaceTime settings on each phone and turn off the feature to 'use my Apple ID'. This means you will no longer have lists of phone numbers / email addresses to tick, with only one phone number remaining as contact for each phone. It worked perfectly for me and none of us now receive each other's call lists. I've no idea what has changed in recent updates that makes our previous settings useless, but that appears to be what Apple do. They come up with bug fixes, which then cause other bugs. The end user is the beta tester. I'm sure someone come back with a claim that "it's not a bug, it's how it's designed to work and you're just doing it wrong", but that' just garbage. If it wasn't for the fact that in 99% of uses, Apple products are simply brilliant, I'm sure many users would dump them. The odd inconvenience is a hurdle worth jumping (so far).

Thanks for the advice. Signing Apple ID out of FaceTime and iMessage was one of the first things I tried. After reading a few different threads I have just stopped using iCloud Drive altogether as the call history problem started at the same time I started using it. Hope this is the fix that A LOT of people have been asking for lately. I have given up trying to explain the benefits of sharing an Apple ID amongst family... Frankly, I don't think they can understand the whole concept... But I'm kept sane when I come upon like, open minded experts such as yourself who able to fully utilise the apple network to its full capacity. Well done sir!

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015

There is no problem with sharing an Apple ID so that you share purchases etc, the thing is users just don't understand that you only need to put this in the store settings on your phone, for everything else you can have an individual iCloud account, or not if you don't want your own 5GB of storage for backups or app data.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
After thinking about it your probably correct.

BOTH people sharing an Apple ID need to go to settings, phone, calls on other devices, and deselect the other persons phone.

Sharing an Apple ID is the height of insanity. That gives me a headache! Why???????????!!!!!
Ummmm. they are free.
lol, this is like me saying: "my wife & I share a gmail account... why am I getting mail from HER boss???! *genuine confusion*"
Use two separate Apple IDs....!!! Problem solved.

Look, I know way way way way back when in the iPod days this may have been a good "trick" to share music or whatever- but that was BEFORE your Apple ID became linkable to iMessage, FaceTime (audio & video), etc.
You can enable family sharing & still share the same purchased apps. Getting your own Apple IDs now has many many many positives & not a single negative I can think of!

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I like sharing an iCloud account I just don't like seeing all her recent calls clutter my recent call list and getting notifications on my phone that I missed calls that weren't to my phone number. I have disabled the calls on other devices long ago on my phone but I will check hers

What? Why?
You're married- you share a LIFE together... you do NOT have to share an iCloud. Think about it- you don't share underwear, right? That hasn't caused any issues! There are certain products that are tailored to be used by a single individual & forcing a round peg in that square hole is NOT going to get simpler and easier from here on out.

nznative

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
iCloud was actually designed to be shared. That's what the genius at the apple shop told me. Just not manny people have cottoned on to how to do it!

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
we share an icloud account because we like to have our notes and calanders in sync across all of our devices including each others phones and we like to use apples products for that not a 3rd party solution. If there is a way to do that without sharing an icloud account I would love to know

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's worked for me for years! It's just a bug in iOS 9 that's causing problems.
Just because something worked doesn't necessarily mean it was designed for it and when something about it changed it doesn't therefore necessarily mean it's a bug.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
Thank you! Some people just don't get it do they?

Hi

We share the same Apple ID and have the same problem as noted above. In addition to each of us having iPhones and iPads, we share one iMac. The account on the iMac is tied to the Apple ID. We do not want to have separate log-ins on the iMac. Is there any ways to have separate Apple ID for the iPhone/iPad without having to log in separately on our iMac?

GalFieri

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2016
California
we share an icloud account because we like to have our notes and calanders in sync across all of our devices including each others phones and we like to use apples products for that not a 3rd party solution. If there is a way to do that without sharing an icloud account I would love to know
Can you add a second iCloud account in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars section of the Settings app and only turn enable the Calendars and Notes toggles?

nznative

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2011
I've disabled cloud drive and I am no longer having the problem any more!!! Hopefully the will fix the problem soon and I can start using it again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.