Why do people hate the United States because of only a few people?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by coffey7, Sep 28, 2007.

1. coffey7 macrumors 6502a

coffey7

I keep reading all these negative anti-American comments on this site.
    JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE PARIS HILTON, BRITTNEY SPEARS AND PRESIDENT BUSH DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERY SINGLE AMERICAN(ALL 300 MILLION PLUS) ARE A BUNCH OF EVIL NAZI LOWLIFE LOSERS THAT WANT TO RUIN THE WORLD.

I really think that is the biggest problem. People believe every negative thing they hear. People in Iraq were told the US soldiers were going to steal their children or that America blew up its own buildings so they could start a war to steal oil. I guess if I was from another country I would have my head spinning also. The United States has many great doctors, scientists, inventors etc that do many wonderful things for the entire world. You might see the news in your country and think all these bad things because you don't like Bush or Paris but we have normal people just like you in your country. Tomarrow I will wake up and go to work along with many other hard working people and come home and pet my dog. 300 million people. Not all of us are evil. If the USA was blown up tomarrow would it really make your life better?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

But the fact we lets those people lead us....is good enough reason.

But I think its more Bush, then the actors

3. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Just because we have a president nobody likes doesn't mean I am a jerk. I work hard and pay my taxes and am nice to people on the street. The terrorists blew the One tower up(at world trade center) when clinton was president in 1993. Bin Laden and his buddys had pictures of Clinton at the terror camps and were shooting at him in the 90's. Every one in the US is not like whom ever is the current president. Some people will be anti american no matter what.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_bombing

People have been hating the US forever. Why? not every one in the US is evil. Just like not everyone in other countries is good.

4. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Because most people (countries) don't like being told what to do....

IE: The US is doing whatever it has to do (legally and illegally) protect its interests (errr Oil) and that pisses people off.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

People love to generalize. Not much you can do...

ex. If one has a bad experience with a Mac, then apparently all Macs are bad.. :rolleyes:

6. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

DOES ANYONE GET MY POINT? JUST BECAUSE A COUNTRY HAS A BUNCH OF PEOPLE IN IT THAT NOBODY LIKES DOESN'T MEAN WE SHOULD ALL BE HATED OR SENT TO HELL. sorry for the caps.

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

But but but, I thought that was true!!!

:p

YES WE GET YOUR POINT!

But when all you see on American TV now a days is famous people getting into trouble or Britney this or Britney that, it kinda makes ya think WTF?!?!

Generalizing is bad yes, but can I see why people from other countries do it.... you betcha

8. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Just because someone uses a windows computer or a mac doesn't mean we should say they are a jerk or wrong. Its all about keeping an open mind.

9. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Clearly you missed the :p.... my statement twas a joke.

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It goes deeper than that. First of all, in their eyes, we voted in one of the most evil dictators to ever rule the earth... twice. To them, this immediately means that over 50% of our population are idiots.

Secondly, our government has no respect for visiting travelers from other countries (which is far more important in other cultures compared to the US)... We herd them in like cattle, take their fingerprints, scan their eyes, detain them for no reason, and ask them insulting (and very stupid) questions. ...In any other country they would be greeted with a smile, their passport would be stamped, and they'd be on their way in no time.

...But I don't think you fully understand. Most foreigners really do love our country and respect our people in many ways. It's just their negative feelings that get the most attention.

Also, keep in mind, most everything they say is true. ;)

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I wouldn't say that non US citizens generally hate the U.S. But I do think that there are underlying expectations along the lines of "to whom much is given, much is required". And the ground swell of globally informed as well as the marginalized and oppressed do seem to share an increasing disdain of:

• imperialistic aggression and greed in the name of one's flag
    • duplicity/hypocrisy and cronyism in leadership
    • warmongers and lovers of war
    • shallow, smug elitism to the exclusion and marginalization of the masses
    • blind nationalism - self proclamation of "we're the best"
    • materialistic, hedonistic narcissism
    • exploitation while attempting to export and maintain an advantage
    • contentment with ethnocentric ideology

Maybe we should take it more personally to the polls, come November. ;)

12. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I keep reading all these negative anti-anti-American comments on this site.
    JUST BECAUSE WE HAVE KEEF OLBERMAN, MICHAEL MOORE AND AL GORE DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERY SINGLE ANTI-AMERICAN ARE A BUNCH OF LOUD LOWLIFE LOSERS THAT WANT TO RUIN AMERICA.

(Isn't this a little hypocritical? Aren't you basing your idea that the United States is largely reviled based on the opinions of only a few people? If the majority of the United States is not represented by those who are the most prominent or yell the loudest, should you really judge "people" based upon the same prominence or loudness of individuals?)

Additionally, why are you branding critizism as "hating"? To criticize means to care immensely. If you didn't care and didn't want to see things improve for the better, you wouldn't bother trying to address issues that have solutions.

13. calculus Guest

calculus

The people on the immigration desks are just awful.

14. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

15. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Glad we are keeping the hyperbole to a minimum. :p

When I traveled in and out of the Czech Republic I didn't get detained but the grizzled looking dude w/an AK-47 at the border didn't greet me w/a smile and looked even more irritated when asked (well mimed) if he would stamp my passport.;)

Lethal

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Actually, the feelings I listed come almost word-for-word from almost any foreigner I've talked to recently, and the experience I listed above accurately portrays the experiences of my friends that just visited the US earlier this year (from Germany).

...And my portrayal of other country's customs is simply based on my own experiences.

17. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

oooooohhhhhh, there's nothing worse than asking for your passport to be stamped!

Border guards aren't known for their friendliness, but the American INS is absolutely awful.

On topic, the US is at the top of the heap and has been dictating world policy for the last 8 years and on top of it, has made a shambles of the Middle East.

Personally, it's time for Americans to accept reality, the globe doesn't revolve around the USA anymore (if it ever did) yet we continue to think that way. WWII is long over, the Berlin Wall crumbled almost 20 years ago and Castro is just another paper tiger like Saddam was.

The superficial piety, gratuitous flag waving, inability to learn anything about the world that surrounds us, means we're not all that likable to many people. If we want them to stop hating us, maybe we better show some respect?!?!

18. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Quoted for truthfulness.

Well said. I was trying to convey that in my post but as you can tell that didn't work out too well at all.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Which section does "voting in one of the most evil dictators to ever rule the Earth" fall into?;)

And, in my travel experience, I've always had a customs official ask me the basic questions (why are you here, where are you staying, how long are you gonna be here... blah, blah, blah). Except for the aforementioned guard in the Czech Republic, but I don't think he spoke any English.

Speaking of Germany, the last time I was there (2000) they had by far the hottest customs agents I've seen to date. Hot chics in uniform... they can detain me any time. :D

Man... but I like getting my passport stamped.:(

Lethal

20. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Both. ;) (OK, really, that's the foreigner's view, not mine.)

Well, yes, those questions are perfectly innocent. In the US, we ask questions like "were you in any way associated with the nazi party from 1939-1945?" ...That's downright insulting. (But still not as bad as the "Are you a terrorist" question which is also asked.)

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because we see a few and believe they represent the many. That's just how humans work. A few people fly planes into the building, suddenly, there's a great deal of animosity towards everyone in the middle east. A few Japanese people bomb Pearl Harbor, and now everyone in the US hates Japanese people. The Nazis kill some Jews, and now a lot of Jewish people can't stand Germany. Fred Phelps says that soldiers deserved to die because we don't kill all the gay people in America, and now a lot of people despise Christianity. A couple kids who listen to heavy metal shoot up their school, and now everyone hates rock music because it's evil and satanic and makes people violent. A few (err, well 50%) of us vote for some idiot for president, twice, and now all Americans are a bunch of dumb morons. I can go on and on. It just seems like it's human nature to associate the few who stand out with the masses like that, whether it's right or wrong, and you can't change the human mind.

22. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Right.

People dislike the USA because the USA has been successfully projecting its power onto the world for at least the last century (Teddy Roosevelt and even earlier)

Military power (invasions, coups d'etat, military 'advisors', funding rebel forces within other sovereign states, NATO, unilateral action),
    Economic power (unilateral punitive trade measures when it suits US business interests -- like $6 billion illegally taken from Canada's forest industry -- and forcing 'free trade' when it suits),
    Cultural power (through ownership or 'taste-making' influence on the majority of Western media),
    Political power (through UN veto, boycotting of international environmental commitments when it suits US businesses, granting and witholding aid and committments, threats of retaliation, both active and covert support of political favorites within other countries)

People don't like a bully. And the USA has been behaving like a bully on the world stage for a long, long time. Don't blame the rest of the world if we find it hard to distinguish between the actions of a nation, its governmental apparatus and its business interests, from the will of the individual people who elected and support that government.

23. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I think it is a combination of what everyone has been saying:

That the majority of the people in this country (unfortunately) elect leaders that are bullies and treat the world like it belongs to the United States. The majority of people in this country are flag-wavin' truth hatin' people ready to gulp up any bull the media or administration feed to them.

I think it is also what yg17 said:

This is true as well. I'm reading a book right now about the anti-war movement during the Vietnam era. The author (who was a peace activist) complains that the entire peace movement was characterized by the crazy activists who would start riots and wave the North Korean flag. That wasn't the real peace movement, but it is what got ratings on the news, so that is what the news showed. Soon, the entire country believed that the only people that opposed the war were these crazy 20-somethings.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They dislike our gov. Shoot, most of us don't like our gov right now, who can blame them. But most of them can tell the difference between our gov and us. They know there's a vocal majority who actively are against what the gov is doing. It's not enough to some of them, like those who truly hate us, because the acts still go on. Making the rest of us somehow somewhat complicit, because we don't stop it. But those who know us know this is only a speed bump, and soon we will be back to our less evil ways. Hopefully.

Still, when asked, I'm sure many out there would still love to be living here. Especially under a different regime. Not because of what we are, but because of what we stand for, and what we're supposed to be. Part of that being the fact that we get to complain openly. That whole free speech thing. So even though things aren't terrible, things also aren't that great in some areas. And if we don't want to become worse, we criticize and keep guard against the worst to make sure things don't.

So appreciate the criticism. Makes up better. Makes us what we are.

25. coffey7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

coffey7

Look at the Ny Yankees in baseball. Almost every baseball fan that goes for a small market team with less money hates the yankees because of their success and all the money they have to spend. It clearly is an unfair advantage. I'm sure some people have the same thoughts about the US. I'm glad people around on this site get my point. That not every single person is the same and just because we have Paris Hilton and some jackass elected officals doesn't mean the entire country should be wiped off the map. I really think Hollywood has ruined the countries reputation also with all of its silly movies that make Americans look like fools. Back in the early days of movies Arabs were always portrayed as having long hook noses and had the faces of devils. I'm sure those movies didn't help Arab relations. There were always negative thoughts about the US way before Bush was president. Even before he was born. Every president was hated for some reason or another. Bill Clinton was not liked in the terrorist circles(August 1998) when he sent cruise missiles at Bin Laden and friends that were training in an Afgany terror camp. I liked the move since he could not just stand around and watch all of our people get killed(1993 world trade center, Kobar towers, embassy in Kenya and Tanzania etc). Of course our support for Israel(which I support) will never win points in the Arab world.