Why do we need ultra portable laptops when smartphones are very powerful now days?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Jul 29, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Why do we need ultra portable laptops including the Macbook Air when smartphones are very powerful now days?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Because smartphones have tiny screens and I could never do "work" on a phone.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So what exactly can you do with your smartphone, other than play Angry Birds and send SMS? What about writing a document or multitasking? Besides, MBA runs circles around any smartphone.

4. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

You should be making the comparison to tablets (well, iPad), not to smartphones.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Okay, I'll bite.

Why do we need tablets including the iPad when smartphones are very powerful now days?

6. simsaladimbamba, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Because we created those needs?

And one of twopoinsixthree of your posts is the first post in your threads.

7. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

My phone can multitask just fine, and yes I can write documents on my phone using google docs.

8. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

^This. Try writing up an entire proposal on your phone from scratch (and quickly) and you'll see why there is a need for ultra portable laptops.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You can write documents on a smartphone? Go ahead. The rest of us have real work to do.

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Because laptops can do a lot more than just "browse casually" on the interwebz. Hence we need ultraportables.

Because tablets give you more screen-space, are easier to use, you can do things faster. Hence we need tablets.

Because smartphones are super-portable. Always with you (Most of the time). Can do most quick things with it while on-the-go. Hence we need smartphones.

There are 3 different markets, for three different products.

11. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Ask the tens of millions of iPad users (the numbers will only increase), ask Samsung, Motorola, HP, etc.

The entire industry is shifting strategies toward tablets.

Ask the industry leaders why they're moving in that direction.

At then end of the long tunnel full of questions and confusion you'll probably find an obvious answer.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Seconded. Anything serious, I want to do on my MBP. This is why I have traditionally avoided smart phones, although I probably will purchase iphones for the wife and me when my current contract expires. If you can't afford a laptop, smart phones are a great thing. Due to lesser size, they possess a greater degree of portable connectivity, but can't compete with laptops for serious work. :)

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree. At the end of the day, for extended written assignments (reports, long papers, etc.) nothing beats a proper keyboard.

Smart phones are not pleasant to write with for long periods of time, - whereas they're perfect for text and short snappy emails; and, while Ican see that iPads are incredibly portable, physically, I'm not comfortable writing on them for any length of time.

As fireshot91 says, three products which are aimed at three different markets.

Cheers

14. anez macrumors 6502

anez

My iPhone keeps me connected to the internet when I'm out and about without needing anything bigger than a jacket or pants pocket to keep it in.

My MBA keeps me connected to the internet when I travel and allows me to create and edit documents as well as do heavy internet browsing without tearing my hair out the way I would if I had to rely on my phone for those things.

My iPad has been gifted to my mother, because with with both products above, I really had no need of it. I do miss the games sometimes, though.

Of the three, I think the tablet is probably the least 'necessary', since I can't imagine trying to get proper work done on my phone-- but I couldn't get other things done without it.

15. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Even if I can type and what not and a phone, a laptop is much more reliable and faster than a smartphone. Like Hellhammer said, really, smartphones are only good for apps and texting. Typing on Google Docs with a smartphone would be incredibly ineffecient. And even then, you can't use all the other Microsoft Office softwares, which are decently important.

16. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Because each household requires at least 6 devices to post threads to the community discussion asking random questions.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Smartphones are great for staying connected, email, light document editing or creating. But I can't take notes on them during lectures and I sure can't type a 12-15 page term paper on one.

18. davidinva macrumors 6502a

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

for the same reasons we need forks, spoons, knives, chopsticks, and other utensils instead of just a spork.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

while smartphones are catching up, they're not there yet.

tablets are getting even closer, but still are just missing some input speed/usability that laptops offer.

imo.

21. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

^These. There are times I take my MacBook even though I stand little chance of getting a decent net connection... because I can get some work done.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I use my iPhone for texting/email/casual browsing/several apps and games.

All work is done on my laptop (with a second display and external keyboard and now a wacom bamboo). The only way a phone could replace that is with a dock to connect it to all my stuff.

Edit: I just read the thread title again and realised it's for ultra portable laptops, so my response is kinda invalid.

23. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

comparing a tiny phone screen to a laptop ... makes no sense