Why do people believe in god?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGuardian, Dec 24, 2009.

1. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I've never understood faith or religion. I grew up in an Agnostic household myself, and I've always wondered; "Why do people believe in god?"

I can understand the fact that it is conforming to think that there is some kind of 'master plan' and that when we die we don't simply cease to exist.

But beyond it being comforting, how can one believe in something that there has been no proof of?

Just interested in hearing people's thoughts...

2. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Some for comfort and some for fear. Most people are raised conditioned to a religion of some flavor. To me the only sensible stance is agnosticism because anything else is stating theory as fact. I understand why some people want or need it...hell this life can be miserable and wouldn't it be great if it was somehow "worth it"? But I cannot fool myself and pretend I really think something is true unless I do. So I will remain comfortably on the fence and see what happens...or not...or whatever.

3. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It's emotional masturbation; tribal god images exist for 2 reasons: 1) so people can 'feel good about themselves' without having to rely on themselves to do so ... they feel the spirit of (fill in tribal god image here) in them ....... 2) so they can control others with the so-called 'morals' of their particular tribal god image.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

or 3) It's true.

Atheists are as equally as irritating to me as extreme religious folks...both arrogant at opposite ends.

I think if I have to face anyone in the end saying that I am unsure and didn't want to assume something is going to go much farther than "oops sorry". If I was god i'd drop atheists into the oven for a bit just to burn the smirk off their face then let em in as probationary entrants ;)

5. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Anything you can't prove the negative of might be true, but that's no reason to believe it so.

Isn't it equally arrogant to suggest that "the only sensible stance is agnosticism"?

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Sometimes, having proof doesn't matter to people. Faith does. Your faith tells you, there is no God, for others, it tells them there is one.

Does it comfort you? Depends, many find find comfort in knowing there is a God, while others find it as a burden because they 'have to' follow the laws of God (whoever that is to you).

In the end, you can't just look at God, you need to look at the bigger picture.

My $0.02

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Faith is just a buzz word created by the religious. I have no faith in the lack of a god. There's no sense in trying to prove a negative.

Why must people always be told what to do?

9. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Not arrogant at all...because it obviously IS the sensible position. We have no proof of either so it becomes a giant "I believe" vs another "I believe". If you are picking teams in such an important game without all the facts you are not being very smart...it is your choice but to then go on and on about how RIGHT you are is lame. The choice here is an emotional one at both ends because people have a hard time saying "I don't know".

Faith also makes me chuckle when used in a religious sense. It is just another word for "belief without proof" yet calling it faith seems to make some folks think it is more "true". The best answer I ever got from someone who was religious was "I can't say with total certainty there IS a god...but I believe there is". He was being honest and acknowledged the fact that he doesn't KNOW there is he simply BELIEVES. It's the ones that go all the way on either end and say they KNOW there is or KNOW there isn't that I see as fools.

Like anything else in life I say people are free to enjoy whatever religion they want as long as they keep it out of my face, laws and society. Your house your rules...public space should be generic.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That sounds fairly arrogant. :rolleyes:

What makes it an important game?
    Why does that lead to agnosticism? Why can't you say "I don't know" while being atheist? I don't know if there's a god, so I don't believe in one.

11. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I am not going to play games with you pal...you are either TRYING to argue or are not bright if you don't already know the answers.

Calling the only middle ground position, that doesn't make claims it can't prove, arrogant, is weak man.

12. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

How are you able to say that Atheists (as in all of them) are as bad as fundamentalists? The far majority of atheists I know (Including myself) generally keep mun on the topic. Atheists aren't out to disprove god (some may). They just don't believe in god.

To the supposed atheists that try to argue god left and right. How do you argue something you don't believe in?

I personally feel religion is rather silly. Others don't though. I'm not going to get in their way, unless they get in mine.

Although one day I would like decisions to be made based off how well it helped others, not how it helps us in the eyes of god.

13. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Because they believe something without proof. There very well could be a Christian God and to proclaim there is not absolutely or there IS absolutely without proof either way is stupid.

Just because you don't have enough proof to convince you there IS doesn't mean there isn't. The sniper hidden 1000m away can't be seen but he is there and can kill you dead. But you wouldn't dare go into a war zone and say "pfft I don't see any snipers and nobody I know has ever seen one so they don't exi..BAM!....kerplunk.

Both sides are saying something is fact with no real way of knowing that.

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

You're the only one who is playing games. He clearly said:

I also don't know if a giant cellphone rules the earth from the heavens. Prove me wrong. You can't, but I assume you're an atheist in respect to that proposition, right?

15. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

His questions were not serious. He knew the answers and were trying to use them to "debate". Not playing that game.

I am not going to compare a possible creator with a giant cell phone. I am smart enough to acknowledge that there are things greater than our understanding and will not say smug things like you have. It shows your arrogance to compare the two.

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

EDIT: Forget it. It's not worth debating with someone who so clearly doesn't intend to think about the issue at hand.

17. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Glad you are not into debating because that was my whole point...I am not interested in "internet debate". I state my opinions and if you don't like them there are several ways to ignore them.

18. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It depends on your definition of atheism. It usually means that you don't believe that god(s) exist. Agnosticism usually means that you don't believe it is possible to know whether god(s) exist.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

but your logic dictates you should be agnostic to the idea.

20. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I don't have proof it's not true you are right. But it is such a ridiculous proposition that I would relegate it to firmly improbable and not pay it any more attention. But yes I cannot say it isn't possible. Thing is some people will literally compare your cellphone in the sky and a possible "classic" creator and call them equally as ridiculous whereas I won't. I find a possible "classic" creator more probable than a cell phone god. Good try though.

21. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Then why don't you follow your own advice?

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What makes it ridiculous? I could say that the Christian god is ridiculous, yet you would say that doesn't make it any less true.
    Your logic is severely flawed.
    What makes the "classic" creator any more probable? Because it's a classic idea? Much the same way the world is flat and is supported atop an infinite number of turtles' backs.

23. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

A lot of you guys are wrong on this one. I believe in God. I am a Christian. I believe the Bible to be true. Why? Not for fear of punishment, not for hope of reward. I believe in God because I don't believe that everything just popped into existence. I believe God created us to make fellowship with us, and granted us the universe to enjoy.

The idea of going to Heaven or Hell after I die is NOT my reason for being a Christian. Although I do believe that if one doesn't accept Jesus Christ as his or her Savior, he or she will go to Hell, it's more of a perk rather than the driving force behind why I believe.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That in no way is support for a Christian god over any other.

And calling us wrong because you believe in god is arrogant, which is a sin...

25. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

If you have seen God, touched God, seen God's works, and trust in God to spend eternity with Him, then belief is not so much of an issue. The perfection of nature says His name, since nature could not be perfect without His hand. Without belief in Him, the faithful would be lost; faith sustains and God rewards. For my part I wonder how the agnostic live; how the atheist survive? I am certain it is a life devoid of meaning, apart from Him and His promise.