Why do women wear make up

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Nobita, Nov 28, 2010.

?

Do you like girls with makeup?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Not really.

27 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. Nobita macrumors 6502

I've just been to a birthday party, and for once my eyes were wide open. All my girl friends came with their best dress on, with their makeup on. Some of them tried to show as much skin as they can while looking polite enough. I swear some of them look completely different with their makeup on.

What I'm wondering is, when did this start? When did women believe that men likes them with their makeup on? With clothes that shows so much of their skin? I, for one, don't mind girls with simple t shirt with jeans or skirt. I don't mind girls without makeup. In fact I like my wife the most when she's not wearing any makeup, going to the park with me.

If any woman's reading this, I do want your opinion as well. I asked some of my friends and they did say that they don't care much for makeups either. So is this some kind of social hallucination that women believe they need to do when in fact they really don't need to?

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I agree that there's definitely a thing as too much, but I've met some pretty girls that looked great without makeup that still looked even better with it. :>

Wish I didn't say that, but I did. XD I have a hard time answering this question without answering why guys shouldn't wear makeup. Perhaps because women don't have nearly the facial hair problems men do XD

3. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah ok... I see your point. That also happened once with my wife. But when she put it on too often it does not look that special anymore... I guess you got a very valid point in here. Many people also tells me that women needs to learn how to properly apply makeups, not just apply them...

4. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Yar, see my edit :)

My mom loves makeup, but she looks just as good with it as without it. Whatever I suppose :)

People are funny beings, none of us really know what to do with each other lol. I think you just experienced a good example of our collective awkwardness.

5. Nobita thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, i guess. We're all funny beings. Some women will think we're crazy because we look at apple rumors everyday and hope for 128GB iPad with camera rumors.

My good friend is a PhD student in psychology, and he believes that this is just one of women's survival skill. Deep down they want to kill other women and got the best man available on the planet. Since neither of those are practical and ethical, thus they are killing other women by competing in their clothing and makeups...

But that's just his two cents

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Makeup is just one more way to help catch and keep a mate, and I think women are much more competitive in that area than men are.

And it does work. A beautiful woman can look even better with subtle makeup.

On the other hand, things like heavy eyeliner can be a real a turn-off...unless you happen to like the trashy/slutty look.

I think women with mediocre-to-poor looks use makeup to try to "catch up" to the more beautiful ones. And a woman with such looks can be helped a bit by makeup -- again as long as it's subtle. If you've ever seen a not particularly good-looking woman go overboard with makeup, you know what I mean. It looks desperate.

On the matter of showing skin, it's even more complicated. Guys are guys -- if a woman's got a great figure, they're gonna appreciate seeing it. And if you're a woman and you've got a great figure, I suppose there's nothing wrong with showing it off. But where does sexy end and slutty begin?

When I was young the trend for women was hot pants -- really short shorts. And as a guy, you better believe I loved that time. :D But I also appreciated that hot pants were not exactly friendly to those women who had heavy legs, or stick legs.

The point is, though, that hot pants alone (at least at that time) didn't look like "overdoing" it. Combined with a T-shirt and moderate makeup, a girl could achieve a sexy girl-next-door look. Now, add a "big hair" do and stiletto heels, and you're heading into streetwalker territory. Make the pants leather and you're definitely there. :p

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The not-so subtle underlying question here is: why are women so weird?

As I've gotten older, I've come to see that as weird as women are, men are even worse.

And while you could spend your time trying to figure women out, your energy is best spent simply making yourself a better person.

It's not about how nutty the opposite sex is as a gender... it's about how nutty you are as a person.

That's the one life mystery you have some control over.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You've answered your own question.

Makeup: love the stuff... but I'm not yet quite at the level of many Italian women who will do their face just to go to the supermarket.

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I voted, Yes. I do like women who wear make up. [​IMG]

While it may be about attracting the opposite sex, I think it's more a competition between us girls! At least that is how I've come to see it. I'm not really interested in attracting men as I'm very happy with mine, but I still like knowing his eyes are on me and not someone else.

As far as showing skin, I can appreciate a beautiful woman as much as the guys (well, maybe not quite), but also find myself feeling jealous now that I'm getting older and can't really compete like I used to.

Anyway, in all seriousness, I have rosacea. My face is constantly pink and when I drink or get warm, my skin turns bright red. I'm very self-conscious about it, so I am one of those who puts on makeup just to go to the grocery store. I like for it to look natural though, and do my best to try to not look "made up."

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Most women in their 20s or under don't need it. But of course that's when the mating ritual is at its peak, so it's understandable.

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Most women don't wear makeup to attract men. Women compete amongst themselves even if there are no men around.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Isn't that kinda like a tree falling in the woods with nobody there to hear it...

:D

14. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I'm fine with it, don't like it when people go over board though.

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I don't compete with anyone in that sense. As long as I feel OK in my own skin and at ease with myself and the way I look, then what other women think isn't important in the slightest.

16. acurafan macrumors 6502a

sometimes in the mornings i tell my gf she's already beautiful, she doesn't need all that junk on; she says, you don't understand b/c you're a man...:confused:

wtf, good thing i didn't tell her i just use her for sex. :D

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its down to culture and personal opinions. Personally I don't really mind either way. Women's looks are totally over-rated by Western culture.

18. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I think women wear makeup to mostly please themselves ... same reason people style their hair certain ways ... self confidence.

IMO, makeup in moderation looks nice on all women :cool:

19. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I'm in marching band, so I get to see girls without any make-up on game days. Some girls are just naturally beautiful and don't really need make-up (but it doesn't hurt) while some girls... it helps. One thing is for sure, though. Too much make-up is about the most un-attractive thing ever. Ever. Bleh.

As for why they wear it, that's obvious. Most girls like to look pretty just like most guys like to feel macho. :cool:

20. 184550, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

184550 Guest

I don't mind a bit of make up on a girl.

That said, there is such a thing as too much make up.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Women look better with subtle makeup. They look like clowns when they overdo it.

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I agree with this. Some just don't need it and it actually takes away from their natural amazingness. Some it helps (ok a lot lol) but no one should just cake it on. It's the same thing with stuffing a bra. What's going to happen if you guys sleep together or wake up and the makeups gone.

You ain't fooling no one ladies! :p

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Men look better when they're subtly aggressive. They look like clowns when they overdo it.

24. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Why women wear makeup

The answer is quite simple.

Women wear makeup because other women wear makeup. Other women are the audience. Men's preferences don't have anything to do with it, although men are usually attracted to women who impress other women. There are many, many books written upon the subject of social status. Have fun with it.

25. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

why do men wear eyeliner? why do people get tattoos? why do folks do up their hair? the answer to all is they think it enhances them. its really more for their own feelings than for those around them. my lady would prefer for my hair to be short however i wear it based on how i feel.