Why do the rich pursue political office?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Honestly it seems like a mostly thankless job that doesn’t pay well. Why deal with the aggravation?

And most of the time they aren’t in touch or can’t relate to the struggles of the common people and if they really analyzed things before jumping in they would see that following the will of the people would probably be determental to their own success. With that said, do they do it to insure the will of the people doesn’t get in the way of their success? That’s just messed but in most cases so is their performance in office.

2. 0007776 Suspended

The reason why people run for office is going to be different for each individual, so I don't think you can come up with a definitive reason. However your reasons would likely lie somewhere on a spectrum from wanting to do it to improve conditions for everyone to wanting to do it to become a corrupt politician and make even more money off of it.

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

4. 0007776 Suspended

So you honestly think no one runs for office for any other reason?

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I'm sure some rich people generally want to help people. Maybe their family has a history of service to this country in the military or elected office and its their way of continuing in their father's or mother's footsteps. Maybe they think something is wrong with this country and they can fix it. Maybe the rich have more time on their hands and can leave their jobs and pursue this. Maybe they or someone they know was wronged in someway by our laws or let down by the government.

Pretty much the same set of possibilities a poor person would have.

6. IWantItThatWay Suspended

To be fair, I think poor people would be more likely to abuse power (from my experience).

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Poorer people, or people who grew up poor, can't usually afford to run for office.

8. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Yeah there's a reason for that though. Most poor people I know are poor by their own choice, and can be very selfish/rude.

If you're poor in America, it's your fault (not including the recession of course).

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Almost universally by giving someone power the most likely outcome is for them to abuse it.There may be a handful of cases of people given power who didn't abuse it but I can't think of any.

10. NightGeometry macrumors regular

When I was in school I was on the school council (a body made up of four students, I think, from each year, and a selection of teachers). We discussed and voted on items of interest and effected some change. That was... far too long ago, and I can't remember anything of use we did, but i do remember there were some material changes (I believe we voted for making sixth form students (16 /17 year olds), not have to wear blazers and ties, for example, now i think back).

I suspect that wasn't a peculiar setup to the school I was in, nor a particularly English thing.

I wanted to be part of that council not for power, nor to learn how politics works, but because I felt it was a civic duty. I know those other two reason did explain some of the other people who volunteered though.

It seems likely some rich people go in to politics for each of those three reasons and more. In order to exert power for their own purpose, in order to understand better how the political process works, and because of a driving civic duty. Rich people are more likely to be able to afford to spend the most precious resource, time, to achieve this. Thus I would expect politics to attract more rich people than poor, whatever their drive.

11. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m not sure what you would be specifically thinking about, but I think rich people abuse power on a far grander scale than the poor.

12. 0007776 Suspended

Rich people tend to have more ability to abuse power since they have more power to begin with, but I think if we were to go to a system where politicians were appointed at random and your wealth had no impact on it you would see just as much corruption if not more on the part of poor people who are put in a position of power than on the part of the rich.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That’s not my experience.

14. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Really? Come down to Skid Row in L.A. or some tent cities in San Francisco.

There's no excuse to be poor this day and age. My aunt was mass Facebooking people a few months ago because her water faucet broke. Well guess why she didn't have money to get it fixed? She bough an Xbox One + a ton of drugs!

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Richer people don’t know what it’s like to be short of money. Poor people don’t know what it’s like outside their community. For good government you need both.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    She doesn’t sound poor...

Poor people would know a tradesman who could fix it cheap.

16. IWantItThatWay Suspended

She's very poor.

Why? Because of her choices.

Can you give me an explanation on how someone can be poor in the West in this day and age?

I look at "poor" neighborhoods in the USA, but these people always have nice phones, cars, etc. etc. You go to the welfare office and there are a ton of nice cars parked outside. There's a WIC office near me and it's very rare to see a beat up car.

I understand recovering from the Great Recession, but I really just can't see how to be poor in the USA or Europe. I almost can't even fathom it.

17. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Yes, they do, but they seldom attain it.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The poor in my neighbourhood don’t generally have nice cars. They might have a nice TV. But generally they aren’t eating out in restaurants and the TV is their primary entertainment.

And you can be poor if you have mental health issues - or just you were unlucky, perhaps you had a child as a teenager.

19. IWantItThatWay Suspended

In other words, choices a person makes.

That's my point.

20. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

So if you're born into poverty you should hop out of the cradle and go live in another zip code?

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Getting pregnant as a teenager is generally down to chance. Unless of course you have an abortion.

22. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

It really has nothing to do with being “rich”. FWIW, there are many ways to be rich, money, family, luck, etc. In many instances it is a personality trait. Many of the “Rich” are prior business creators / owners or held high positions in their field and have money as a result of that. Their personalities crave that control and many still do have “heart” and want to do good for the people who they feel are not willing or able to step up for whatever reasons.

I am a business creator. A good friend of mine close to 20 years ago told me not to jeapordize my then career to pursue my now business, rather, pursue something in local government to satisfy my desire to be hands on in starting something “my way”. I am extremely happy I did not take his advice. ;).

23. IWantItThatWay Suspended

Having sex is not down to "chance."

(Rape of course is the exception)
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2018 ---
    Explain what you mean.