Why do reviews say the iPhone 3Gs NEEDS more buttons and a physical keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iHalo, Jun 21, 2009.

1. iHalo macrumors regular

http://www.infosyncworld.com/reviews/cell-phones/apple-iphone-3gs/10353.html

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/17/iphone-3g-s-review/ ". While the smartphone market has cracked wide open lately, the iPhone is arguably the market leader (at least in mindshare), and really does showcase a superb platform -- lack of physical keyboard and multitasking aside."

I had a Treo 300, 600, and 650. I type way faster on the iPhone's keyboard. Do people not understand that it will make it more clumsy and requires a hardware change for every single country? I would HATE a physical keyboard, why do these reviews and many more claim it needs one?

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

because the reviewers are stupid! LOL I hate physical keyboards now!

3. qwerty2k macrumors regular

iphone 3gs is my first touch screen phone, i txt more than i phone so thought i may suffer, if anything txting has become vastly quicker with the touchscreen keyboard.

4. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

I don't understand it either. I have no trouble typing on the virtual keyboard, for me having a physical keyboard would be a massive compromise for those people with small motor function.

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Typing on my iPhone is a pain. Too many errors due to the lack of feedback. It's more difficult to determine the location of the keys when compared to a physical keyboard. With a physical keyboard it's possible to type without actually looking at the keyboard.

Love my iPhone but I personally would like the addition of a sliding keyboard.

Cheers.

6. molala macrumors 6502a

I had to get used to the virtual keyboard. I still make mistakes (and I have tiny fingers). I have to say I prefer the keyboards of my Treo 650 and Centro (I could almost touch-type). But the overall experience of the iPhone (wifi and multitude of newer apps) is worth it.

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

The only time I wish I had a physical keyboard is when I'm typing with one hand while driving. Yep, I said it.

Otherwise, I am immensely faster at typing on the iPhone's keyboard.

8. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

Whats there not to understand. Some people like physical keyboards more. I type better with a physical keyboard, but I sacrificed that for a larger screen. Plus the iPhone keyboard will occasionally lag, plus I have to look at the letters as I can't feel where they are. Why would you think everybody would think the same as you.

9. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

The iPhone doesn't have a physical keyboard because the iPhone is an international phone, and physical keyboards can't do this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

no, thats not the reason. who said that because you have a physical keyboard the on screen keyboard has to go away? they can both exist together.

11. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Just another strike that they want to hold against the iphone. Good thing is Apple will never put one on it. I'm sure a 3rd party company can develop one for those who need one.

12. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

i do fine without a physical keyboard. I'd rather not have one on the iphone or even a slide out or whatever keyboard. it would hurt the phone immensely.

13. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I guess it depends on what you like

I had an HTC something or other and I had the keyboard it was ok nothing special, but the iphone keyboard is great and now that it goes into landscape mode itis even better,

14. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

They could, but if someone were to buy the iPhone because of the physical keyboard then they'd probably be annoyed that if they wanted to type in a language other than English, they'd have to use the on-screen keyboard.

Of course, Apple could make a physical keyboard for every separate language that the iPhone currently supports... but you and I know that's never going to happen. It would be a nightmare.

15. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Exactly the benefits of on screen keyboards outweigh any benefits the physical keyboards have. I think Apple was the first company to have a phone with no physical keyboard but have it on screen, some one correct me if I'm wrong. I think the majority of the phones in the future will be like this and if a physical keyboard is needed a 3rd party company can make it. The Storm and the T-Mobile "G2" are examples of phones moving in this direction.

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

It's just the same 'ole anti Apple crowd. They are used to their Rimm
    stuff and don't want to admit they should switch. And a lot od it is originates from the
    NY press, where the ATT service is at its worst (from what I have heard-it is very good here in Texas).

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The virtual board is great. I don't have to worry about a slider or clamshell mechanism on my iPhone to break, and unless you want a foot long or really wide iPhone, they'll have to shorten the screen size which just isn't going to happen.

It takes some getting used to, but i can type while just focusing on the text area in most cases, and whatever mistakes do come up, are automatically fixed, and no , I don't spend all my time texting. Other phones *coughwinmobilecough* know they couldn't get away a 100% software keyboard because the OS (well atleast the phones i've used) aren't nearly as robust as its implementation in OS X.

Apple designed the phone/mobile os x probably with a virtual keyboard in mind from the start (at the threat of a jobs smackdown).

18. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

100% agree, I love how I can write email to my Japanese friends and family from my iPhone using Japanese keyboard. Or search google with Japanese characters for Japanese results. Physical keyboard is over rated. (I had Treo 600, 650, 700 before)

19. boonlar macrumors 6502

physical keyboards are amazing. I can type like 50wpm on one. Whoever decided to make an onscreen keyboard wasn't very bright. I mean the screen is for viewing and if you have your fingers all over it then that defeats the purpose. The iphone would sell way more if it had a slideout keyboard and every fanboy here would suddenly be like "man this keyboard is awesum! steve jobs FTW LOLLO!"

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It has nothing to do with the OS. And aftermarket WM software keyboards are fine.

Who knows? After all, they've said that stuff like fingertip scrolling came along midway.

Personally, I think the iPhone could benefit now from having a few spare user-defined buttons.

It's ridiculous how Apple overloads the poor Home button, and worse yet, has committed the cardinal UI sin of changing its functionality. As we've seen before, thousands of users will never read the manual and figure out the change to shutting down an app. :)

21. JRBTempe macrumors newbie

Trust me, I just spent 2 weeks with a Palm Pre in addition to my trusty iPhone 3G (and now 3Gs)... maybe it's because I went from regular T9 phones (Motorola ROKR and SLVR) to the original iPhone, but the Pre's hardware keyboard sucks. I returned it because there's no way I'd ever get used to it after the iPhone.

Critics will always beat the iPhone up for having a software keyboard, but ultimately I think Apple made the right choice. It's certainly a more versatile choice, being able to switch languages on the fly and having it disappear when it's not needed. I could never go back to hardware keys now!

22. veritech137 macrumors newbie

after my 3g was stolen, i used a phone with a physical keyboard. It sucked. Now that i have my 3gs, I type waaaayyy faster and more accurately.

23. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I woud feel the need for physical buttons only if I would play my old favorite Nintendo games on iPhone. But, I'd rather choose not playing games.

24. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

Oh come on. This is one of the most absurd things I've read here, and that's saying something. Wanting a physical keyboard on a phone isn't "anti apple". It's pro physical keyboards. Some people just like "real" keyboards. They're simply pro "what works for me".

25. Nanook macrumors regular

Nanook

Keyboard is fine for the bonus is screen size, but you have to concede that touch typing is thrown out the window, as you must look at the keyboard and screen constantly for all but one button press.

I do wish, however, that we had at least two more hard buttons on the bottom; there is plenty of room. Imagine being able to assign that many more shortcuts to frequently used apps or speed dials: single click, double click or long press. It would expand the iPhone's usefulness exponentially. Not just shortcuts, but any time you needed a button to press in an app, you could use them instinctually, and not need to look at where you're pressing. This would really help with one-handed use, as well. I am specifically thinking about zooming in maps here, as I cannot zoom out with one hand.

And while we're at it, would it really kill us to have one little status light? We could see if we had any missed calls, texts or voicemails at a glance without having to pick up the phone and press a button.