Why do people call it the "iPhone 5"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tsuchiya, May 27, 2012.

1. Tsuchiya, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

edit: OK, I'll admit fault here. After a couple of you so politely mentioned that this is a common thread here I went looking and found that you were right :D

My bad, I don't browse this sub-forum often at all so didn't realise.

Mods, please feel free to lock this.

(though for the record, if Apple want to name the 2012 iPhone, it shouldn't be "iPhone 5 :p")

Also most of you are douchebags for jumping down my throat so quickly :D

Peace.

2. matttye macrumors 601

Because people are stupid.

And if it actually ends up being called the iPhone 5 - Apple is stupid too.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It'll be called 'iPhone' like the back of all of them. Apple will introduce it as 'the new iPhone!'

4. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Well, in any case, let's just hope that the iPhone 5 will be about the same size as the 4/4S, but with a 4 or so inch screen.

5. Sebct macrumors regular

I think the next person to start another one of these threads should be thrown into a kennel with a large pack of hungry wolves.

Then when they're nearly dead, bury them alive in a coffin filled with wasps.

And if they do give it a name, it will be the iPhone 5

Just re-read your post and then realise how idiotic you sound.

No hard feelings.

Peace,

Seb

6. thewoz macrumors member

Look at your post again. If you showed that to a bunch of 1st graders what would they answer?

7. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Boy, it's a good thing you brought this up. How is it possible that this crucial and essential issue has never been discussed before.

How alert and perspicacious of you to think of this never before discussed topic. And with such clear and unassailable logic!!

I know I speak for all of here on MR by saying to you...thanks so much for calling attention to this heretofore unconsidered topic!

Attached Files:

8. olliect macrumors newbie

You two remind me of this guy.....

[​IMG]

:cool: :apple:

9. Tsuchiya, May 27, 2012

Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

LOL you guys get upset way too quickly. I was simply curious ;)

Congratulations to those who posted condescending and frankly insulting replies. How proud you must be! *pat on the head*

10. NbinHD macrumors 6502

I guess Apple thinks that every time they update a phone (eg. iPhone 4 to 4s) they think it is the next generation, which holds true for the most part but some people must think otherwise.

11. matttye macrumors 601

It's not the 5th generation iPhone, it doesn't use 5G networks, there's no reason to call it 5.

Imagine the confusion:

Person 1: "Just got the iPhone 5."
    Person 2: "Oh the 5th iPhone?"
    Person 1: "No the iPhone 5."

Makes no sense.

They'll most likely follow what they've done with the iPad and just call it "iPhone."

12. Sebct macrumors regular

Back to the home now...

LOL! :eek::confused::rolleyes:

Not sure if trolling...?

13. matttye macrumors 601

Logic must not be your strong point!

14. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Nonsense. No way somebody is going to ask 'oh, the 5th iphone?'

iPhone 3gs, 4, 4S, 5 are just names. We're not keeping count or something. Only the really obsessive compulsive do. Hence their confusion.

15. matttye macrumors 601

Naming has to make sense though.

Google has been criticised over their versioning system for the Chrome browser. It's a much newer browser than say, Internet Explorer or Firefox, but they're already on version 22, whereas IE is on version 9!

If the "iPhone 5" isn't the 5th generation iPhone then it's a stupid name. Anybody who can't comprehend that is also stupid.

16. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Another week passes by and I thought we would get lucky and not have this same stupid question being asked again, but low and behold, it was. Goodness, how many times has it been now ? Lost count. Would you really STUPID posters without a brain, please stop it. By the way, why don't you posters do a simple search first to find if this has been asked before, specially those that have been around since 2008

:(

17. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

It does. 4/4S -> 5 and probably 5S. If we'd stick with your line of reasoning we might be calling the supposed 7S the iPhone 12.

If you've got a rigid mind it is, yes.

18. Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Yes, I'm sure you go to bed each night praying that you won't be inconvenienced by another thread like this. *sigh* sometimes the internet is just hard :(

19. matttye macrumors 601

That makes more sense than calling it the 7S when it's actually the 12th iPhone!

I bet it will just be called "iPhone" as I expect Apple have realised there might be confusion if they call it something stupid like iPhone 5.

20. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

To people who hang around on cell phone forums too much it does. To the average person who doesn't have the slightest idea how many iPhones there were before the 4S, it doesn't. Which is why Apple will call it the 5 if they keep with the number thing. I could explain it even simpler for you, but I want you to think about it yourself.

21. olliect macrumors newbie

The above proves and gives a legitimate reason for the reaction you got Tsuchiya.....

Are you one of those people that go on youtube and post hate comments because you get bored ? :confused:

22. Tsuchiya, May 27, 2012

Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Honestly, no. You assume that because I used the word "douchebag"? My response was tame in comparison to some of the other posts here...:confused:

Anyway, I agree DefBref's post does give a legitimate reason for a negative response, hence why I admitted that I was at fault for posting without browsing the forum first.

23. olliect macrumors newbie

Just saying that to go around calling people douchbags isn't the best way to make friends......But if it works for you ;)

At least you admitted your mistake....good man :D