Why do people forget that every smartphone is business owes its design to iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

So my dad tried to get slick about how iPhone is "finally" getting a big screen and he gave me a look like he got me good. Like a cheeky smile like as if his, and any every phone on the market not bankrupt, doesn't owe its whole existence to the revolutionary iPhone original.

Do they not realize how different smart phones might be today?

Or how much more behind the times we would be slowly progressing with tech? Maybe even have physical keyboards still.

[​IMG]

2. ToroidalZeus, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

i don't always buy cell phones but when I do, I don't mess with knockoffs; iPhone ftw.

3. techn9ne macrumors member

How bout this: competition breeds advancement and everyone copies everyone. It's natural and that's the way it should be. You see what other people are doing and put your own spin on it, then someone else sees it and spins it their own way. It goes on and on and on and this is how we get phones that evolve and grow more powerful with each generation. Without the competition and innovation and people sharing, exchanging, and inspiring ideas in one another, there wouldn't be as much advancement. Deal widdit.

4. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I don't think anyone forgets... It's just that no one cares, because it's irrelevant.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

That is a funny pic in OT.

Android people can say whatever they want, but look at smartphones pre 2007 iPhone and look at them post. iPhone is the original and the one that changed the game.

6. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Well its more relevant than the irrelevant boast of Apple being late to having larger screens or acting like we copied and are "behind"

7. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Who cares? What is this thread supposed to achieve?

8. mark824 macrumors member

[​IMG]

This was back in 2002 and an HTC phone. Had a 3.5 inch touchscreen and the shape, minus the antenna, very similar to the iPhone.

What apple did was make the user experience of a touchscreen, easy, enjoyable and simple. Once they did that, the rest came a copying.

9. Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

To clarify how ridiculous it is to ever make fun of Apple considering the context of how every phone today owes everything to their original design.

Its like the pettiest thing possible.

It would be like an average NBA star winning an MVP one season and then taking shots at what Michael Jordan has achieved.

----------

We all know exactly what they did. Don't try to downplay it or the significance of it.

10. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

Oh yes. Thank God Apple came along to save humanity! We'd all be lost were it not for Apple. WRONG!!!

11. urkel macrumors 68030

I was going to create an argument about how claiming "Bragging Rights" is equal to "Coming out when the market demands it" is absurd...

....but then I noticed how you pepper "We" into all your statements about Apple which indicates you are actually think that by buying a phone you are part of the team that creates it.

Jony Ive and his Apple team should be annoyed by samsung ads. Joe Consumer shouldn't care.

12. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

Why do people forget that every smartphone is business owes its design to iPh...

Also have to remember apple didn't create the smart phone they revolutionized.

They didn't just throw out junk, they brought out a complete product that was well crafted and well made what smart phones are today.

They took the time and effort to bring the iPhone as a complete package and lead the standard.

13. mhdena macrumors 6502

Do you sleep with an apple night lite? :eek:

Come back in 10 - 15 years when you move out of Daddy's house.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I also get sick of reading stories with phrases like Apple "finally" releasing "large" phones or, some of these I've seen today, the iPhone 6 "only" has 1GB of RAM. Basically that's the writer acting as an expert on to what an appropriate screen size or amount of RAM is. While it's fine if you're running an opinion piece, if you're trying to be respecting it's complete crap. When people complain about media bias, this is exactly what it is.

I never see Samsung stories about "finally" adding a fingerprint sensor or "finally" using an OS that has an original design. Also don't see any about Google and its Android partners "finally" offering an OS update solution that doesn't involve waiting months after an OS is ready for users to be able to use it.

Also saw some Apple "finally" unveiling a smartwatch, as if the industry had existed since 1885. The f@#%.

15. lke macrumors 6502a

Samsung right now is very scared, they know that the new iphones will make that they sell a lot less phones.

The only top reason for people buying a samsung phone or android phone was the big screen and now that apple has released their new phones people will have an easier choice.

16. sangreal06 macrumors member

Did you forget about the LG Prada from 2006?

[​IMG]

iPhone was (and is) amazing, but let us not rewrite history

17. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Yes, it's true LG beat Apple to the market with an all-capacitive touchscreen smartphone. But there's certainly no way that Apple copied the idea/design from LG. The Prada was announced in December of 2006, while the iPhone was announced less than a month later in January of 2007. Most phones today have a development cycle of one to two years; as Steve Jobs stated, Apple had been working on the iPhone for two and a half years.

And in the end, you have to ask yourself why is the iPhone the one that everybody remembers, and not the LG Prada? Because Apple isn't content with being the "first". They realize the importance of user experience. They weren't the first to have a GUI (that would be the Xerox Alto), and they weren't the first to have tablet computers (see Windows). What's important is that they were the first to make these products desirable; and the Macintosh and iPad were desirable because they were easy to use and good to look at.

More and more companies are understanding the significance of design and its impact on the end user, but Apple has used it as a fundamental cornerstone of product development. It's not just about the iPhone, it's about iOS. That's what you don't understand, and what LG didn't understand.

18. AFDoc macrumors 68030

This

19. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Do people actually give a damn? lol.

Use whatever phone you like. Talk about a waste of a thread.

20. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aLOGUQouUI

LG Prada LOOKS like a modern day phone BUT it FUNCTIONS like old Razr.

Like the poster above me said, Apple redefined the GUI and thus the user experience while the Prada just added a touchscreen.

21. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Exactly. I never used the Prada when it was in production. But looking at it now, the interface isn't that much different from candybar-style phones of the day. All they've done is move the keypad onto the screen. Apple fundamentally changed how the phone works by throwing everything we thought about cell phones in 2006 out the window and creating a GUI that was tailored for finger-based control.

22. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

When I rewatched the iPhone keynote, I heard Steve say something where important: 'It runs OS X.... Why does it run such a power operation system,.... Because OS X has everything we need.' Back in the original announcement I have no idea why he was so exited about that. But looking back it's really obvious that Apple put the power of a desktop PC in your hand whereas every other manufacture (including and especially blackberry) simply tacked on E-Mail and a few other features onto a bare bones phone OS.