Why do texts appear in reverse chronological order in lock screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Apr 27, 2012.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

This makes it unnecessarily difficult to read the texts in lock screen, as they are backwards. Doesn't make any sense

2. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

It makes perfect sense to me. They are not in 'reverse' chronological order, but because the lock screen not only shows texts but any notification from any app, the newest notification appears on the top and the old ones just keep going down. Because it's a 'notification' area, you want to see the latest on the top.

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Hmm I understand that reasoning but it's still much less functional that way, when your brain is trained to read them the other way

4. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Sounds like it is time for some re-training lol:p

5. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

What if im busy and get a text asking if im watching the football then do you want to know the scores which I dont because I have recorded it at home the last text sent was 1-0 and shows up at the top :mad:

6. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Are you being sarcastic?

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Are you actually reading the entire thread of text from the lock screen?

----------

It looks like he is post padding for some reason.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

This seems like its only an issue of you frequently receive multiple texts from the same person without responding or are involved in group messages often. It's a valid concern but you have to realize it only exists for a small minority of users. More customization in the notification area would be nice, but I don't see it being "fixed" anytime soon

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I disagree, how it works now is way more logical than what you prefer.

10. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How so? You naturally read things backwards? That's amazing, you should be on tv.

And dccorona, I don't think it's necessarily a minority of users, plenty of people receive multiple texts in a row from the same person

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Most of the notifications I get are emails and calendar alerts and missed calls. So my notifications are not a sequence of texts in a conversation but rather independent items.

I guess that most people do not follow a conversation through the notification screen. So for them having the newest notification on the top and the oldest disappearing at the bottom makes more sense.

yep, the solution would be to allow users to have a text section in the notification window. but apple is slow with adopting things like this.

12. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Oh yea I forgot all notifications show up in default, I turned the rest off because I dont use them. Texts and calls are really the only thing I need to see in lock screen. Why would anyone want their lock screen flooded with non-urgent notifications that they can check in the notification center? It seems like another example of something implemented simply because it can be

13. lordofthereef, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I agree. I receive texts like this as if they were IMs. Often times I receive 3-4 texts when I could have just received one. SMS can do 160 characters. Why do 4 texts at 40 characters a pop when you can do one? I honestly don't get that.

That said, I see where you are coming from, but you should understand that text viewing on the lock screen wasn't designed, at least in my opinion, to allow you to follow an entire conversation. It's designed to allow you to see your most recent texts. Individual texts, on the lockscreen, are treated as individual alert events, which is why they are "backwards"; the most recent text is the most recent event alert.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Urgency is a matter of opinion. Depending on your job, emails can be pretty urgent. So can a reminder to be somewhere or do something outside of your normal schedule.

15. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

16. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

As someone else said, the lockscreen isn't meant to read through conversations or something like that. You get notifications, and the newest one will be on top because, well, it's the newest notification.

I just find it logical that new things come on top. For example: let's say we've got four books. Book A, B, C and D.

First you read book A. You put it down. Then you read book B, you put it on top of book A. Then you read book C, you put it on top of book B. Then you read book D, you put it on top of book C. You just stack them on top of each other - you don't put the oldest book you read on top.

Notifications are the same: you stack them on top of each other.

17. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Well, emails and missed calls and calendar items are urgent and sometimes important. I have a passcode set on the iPhone so I don't want to unlock the iPhone every 10 min just to see if there is a relevant email. Texts are not urgent. I can answer them later.

Seems Apple has a seen this usage pattern frequently enough to make the notification screen for that. I noticed that most of my non iPhone friends use more texts while most of the iPhone and Blackberry owners prefer email. I'm not sure if this is a general trend or just in my circle.