Why do people ask what computer to buy if they can afford any of them?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMackPro, Apr 12, 2011.

1. iMackPro macrumors 6502

i see at least one or two new threads a day about which computer to buy!!!

if you can afford the high end 15 then buy it!!! threes no reason to buy anything else! especially if its a desktop replacement! I don't care if people say they don't need the speed of a 15, you will eventually as the newer software released is going to be larger and require more juice! anyone that makes a thread about which computer to buy is silly, all you need to know is get the best you can afford! it will pay off now and in the long run. Not to mention theres exactly a 1 pound weight difference between the 13 and 15.

That is virtually nothing! and these computers almost look the same when they are both closed, but theres a huge difference when you open the screen :D

Im really just talking about MBP, the air is a different story. but still can fall under the topic of this thread. which is don't ask which computer to buy if you can afford any of them!! so what if you buy more power than you will use! you never know what you will be doing down the road and it'll be cheaper to add another 500 now than adding another 2000 later for a new computer!

2. sioannou macrumors member

sioannou

Sorry mate but I have to disagree with this. Even if some people can afford buying the high ends of the series there is no actual reason for this. Why buy something that you will never use and have it sitting idle? Also have in mind that most people using computers they just do basic things. So it's impossible for them to drain their computer resources. Besides that I can't imagine a user who's todays usage is just browsing the web in the future demand from his computer to do 3d modeling.

3. AlanFord macrumors regular

Strongly disagree with you.
    I can buy a new high end 15, but didnt wont to give an extra money if I wont benefit from this.I dont game, dont do any hard video editing.So I really dont understand why are you suggesting that every one will need to buy a high end model.Every people have different need.

4. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

because a reason that many can afford to purchase what ever macbook pro they want is that they purchase only what they need and put the other money towards other things they need or save it. Its a concept that is lost on many these days. (think outside of just computer purchases too)

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You're being silly. I bought a 13 this year as a stop gap measure because I didn't want to spring for the high end just before the re-design. I want a late model notebook with an optical drive and the redesigned versions probably won't have them. The redesign might not happen at the next revision but its coming relatively soon.

Besides, everything is trending mobile anyway and all kinds of things from Photoshop to the internet itself is being dumbed down to run on low powered tablets and smartphones.

However, for a stop gap measure I'm really enjoying my 2011 13 inch--and it is significantly easier to cart around then the old 15 I have.

6. willieva macrumors 6502

A laptop isn't a desktop replacement for many people unless you get an external monitor. So for the price of a 15" you can get a 13" with a very nice external monitor. And since most people don't need the extra horsepower of a 15", getting a 13" is more than enough.

Or if you don't need the external monitor, just get the 13" and do something useful with the extra money. Like save it, or spend it on a life enhancing experience rather than some piece of hardware that is just going to be in a landfill in a few years anyway.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yeah this is the kind of logic that got us into the housing crisis. I don't need a 4000 square foot home, but my bank is going to loan it to me so why not! This is the reason I sit in my modest home, driving my modest car, eating at modest restaurants. Seriously, under this logic I should be in a 4000 square foot home, driving a Lexus/BMW, and dining every night at the finest restaurants. Sure I can afford it (to some degree anyway!), but instead I would rather save, payoff my house, and enjoy not being cash strapped all the time.

Edit: With that said, I have the high end 15" MBP with hi-rez screen only because I will actually use it. Multiple virtual machines, comparing large databases, etc.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I buy and I suspect many people buy computers that best fit their needs.

I can afford a Mac Pro but I won't spend over 3k on a machine that I'll not really leverage all that much. Why drop so much $$ on a product that won't be fully used. I don't need an octo-core computer.

So why have someone who just surfs the net buy the highest end laptop or desktop when all they need is the low machine.

I purchased a mac mini for my kids because they don't need anything more then that its just a waste of money to over buy like that.

9. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

Because then don't want to end up with two computers : the one they need an the one they can afford.

10. AlanFord macrumors regular

I love to see people having a 2-3k euros computers and all they do is surfing facebook.And they must buy a ssd too, cause it will open it faster.Yeey.You sound like that type of guy.You dont now if you need that high computer, but its a must.
    This consumerism "just to have" is pretty much going on my nerves.
    Buy things you need, enjoy and use while it last.

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Honestly most "consumers" only need the power of an iPad to consume media. Even then, the low end one would do.

If you actually produce something in this world, then getting a laptop would be appropriate.

12. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    The difference between low end '13 and '15 is $600. If one is not going to utilize the performance advantage of the '15 then spending $600 or more would be a complete waste of money and resources.

Also...how is it cheaper to spend $500 NOW as opposed to waiting 2-3 years to upgrade to a newer model that will be the same price or slightly cheaper while having at least double the performance and new features that don't even exist yet?

My previous laptop that I used for 5 years was $2300, while my new Macbook with almost 3 times the performance (and 10x the graphics power) ended up costing me less. But go ahead, waste your money on features you'll never use, it makes Apple happy.

13. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Well put. I'm enjoying the hell out of my little 13" 2011 MBP. It runs fast enough for my needs.

I learned a long time ago that the extra cost of speed (in this case several hundred dollars) is usually not worth the money unless you consistently perform CPU intensive projects like HD video editing. There also is a smaller return if you decide to sell the laptop in a few years.

14. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I purchased 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Blackbooks for my two oldest children in 2007. While I could have purchased any of the MB or MBP line for them, this model fit both of their needs. Actually both units continue to fit their needs (both college jr's). People are correct to analyze their own personal needs when making this type purchase.

15. mehanika, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  16. d00by macrumors member

With the advent of iPad, I am only going to buy a mac mini in the future.

For personal use, I will be wasting money if I buy anything else.

Unless I get into heavy duty graphical editing stuff, I see no need to buy anything other than a mac mini.

17. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Someone has to admit to being irresponsible, I just got my first Mac and was so excited that even with an employee discount (7%) I went nuts. Got the 17” antiglare, 8gb ram and enough accessories (bag, applecare, iwork, adaptors, games, magicmouse, ect) to shot up the bill to 3,800. About a month before that I got an iPad, appleTV, and a time capsule. I stopped just before buying an SSD card for the espresscard slot to use as a boot drive. I finally said “I don’t need that…..yet”

My job is not in computers, but I am pretty good at using them. Im usually the first person my coworkers call before IT to figure out what they messed up but now I want to take it further. I’m learning to use aperture and look forward to learning iMovie. I got a few games but don’t actually play them. Its still worth it to me since I use it every day and want to learn more about what I can do with it, but still have the nagging feeling I could have spent about a quarter of what I did and had a machine that does more than I currently do.

Hopefully I will grow into it, loving it so far. Any ideas of what I should try to get into?

18. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Why do people not check their grammar and spelling before they post?

19. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I mostly agree with those disagreeing with the OP. If I may make a sweeping generalization, anyone who's asking what level of laptop they should get is probably not a power user and can probably get by with the lowest version of the size they want. If you do stuff that requires more cpu, memory, or disk I/O, then you probably know which one you want/need and are just asking specific questions about problems and/or aftermarket upgrades.

But... sometimes people want to get the best there is because it's the best there is. In my town there are approximately 1.5 million upper end Porsches, M-B AMGs of various models, BMW Ms of various models, and Bentleys. I guarantee that none of them take these cars to track days and that most of them don't even extend the car to the level of performance that makes the car excel over a more pedestrian vehicle. They just you know... drive to the mall and the train station. But they want 'em so they got 'em and sometimes they're beautiful to look at... as I pass them in my lowly BMW Z4-35 that I drive the snot out of.

20. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

21. iMackPro thread starter macrumors 6502

i found all of your answers interesting. I just don't get why people are still arguing with me about the size between the 15 and 13. its ONE POUND WEIGHT DIFFERENCE PEOPLE!! come-on!!! thats horrible don't act like the 13 is like night and day difference! i have both i think i would know!

And buying houses vs computers is not a good analogy because you spend an extra 500 on a computer and an extra 100,000 on a house. i Get your point but still no bueno.

Im not saying you should buy a computer to future-proof. but buy for what you need, plus a little extra, you never kow what you'll be doing in the future! its WAYY cheaper to upgrade now opposed to later.

22. ender land macrumors 6502a

Man, this is an awful post.

First, just because you have money doesn't mean you should buy something. This is basic common sense (I thought :confused:).

It's way cheaper to get the computer you need and not the highest you can afford. I have a 13" from late last year and do fairly involved programming. Would the high end 15" have done better? sure. Would a new one now do better? sure. Can I afford to buy one now? yeah, I could. Should I? no.

You don't understand how the 13" is more portable than the 15"? Two things (which I also thought were common sense):

1. it's smaller
    2. it's lighter

This makes it easier to carry around.

This is a pointless thread. Why did I waste time even bothering to reply...

23. iMackPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Why did you bother writing about what i have already said about the 13vs15. its exactly ONE POUND! unless you're a woman walking 10 miles a day with a bag, the difference is negligible. and is two inches in width really that big of a difference? NO.

24. iMackPro thread starter macrumors 6502

because if you can figure what out what i read then it doesn't matter. Who checks spelling and grammar? pft.

25. AlanFord macrumors regular