Why do people who have an iPhone 4 bother buying an iPad 2 3G ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by freddy-b, Mar 27, 2011.

1. freddy-b macrumors regular

Its cause 4.3 has wifi tethering.. so whats the point really?

you can just make your own network using your iphone... and ur online..

Whats the point?

2. ripper998 macrumors regular

because they dont want to be limited to the tether data plan?

They dont want to carry their phone around?

Because its their choice?

3. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

because some carriers charge extra for a tethering option

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The point I suppose is freedom of choice. If someone want's an iPhone and a 3G iPad, then more power to them. It should make no difference in anyone else's life if another buy's a WiFi or 3G iPad.

6. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Well, first I don't want to give up my unlimited data plan. And second, my iPhone is with AT&T, but I want my iPad to be with Verizon so no matter where I travel, I'll have data service.

7. adrianeitor92 macrumors newbie

8. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I personally get the 3G iPad models because I have the unlimited iPad data plan, so I'm not dependent on my phone's data connection to be able to have connectivity. As much as I like to test out different phones (right now I have 5 different phones that I rotate between occasionally), I don't always know that I'll be using a phone with a tethering option. Plus, with the additional GPS option, the 3G model has added functionality that I use anyway. And as a few people here have already said, tethering to the iPhone drains its battery pretty quickly. So I see many reasons to pick up the 3G model, if you can afford it financially.

9. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Don't you think this is true of anybody who purchases an iPad?

For me it is simply because I am in the States for work rather regularly, and instead of dealing with roaming charges for data and tethering, it is easier to turn on 3G and obtain mobile data via the iPad rather than my phone.

I'd rather pay the $130 and know that I have it when I need it rather than wishing that I had it when I don't.

10. poloponies macrumors 68030

Because the 3G makes the device especially useful when traveling outside the US.

11. Mildewy macrumors newbie

Seriously, an hour of tethering and you'll have 2 devices unable to get online...

12. auero macrumors 65816

Battery life, ability to view on a larger screen. Tethering costs about the same as just getting the 3G model but I don't want to lose my unlimited data on my iPhone.

Another reason is for the GPS. I'm working on a way to implement it into my car. It would be much, much cheaper than an aftermarket unit. (No I'm not trying to drive and surf the web or watch movies.)

13. powerbooks macrumors regular

Why nobody care to check if there is a real GPS in 3G version?

Or has Apple changed mind and given GPS to WiFi only iPad?

14. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Why do people continue to ask why others buy the iPad2? :D

Life is short. When devices/topics/subjects don't interest me I just move on and spend my time with things that do.

15. mirage699 macrumors member

I second that.

16. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Probably because they're wondering about making the best choice for themselves.

In my case, some recent changes have caused me to come out slightly ahead, monetarily.

The 4GB tethering plan for the iPhone 4 has caused me to be able to drop my $29.99/month data plan for the iPad.

The recent AT&T changes that allow free voice calls with all other mobile carriers has caused me to be able to drop my voice plan to a lower tier, and I notice that dropping to the lower tier on my family plan has not made the rollover minutes disappear.

So...I'm sort of with the original poster in understanding why we might want to drop the 3G data plans on an iPad now that we can easily tether with Wifi or Bluetooth.

In fact, the iPad 2 that I just ordered is a WiFi model instead of my previously preferred 3G model.

:)

17. mikethebigo, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011

mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The answer is mostly above, some people have the extra income, some don't want to switch to the tethering plan, and some don't want to have to rely on the phone for internet when they're out an about with the iPad.

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Why do people who have an iPhone 4 bother buying an iPad 2 3G ?

Because we can.

We do people who have an iPhone 4 with tethering and a wifi iPad care what we do. This is not a question.

19. Selfdestrukt macrumors member

hehe when outside of US -- android hotspot ftw

20. Zeos macrumors 6502

Nice to have a stand alone device. I thought about this and decided I didn't want to be anchored down to a second device.

21. aserafin macrumors member

Unlimited data plan on my iPhone, battery drain and not having to rely on 2 devices to make iPad work

22. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

All of these and the "just in case" factor. I like knowing I have it if I need it instead of wishing I had it

23. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

because I have an iPhone 4 and my family will use the iPad. I will not always be there.

Trust me, if you have a 3 year old freaking out and you are in an airport, there is no better life saver than streaming netflix Diego - instant calm.

24. Chapuys macrumors member

As I posted in the UK iPad 2 thread,

Explains my reason.

25. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Umm, at least on AT&T in the States it costs more to tether.

For example, my wife has the $15 phone data and will likely get the $20 Verizon 1 GB iPad data plan. That's $35 a month for data service.

To tether, however, she'd have to have the $25 data pro iphone package, and pay the $20 tethering charge. That's $45.

Now, granted, if she tethered, she'd have *a lot* more data to use, but that's hardly relevant if she doesn't need/use more data.

So the extra $130 it costs to buy the 3G model is paid for in 13 months by not having to tether. *Plus* we'll make a good portion of that premium back if we sell. *Plus* she doesn't have to drain her battery by tethering.

And perhaps most importantly, she can open up the smart cover and it's on. No need to fuss with the phone. This is after all a convenience device.