Why do some people like to preach?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by greygray, Nov 7, 2009.

1. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Atheists welcome. I mean, why do some members here come here, preach a hell lot, batter back and forth and tell you that you will die or you will blah blah blah if you don't follow the bible/other religious book. Religion should never be force-fed and nobody will bother to listen to you even if you preach your head off and force people to accept what your religion teaches you! :rolleyes:

Anybody with me? Thoughts?

2. Queso macrumors G4

We're all guilty of preaching occasionally, whether our sermons be based on religion or a political position. Evangelising our viewpoint is the thing that leads to us spending time posting in a PRSI forum :)

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Amen to that, OP, I am certainly with you. Actually, I grew up in a most oppressive, actually suffocating, religious environment (not blaming my parents in any way, they were liberals), so yes, I know - nay, I have lived - what you describe.

What bothers me most is the certainty of such people, almost certainly bred of the belief that a divinity has inspired their world view. Yes, indeed, why preach, instead, in a spirit of tolerance, why not let people find their own way to salvation?

Cheers

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You're going to go to hell with that kind of talk.

5. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

There's a few people in Toronto that like to preach on street corners.

Maybe all preachers have one thing in common: mental illness?

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

"Beliiefv in JEEESSUS"
    "*mumble mumble holy GAHD"

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, many people preach here. Just look at all of the sermons against Glenn Beck, Fox News, etc.:D

8. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

Lol. You say I'm going to hell. ****, I'm damned! :rolleyes::p:D

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I preach rationality. I'm a real ******* that way. :)

Thing is, we all preach the things we believe in. An exchange of opinion is basically two-way preaching. You try to convince the other party that you are right/know better/bla bla.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just because someone is an atheist doesn't mean they don't preach. These forums crawl the the preachiest of atheists. There are a few preachy christians, but atheists here take the cake.

I'm not complaining. People are lying if they say they don't like preaching. Sure, they might not like certain subjects, but no one doesn't like preaching.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm not sure why. People should be left alone to choose the type of computer they want that makes them happy.

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Interesting there would be a thread here about this. I've been reading just about everything in this sub-forum during the past 6 months or so and spot-reading for much longer than that and I've not seen one single instance of this. The closest it's come is where a few people talked about what the bible had to say on a specific topic. I've simply not seen anyone preach "God" here at all. Plenty of opinions and soap-boxes for them but nothing on God.

So where is this question even coming from? What, this is a preemptive strike or something? Or some misunderstanding about something you misread? And the way you say it "a hell [of a] lot" it's like happening all the time here. Yeah? Where?

Whatcha smoke'n bro??

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Really? Who's doing that? Because I haven't seen that in these forums. Sure, I've read posts from believers here, but nobody threatening me with death or "blah blah blah."

More importantly, if it bothers you so much, why are you reading it?

14. Surely Guest

Surely

Are you, by any chance, talking about the old guy at the NW corner of Yonge and Dundas? Is he still doing his thing there?

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

There is a well established theory on this point that says if you make people to understand how deeply in trouble you feel, explain to them about your insomnia, and then convince them of the seriousness of your infant retention policy, they can be persuaded to forego the urge to preach.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The great thing about some countries is freedom of speech.

Imagine what it would be like, and some posters on Macrumors probably live in countries without freedom of speech, not to be able to express one's opinions.

Right now, I have been harassed by a person with some strong cult ties, but the good thing is I don't have to listen, and they don't have to take offense since they also know it's a free country (USA). In some other context, their words, or my refusal to listen, could lead to a war or violence. Their cult has been attacked physically by some haters and some of their cult members have attacked "non-believers", but basically violence between the cult and non cult members has been fairly rare.

I think the freedom of speech I grew up with allows me to have friends who have different beliefs, or even no beliefs.

17. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Dude WTF you smokin? you preach about the new world order calling everyone who doesn't believe it exists stupid. get a grip.

18. greygray thread starter macrumors 68000

greygray

I come across it and it irritates me. Like graywolf and his preaching fantasies. Look at the thread about "the conservative bible". You'll get what I mean. ;)

19. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Can you be any more off topic or irrelevant to what's being discussed?

The discussion was started by saying:

"why do some members here come here, preach a hell lot, batter back and forth and tell you that you will die or you will blah blah blah if you don't follow the bible/other religious book. Religion should never be force-fed..."

I admitted there were plenty of soap boxes for all the opinions - like mine on the NWO for example. So, umm, like, err, WHAT?

Some people's parents, I swear!!! Gah!

20. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I have read and replied in that thread. I didn't see any death threats.

Besides, he's just a religious guy with his beliefs, let him have those. There are plenty of atheists here with their own beliefs. Disagree all you like, but one person's beliefs and opinions are no better than another's simply on the basis of being different.

Now it sounds to me like you've gone from saying you're being "force-fed" religion to saying "it irritates" you. If you keep thinking about it, it might just become only a minor annoyance, then you'll eventually reach the point where you finally realize it isn't worth getting yourself worked up over. You're on the right track.

21. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

haha good one;)

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I preach to give them a taste of their own medicine. Vindication!

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The thing about forums is you can go off on tangents as long as they somehow relate to the topic, so yes, he can bring up your NWO posts just as you can bring up my "not fighting for freedom" posts and they are both equally relevant to the topic.

24. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I never questioned whether he could or couldn't.

Really, can no one here read English?

25. Shivetya macrumors 65816

and you are doing what exactly?

I guess we were short of religion bashing threads again. Is the quota met yet for November?