iPad Pro Why do over 1 GB iOS games take forever to download from the App Store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by max2, Mar 22, 2018.

1. max2 macrumors 68030

Is to the iPad App store or is it my router/connection ?

This is over WiFi home.

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

It could be your ISP.

Cable companies, such as Comcast, advertise their speeds "up to", but they used to (not sure if they still do), give you a higher bandwidth when initially downloading stuff that would be around the "up to" speed.

After a certain amount of time at this higher bandwidth, the speed would drop, which used to be half of the "up to" speed.

This might sound crappy, but considering that many things downloaded are relatively small, this wouldn't be a problem for most people.

3. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks.

4. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

You can download Speedtest from the App Store to measure the speed. I have no connection to the app whatsoever, I use it, that's why I'm suggesting it.

5. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Yep. I did but it doesn't tell me the speed of the Apple Download servers :(

Anyway Speedtest measures my maximum speed.

6. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Anyone else notice how app downloads are slower on iOS 11 than iOS 10? I actually compared iOS 10.3.3 and iOS 11.2.5 side by side (iPhone SE) and iOS 11 was definitely slower.

7. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Me.

8. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Speedtest is a great tool, and I use it all the time.

It does have its limits though. The OP's issue would be an example where speediest.net would not be a good tool to use.

If the OP's ISP is Comcast or some other cable company, they may use the "power boost" mention earlier, meaning the initial download speed is the advertised fast speed, but when downloading something large, like a 1GB game from the iOS store, the speed drops.

Speed test only tests the initial download speed, not a long sustained speed.

Also, many ISPs open bandwidth for broadband testers to make their customers' speeds appear faster than what they are.

Comcast even recommends using speedtest.net and links it in their support site. Fast.com is a better tester to use, it uses Netflix's servers. But, I don't think it would help the OP though, as it would still test the initial download speed, and not the long term speed.

9. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Never mind weirdly enough they are back to full speed of my connection! Maybe it was the firmware update I did to my router ?

10. FeliApple macrumors 65816

FeliApple

Didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation!

11. max2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Happening again but Speedtest says I am at full speed

12. Johnny365 macrumors 6502

Johnny365

Call your ISP. 1GB+ downloads are pretty fast on my iPad Pro 10.5, and even iPhone 6s Plus. Can't complain.