Why do some people constantly complain about Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tymaster50, Oct 4, 2012.

1. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

They're not perfect, they don't tout themselves as being perfect as far as I know. But gosh people will find anything to gloss over when they release a product. Wow! Putting keys and an expensive phone in the same pocket results in the phone being scratched! Apple didn't finish getting data from TomTom in some places? For shame! They don't change the perfectly fine design of the iPhone 4? iPhone 5 is exactly the same and not worth it!
    I guess once you become popular you have to do everything right or else.

2. hollowplayer macrumors regular

3. stuaz macrumors 6502

4. boto macrumors 6502

boto

People have expectations. If Apple doesn't fulfill them than you can be sure people will complain. Whenever you pay a PREMIUM price for Apple products don't you expect a pristine condition and operates as intended? I sure would, and I'm willing to exchange/refund to no ends to receive the perfect product for me, especially with the rMBP IR issue. I'm still in the process of obtaining a Samsung display without any defects (dead pixels, pressure points, yellow/pink tints, and MOST CONCERNED, backlight bleeding).

5. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I don't pay for the product to be perfect when I get it, I pay for customer support and software. 2gb of ram or 4gb of ram it doesn't matter to me, as long as it works. If I ended up with the world's tinniest nick on the band I wouldn't complain about it. It isn't Apple's fault, foxconn built it and the only thing they can do about it is give you a refurbished one. Now I was one of the lucky ones I guess, my device is perfectly fine, I don't even use maps but if I do to look around an area it's fine, there are no blurry images or anything and I live in a relatively small town in new jersey. Now if my phone was like banged up and the PHYSICAL layout was not ideal then I would swap it for another one but I'm not gonna swap it because theres a barely noticeable nick in the band, what is someone else really needed that model and you took it because you're ocd'ing on a nick.

6. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Well there some chronic complainers, but there are also chronic "praisers" aka fanboys. Apple certainly deserve much of the criticism lately-that doesn't mean we don't like them or that they have not done some great things.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple charges premium prices for products that they make pretty grand claims about. You can't do that and not expect to be challenged.

The Maps situation shows this quite well. They pitched Maps in iOS 6 as the best product on the market, but now they've issued an apology and toned down the marketing material on their web site.

8. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

I've got no complaints, compared to other pc/mobile manufacturers Apple is practically a saint! :apple:

9. aldo82 macrumors regular

Of course its apples fault. They are the richest tech company in the world, if their manufacturing process isn't good enough then they spend some of their precious profits on sorting it out.

I was wow'd by Apple several years ago when I picked up an iphone 3G on launch weekend. I then upgraded to the 3GS and 4 and added an ipad and macbook along the way. I was an out and out apple fan and convinced many people to also make the switch. However, recently they've started to loose me and I see apple resting on their laurrels and relying on their ever faithful customers, rather than pushing the boat out and really moving things forward. The post above is a perfect example of someone who would buy apple regardless of the problems. To be honest, I defended apple on the whole antennagate issue on the iphone 4. Looking back, I was completely wrong to. Apple did mess up, the design was a mistake. Perhaps that was the start of it going wrong.

My original ipad is now so slow its almost unsuable. Yes its old but iOS is a basic OS, they haven't updated it to the latest version so I wonder why it hasn't lasted much longer. Clearly it was so underspecced initially so people upgrade quicker. My 3 year old macbook has now slowed down as much as my 3 year old windows laptop did. I loved OSX because it was so fast and I never had to wait for things to load, now its slow and clunky and the loading symbol comes up a lot.

For my phone I'm now using a galaxy S3 and to be honest its a breath of fresh air. I used to slate android but I'd never used it (like many of the haters I think). Quite frankly its great and I've had app crashes far less than I used to on iOS. I wanted the iphone 5 to wow me and win me back but it hasn't and I'm now considering a Nexus 7 (or Nexus 10 if they release one) to replace my ipad and, whilst I thought when I switched to the mac I would never go back, I might actually go back to windows for my next computer because I just can't see what the apple premium gets me any more.

Apple go out of their way to state how great the build of the iphone is. It should be near perfect (within reason) out of the box and I think the more people that take them back the better so maybe they will start to build to the quality level the retail price actually warrents!!

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's just like watching the presidential debate. Among his supporters, some people are rather comfortable with Barack Obama looking cool and smart, although saying "uh" too much like a lot of us, while others wanted him to act like a rabid dog on roadkill.

I complained a lot about the exclusion of not-so-older Macs with the AirPlay Mirroring feature just because they lacked a stupid tiny piece of equipment on the GPU that wouldn't make the processor work as hard. I haven't even paid off my iMac yet, so that royally miffed me because I would be mirroring Hulu and stuff like crazy.

But most the time I'm on here praising a lot of what Apple does and realizing that there are humans running things. The same people complaining about Apple Maps are a lot of the same who would complain if iOS 6 had maps without turn-by-turn navigation. "Android has had this for years! Time to catch up, Apple!" While the feature obviously has flaws, I guarantee you millions will use it and find nothing more flawed than any paid GPS app. My Magellan app and every other navigation app I can think of tells me to go through downtown to get home despite the fact that the traffic lights down main street are NOT timed and will hold you up like crazy. And that's at night when the streets are empty! My real estate agent showed me the route I take when showing me the house, and it is MUCH QUICKER.

Apple has a history of making some mistakes but then fixing them. I see the company of one that is not afraid to go bigger to do something right, namely iCloud over MobileMe. It's not perfect, but it's lightyears better than the crap I put up with from HP and Dell before I bought my first Mac a few years ago.

11. tymaster50 thread starter macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I blindly buy Apple? The only thing Apple I own is an iPhone. I bought my mom an iPod Touch. I knew for $199 on a carrier what I was getting, an above average smartphone. Everything has it's faults. I didn't really get antennagate since the way I hold my phone I don't manage to cover all 3 antennas. I'm guessing the problems with the iPhone are relative, because I never get any of them and neither do the people I know. I never had a 4S so the iPhone 5 did wow me upgrading from a white 4. siri isn't a killer feature but it has its upsides, the longer screen feels kinda cool, I definitely needed a new charger since I managed to almost short mine to the point where I had to hold my iPhone a certain way to charge it. I don't really agree with the headphone position but it's understandable. i definitely love the speed boost and lte and iOS 6 mostly.

12. matttye macrumors 601

Maps suck so bad.

That's my only real complaint about the phone.

13. simmo0916 macrumors member

lol, go look at a Windows forum if you think this is complaining :D

14. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Because they are hipsters and Apple is too popular now and they don't like it.

Simple as that.

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

All the giants need to suffer critic just look at Mircosoft even if they do things right they get bashed by so many people. Whatever they do somebody complains. With Apple expectations are high and therefore the critic.
    I think Maps is a bit of a unique case. Most other mistakes have been little flaws. This was a serious departure from their usual philosophy. Apple was know under Jobs to only release the features they can get right and rather offer less but that in almost perfect condition. Other companies tried to wow by features but cared less about the finished state.
    Maps was simply not ready for prime time. They didn't test it enough. It seems as if they only sparingly test internet services. Some tech bloggers said it is a problem with the management. They are good at lab testing hardware but they are lazy with big scale web services. Even under Jobs that was a problem although Jobs had his education and expertise actually in networking & communication afaik.
    There is a huge amount of add money in Maps and they wanted it for themselves but they should have tested if they can deliver comparable quality before making a switch. It does hurt their reputation imo much more than any of the other smaller issues.

16. aldo82 macrumors regular

the 'big thing' of the iphone 4s was siri which was released in beta, highly crippled outside of the US and to many was not very good. Apple don't always get features right before they release. Maps is clearly their biggest mistake though because siri was adding a new feature, maps was replacing something that worked weel with something much worse

17. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

I know someone who switched to the dark side because of maps. This is obviously a software thing right now and will be improved as time goes on. If he had a problem with hardware, I could better understand. :confused:

18. ARSC macrumors 6502

The have just tried maps.

Google have 7000 people working on maps alone and they are in the game for the longest time.

give time to apple they will strike back :)

19. Ran7 macrumors regular

Apple specifically markets its build quality and the look of their products as an emphasized differentiator. You may not have bought it partly for apples reputation in industrial design but you cant deny that as something they have marketed as a branding advantage.

As far as it being foxconns fault, are you saying it woudl be foxconns fault and problem for any fault in iphen 5?

foxconn is not an "ODM" for Apple.

And legally if it came new out of the box scratched, at least in the states, you can insist on not getting a refurb.

----------

If a product is marketed with a particular emphasis over competition for its build quality, industrial design and beauty, as Apple's products intentionally and heavily are, there is going to be blowback. It isn't the buyers who created these expectations out of thin air.

20. mykem macrumors regular

I'm sorry but everything you've just said can't hardly be based on actual facts. As an example, did Steve Jobs actually had his education in networking and communication? If you're referring to his formal education, here's what actually occurred:

"Following high school graduation in 1972, Jobs enrolled at Reed College in Portland, Oregon. Reed was an expensive college which Paul and Clara (Jobs adopted parents) could ill afford. They were spending much of their life savings on their son's higher education.[42] Jobs dropped out of college after six months and spent the next 18 months dropping in on creative classes, including a course on calligraphy.[44] He continued auditing classes at Reed while sleeping on the floor in friends' dorm rooms, returning Coke bottles for food money, and getting weekly free meals at the local Hare Krishna temple.[45] Jobs later said, "If I had never dropped in on that single calligraphy course in college, the Mac would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced fonts."[45]"

His first job was as a technician at Atari.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg although I'm quite sure there's no malicious intent on your part, it would be great if most of us go beyond simply stating opinions and misconceptions and use some facts as the basis to our comments.

21. iSayuSay, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Well as you said you "only" own iPhone.

Try buy a $2300 retina MBP that lags, having image retention on the display, or a screwed up component so Apple wants you to replace the whole thing, under warranty or not, you'll lose time for having it repaired.

Try get a $3000 MacPro or iMac that suddenly stop working on day X which you might need that for works and projects.

Like it or not, at some point you're paying more than you should when you buy Apple products for whatever reasons. Mac and iProducts are not the most cost-efficient products since they claimed to have an excellent support and customer services.

So yeah .. go buy a $3000++ Mac computer and you'll change your expectations. If I want a nicked, chipped, scratched, or creaking products, I could go with cheapo Samsung, HP or Dell. I wouldn't complain if my crap $200 Samsung display creaking or little bit scratched here and there. It would be tolerable considering the amount of money I paid for it.

So sorry you're too easily impressed by :apple: :cool:

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

IMO Apple sets themselves up for the criticism. The OP states Apple doesn't claim to be perfect, but I disagree. They purposely overinflate people expectations. They make claims of making a perfectly assembled iPhone 5 (the 28 MP camera shots during production), but them deliver phones with nicks and scratches. They purposely overestimate battery life (which is later proved wrong by media testing). They stated that their Maps were "the most beautiful, powerful mapping service ever” (which they have since retracted). They used fake, perfectly clear pictures to depict FaceTime initially (then they pulled those shots too). They claimed the iPad was "magical". They raved about how innovative the iPhone 4's new antenna design was, when they knew the antenna design was inherently flawed (hence the uncharacteristic release of the bumpers - coincidence, I think not).

As you can see, Apple does portray themselves as a company that is perfect. And when you do that, you are opening yourself up to a high level of scrutiny. Apple deserves the complaints they get, especially when they are the richest company on this planet and charge exuberant prices for their products.

23. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Why do people make silly threads like these in the iPhone section? :mad:

24. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

If I'm a Samsung marketing staff, I will promote hate in Apple forums too!

25. molingrad macrumors member

It costs a lot of money. Why is thus a conundrum for you?