Why do people care?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, Oct 17, 2010.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

We all hear the allegations about Obama being a muslim. What I want to know though is why do some people have such a hugh issue over it. Let's say he is a muslim, why do these people care? Yes, the people who attacked us on 9/11 were muslim. But, they were radical muslims distorting their religions beliefs to justify their own actions. Certainly, not all muslims are terrorists and you don't have to be muslim to be a terrorist.

We live in the US where people are free to practice whatever religion they want. We are not a christian nation. We should not care what religion our president is. All we should care about is if he/she is going to lead our country to prosperity and a path down success. Religion should not matter and trying to just makes these people sound intolerant.

2. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The people who allege are orifices who are frustrated at not being able to call Obama a porch monkey. The people who give a 3o=8 are just their gulls.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't.

I'm not convinced one way or another what his religion is, either - I don't guess it ever mattered to me beyond simple curiosity.

Why can't we call him a porch monkey? We can call him a cracker, too. Win-win! [/sarcasm]

Seriously, that claim is a bit of a foul-tempered stretch, wouldn't you say?

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

People care because they can't call him a n****r.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why can't people call him a porch monkey? What's stopping them?

6. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

This pretty much hits it on the head. It's obviously about his race, but I don't think they're all racists. Many, but not all. Some are confused or ignorant.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that most of the people that think he is a muslim and are bothered by it are the same people who think that Bin Laden represents all Muslims. And if you believed that, which I don't, it would be obvious that you wouldn't want a muslim in the white house.

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Let's face it, obama's opponents like to play the muslim card against him because they know many americans don't like muslims. My guess would be that well over 50% of americans have a negative view of muslims, and that's not changing anytime soon.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

It's part of the Three Step Plan:

1. Associate terrorist group with a large minority. Muslims. Check.

2. Demonize said large minority. Victory mosques. Sharia law. Bill O'Reilly. Check.

3. Associate your opponent with said demonized group. President's father was a Muslim and so is he. Check.

Now you have a large number of simple people actually thinking that he is a terrorist.

Personally I could not care less if he was sacrificing goats to Beelzebub in the Oval Office.

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Interesting point.

I guess I didn't know one in ten Democrats "care because they can't call him n****r," but they say you learn something new every day.

Likewise, I didn't realize that the number of Democrats desiring to call Obama a porch monkey is ten percent and growing.

11. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Let's face it, obama's supporters like to play the race card against opponents because they know many americans don't like racists. My guess would be that well over 50% of americans have a negative view of racists, and that's not changing anytime soon.

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Are you saying that the rest have a positive view of them?

13. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

That's a fair question, and I'll give you a fair answer. I'm "saying" as much as likemyorb is saying.

Which is nothing.

14. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

My guess is your guess is wildly optimistic.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People who hate Obama also likely hate Muslims.

School yard logic... take two things you hate and combine them.

Thus, Obama is a Muslim.

Idiots.

16. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Perhaps.

What did you think of likemyorbs' guesses?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It would make a terrible mess of the carpets.

18. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I thought the same but he could just have them redecorate in a lovely scarlet red. It would be dual purpose. ;)

19. 184550 Guest

I'd imagine it's the same underlying reason that made it a big deal for JFK to be Catholic and for Mitt Romney to be Mormon.

20. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Yeah, I was just about to mention that. I really don't think it is because these people can't use racial slurs. Because people didn't like JFK because he was Catholic.

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Ummm... by your logic, wouldn't that make Obama a Christian? :confused:

Isn't the church that you go to and the faith that you profess the indicator of what you are?

The point is that even though he is a self professed Christian that some still think he's a muslim.

22. 184550 Guest

Sounds like someone's been talking to Carter.

23. 184550 Guest

I'm not sure what you mean.

Where did I allude to the fact that the man was or wasn't a Christian?

EDIT:

Nice quick edit.

The underlying reason I was referring to is the fact that people are generally scared and hesitant to accept things that foreign to them and that they don't know that much about. Islam is a misunderstood and strange religion to most people. Similar to how Catholicism was in the 1960s and Mormonism is today to a certain degree.

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

My bad,I didn't read it,so it puts a different slant on your post.:)

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's a false comparison...

Romney is a Mormon.

JFK was a Catholic.

Obama is not a Muslim.