Why do online movies play differently when I’m logged in, and my wife is logged in?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by srowndedbyh2o, May 15, 2009.

1. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

I know there is something simple I’m overlooking, but I can’t figure out what it is. There is a website (subscription) that my wife likes to go to watch streaming movies and TV. When she logs into our iMac, goes to the website, and clicks on a movie to watch, the movie opens in the websites own movie player. When I’m logged into our iMac under my user name, go to the same website and click on the same movie, QuickTime launches and plays the video in a separate QT player. The QT and Safari preferences are set the same when either of us are logged in, so why when I log in do movies play in QT, and when my wife log in they play in the websites movie player? Is there something other than preferences that may be set different? What other settings should I be comparing? BTW, my account is the Administrator account.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Hmm, I wonder if you're using Flip4Mac to watch the video. If the video is in Windows Media format, the Flip4Mac plugin can allow the user to watch it in a QuickTime window or in the actual browser. I'd check System Preferences to see if that is the case.

3. srowndedbyh2o thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you ziggyonice. That was it. Since QuickTime kept launching, I figured it had to be in either the QT preferences or the Safari preferences. Since Flip4Mac works in the background and is not really seen, I had completely forgotten about it, and that it also has preferences.
    I knew it had to be something really simple:eek:
    Thanks again!